IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 Operation and Pre-purchase thread

8 minutes ago, elcorso said:

Good to have news about AlexK (SandyK) !

No rips with IR, I'm waiting for AlexK research.

Best,

Roch

I'm also glad to hear that AlexK is well and will be back with us soon.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Hi Alex 

i am currently running LPS1 with my iso regen. I am also using WEISS int 204 DDC at the same time. I am just wondering if the LPS1 can be used to power ISO regen and the int 204 simultaneously via a Y splitter cable ?

Thx,

Joey

Innuos Zen Mini Mk2 --> uptone ISO regen/LPS-1 --> Weiss Int 204/ifi ipower 9V --> Jeff Rowland Aeris/PSU --> Jeff Rowland Corus/PSU --> Jeff Rowland 625 --> ProAc Supertower MK2

Cables: chord company/wireworld/oyaide

19 hours ago, Joey28 said:

Hi Alex 

i am currently running LPS1 with my iso regen. I am also using WEISS int 204 DDC at the same time. I am just wondering if the LPS1 can be used to power ISO regen and the int 204 simultaneously via a Y splitter cable ?

Thx,

Joey

Hi Joey:

The Weiss 204 looks like a very good unit.  And I am sure it will benefit from better power.    And no problem at all with powering both the ISO REGEN and the Weiss with a single LPS-1 (the combined load is still way under what the LPS-1 is capable of).

The galvanic isolation--from your computer's USB ground-plane--will be provided by the ISO REGEN.  

Yet since the INT204 does draw 5VBUS from the cable (ISO REGEN's USB output jack) to power its USB input stage, and since Weiss seems to include some digital isolators AFTER the USB stage (on the I2S lines into the S/PDIF-generating circuit), powering both the ISO REGEN (its downstream side--which is also the side where we have a 1A regulator dedicated to providing clean 5VBUS power) and the INT204 from a single LPS-1 will somewhat defeat the INT204's own isolation.  

But the sonic benefit of the LPS-1 powering the Weiss may outweigh the compromise.  So it will be cheap to try it, and if you like it (the LPS-1 powering the Weiss that is), then later on you could consider a second LPS-1 to dedicate to the task as such would restore the INT204's internal isolation to full function.

Hope the above makes sense.  Let me know if you need further clarification.

--Alex C.

On 7/19/2017 at 3:34 PM, Em2016 said:

Thanks John. I'll worry less about the quiet one then and now worry more about the clicking/ticking/switching one :$

That one is easily audible from meters away. Only with no music playing of course but you would definitely know it's on if you were blindfolded. And naturally, the more current being drawn, the more frequent the audible switching sound.

I always thought that was the normal one because I bought my first LPS-1 after reading about the Vinnie Rossi and that one initially had an audible switching noise (later it was silenced) so I thought that was normal all this time, even for the LPS-1.

Hi Alex

Are you kindly able to assist with this query?

I noticed another thread about audible clicks here:

18 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I am happy to exchange your unit for another.  Would like to try to hear such clicks myself, so maybe your unit will finally allow me to do so.  Please send me a PM and we can arrange for an exchange.

Best,

ALEX

Many thanks Alex, shall do.

14 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi Joey:

The Weiss 204 looks like a very good unit.  And I am sure it will benefit from better power.    And no problem at all with powering both the ISO REGEN and the Weiss with a single LPS-1 (the combined load is still way under what the LPS-1 is capable of).

The galvanic isolation--from your computer's USB ground-plane--will be provided by the ISO REGEN.  

Yet since the INT204 does draw 5VBUS from the cable (ISO REGEN's USB output jack) to power its USB input stage, and since Weiss seems to include some digital isolators AFTER the USB stage (on the I2S lines into the S/PDIF-generating circuit), powering both the ISO REGEN (its downstream side--which is also the side where we have a 1A regulator dedicated to providing clean 5VBUS power) and the INT204 from a single LPS-1 will somewhat defeat the INT204's own isolation.  

But the sonic benefit of the LPS-1 powering the Weiss may outweigh the compromise.  So it will be cheap to try it, and if you like it (the LPS-1 powering the Weiss that is), then later on you could consider a second LPS-1 to dedicate to the task as such would restore the INT204's internal isolation to full function.

Hope the above makes sense.  Let me know if you need further clarification.

--Alex C.

Alex, thx for your detailed reply

i finally started trying to power both Weiss 204 and ISO regen simultaneously by LPS1, but I don't seem to be able to get the IR working with the GI on as there are clicks and pops which (sometimes) drops the connection with the DAC.

however, it does sound very analog and smooth with the LPS1 powering the Weiss 204. :)

Will the sound further improve on the back of an additional LPS1? ?

thanks in advance,

Joey

Innuos Zen Mini Mk2 --> