IGNORED

Active Kef LS50

• 3 weeks later...
Might shake up the high end active market for sure. I mean Dynaudio is selling an active Focus speaker (below Contour and Confidence lines) as as the xD 200 for $5500 for an active speaker, and they basically charge double the price for the active version of the Excite line (Xeo).

So Kef charging only $600 more for the active LS50s means either it's not as high end of an active solution as Dynaudio's or they are giving a hell of a bang for the buck.

Definitely. The xeo and focus xD are I credible but yes they're expensive. The active, but unfortunately not wireless kefs will be very interesting

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

• 1 month later...
But Bluetooth is lower quality - right? even Apt-X.Will I be able to hear the difference ?? No idea.

Will Wi-fi sound better then BT Apt-X ?

Any reviews out there yet of actual setup and running LS-50 Wireless?

I see on Amazon they now list availability of Jan 15th 2017. Is this delay industry wide or just Amazon stocks?

Being network connected either WiFi or ethernet hard wired you will be much better off using these options. They will offer convenience and better sound quality.

If they use an app similar to the X 300a you can use the app to select music from your device you may already have like a phone or PC or a nas with your music.

If it is dlna compliant you will be able to use dlna apps like bubbleupnp or linn kazoo to integrate streaming services in addition to nas/local storage.

Bluetooth is good for family/friends for ease of use.

-Peach Audio Balanced Isolation Power Supply, Uptone LPS-1, Sonore Microrendu, Geek Pulse S Infinity, McIntosh MA2275, Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra

-Cambridge 752BD Oppomod PSU, Halcro MC50, Sonos ZP90 (Cullen Mod), Cyenne Audio CY-3100 DAC , Denon AVR4520, Aaron ATS-5, Aaron CC-250, Epos Epic 5, Cambridge Audio Azur 551R V2

Having a look at those tablets.

OK so is it really just a waste of time to be trying to get 24/192 working? Perhaps its not really worth the hassle at this time? I mean, how much music is out there for this anyway? Maybe within a year or two devices will catch up and this will be much easier to achieve ?

Until then, a more basic tablet like the links point too? I just dont want to be continually looking for the next greatest. I would like to install it and forget all about what plugs into what. At least for another 5 years. By then who knows what will be the latest buzz of new tech out there

Please see my above post

Correct.

I dont know anywhere near enough about computer audio. Its confusing and a fast moving target. Unless you have many many spare hours to read forum after forum its not an easy thing to come up to speed on.

But what i do know is playback from a computer in one of its myriad of forms is convenient.

Active speakers are what i want - they suit my situation in so many ways that i wont go into. They just fit. Perfectly.

Now which ones?

devialet phantom? Or Kef X300WA ? Was all set to go with the KEF's because i think the Devialet are too much speaker for me right now. Done stacks of reading on them. Seem to be too many issues with them right now.

Now come the LS 50 Actives. The choice is easy for me.

Now how to feed them. As i said i want minimalist. I dont want endless audio toys to fiddle with. A tablet seems ideal to start off with. The Tablet i linked too seems ideal given its high res output. But i dont know how to configure the chain from Tablet to Speaker to achieve that high res *IF* it even makes sense to worry about it.

And that is what has driven my comments.

SO i would love to know how to get 24/192 from that tablet to those speakers. I am set on these speakers. The whole concept works for me. I am sure it works for many others as well. I am not interested in separates, and the latest DAC and amp etc etc. All in one box is just perfect and to come from a high end manufacturer is perfect. Just add tablet and go. I think that's a great place to start.

Answer in bold was only intended to make my replies to you easier to see by standing out a little. Answering inline keeps it all in context. No offense intended.

Please see my above posts

• 5 months later...

Is it possible or is anyone currently streaming Tidal etc to these via Linn Kazoo or Bubble Upnp?

8 hours ago, erniejade said:

In my livingroom rig( Pioneer sc27 HT receiver) I am using a chromecast audio, optical out to the receiver, using bubbleUpnp and tidal. It works well.

Ahh ok but you cant stream it direct to the speaker via bubble upnp? There is no dlna/upnp or actual wireless functionality yet?

1 hour ago, erniejade said:

Bubble can stream right to the speakers. My cell is old ( Samsung galaxy s3 ) so it chugged a little with uncompressed stuff but tidal streamed no problem. No problem with flac either. Just the uncompressed wav took it a few seconds to kick in.  After it started, no problem at all. 

That's great news thank you very much for the reply. It seems so many people buy streamers etc when an app is all that is needed,  Linn kazoo is a pretty good app with tidal integrated too. 

Hope it all works well for you. 

In Australia these speakers are $3,800 rrp and the first pair used (secondhand) has just been advertised for $3,000. Even considering exchange rates we get stooged here. 

Yes there are import taxes etc but still the local distributors/wholesalers put a fair mark up. Quite a lot of new and used products are imported privately from the USA, Singapore etc for less than buying locally.

10 minutes ago, Toolio said:

$3,000 in Canada, plus 13% tax. Not quite as bad (C$ and Australian dollar are just about par now), but still bad.

Still the reality of a good speaker/amp/dac/streamer/simple dsp for that price is hard to beat. A sub or 2 and it's all you really need so if you think of it that way it is pretty good.

Here Darko says a full PS audio setup with the passives is only slightly better/different.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/3x1_2/1.html

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/03/one-more-time-with-feeling-the-kef-ls50-wireless-at-6moons/

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Young said:

Hi, I'd like to ask for your experience and advice. 

I've just owned a new pair of active KEF LS50 for 2 days and is quite disappointed. It sounds not as good as the one I auditioned at the store. Is it normal because it should need time for break in? Will it get better over time?

Thanks in advance.

Read post incorrectly

3 hours ago, Young said:

At the shop, even it was played via wireless, it sounded stunning for me. At home neither wireless nor pc mode (connect to my laptop via usb) would get even near. The music files I think are also same quality (cd lossless) as those played at the shop.

Sorry I read your post incorrectly and thought it was about the passives..... Room acoustics would be the biggest factor compared to the store so long as your speakers aren't faulty. Was the demo room treated with wall panels?

• 5 months later...
17 minutes ago, canali said:

hi guys,...could really do with your imput kindly.

i'm on the fence about these speakers given the 'issues' noted.

but then again, i don't wish to go to the MUCH more expensive dynaudio focus xd20

(3x the cost and really out of my budget..but they have great reliablity/connectivity reviews)...or to separates.

are most of you overall happy with the purchase and would buy them again?

also for my desktop setup with focal alpha 50s (and headphone rig)  i'm using Roon, Tidal, a microrendu (1.4 upgrade) and lps1 power supply...would the microrendu/lps1 still make a difference now that Roon is in the picture...or is it redundant? i just read one gent above noting people who have the MR are finding it not necessary now with Roon (i always thought the signal from ethernet/usb would always be cleaner with a MR or such...guess i'm wrong?)

many thanks for any imput.....i have to decide tomorrow if ill take a pair at US1750.

sure it's a sale, but if in the longer run proves it's a hassle with repeat pairs (returns/exhanges) needing to get it right then i'm wary of spending my hard earned money.

Maybe try find a set of xd200 at a discounted price especially if you already have a uR. 

I've not lived with the active kefs but have heard both. Dyns sound amazing. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you're only worried about the colour of the cables then there are a few products to sort that out. Expandable cable sleeving and there is wrap around too. Very cheap and pretty much comes in ever colour possible

https://www.ebay.com.au/b/Braided-Cable-Sleeving-Cable-Guards/155057/bn_72172560

• 2 years later...
33 minutes ago, PAR said:

I am just amused by the irony of the fact that the "W" in LS50W stands for "Wireless". Just look at all of those wires you bought 😉. And , at prices in my country (UK), your upgrades would have cost more than the speakers did in the first place.

That's why I named this thread "active". They aren't wireless like Dynaudios (obv need power cables)

• 6 months later...
5 hours ago, Tait said:

Thought I'd revive this thread by describing the improvements that adding an Innuos Phoenix has done to my LS50's and MK2 Zenith server setup.

The improvement is not subtle.

Soundstage has improved by quite some margin, instruments now seem to have their own space; the noise floor has dropped as I'm hearing things which I've never heard before; timing has improved (feets tapping a lot more!); The top end has a lovely shimmer to it.

Yes it's expensive, but having listened to it for a few weeks now, I can say it's the best upgrade I've made.

Definitely worth a look for anyone that has the KEFs but is looking to improve the sound even further.

Very happy this thread is still going. I still don't own them but have heard them quite a few times now.

Can I ask if you have compared this to using the ethernet input ie Roon/DLNA etc via ethernet

• 3 months later...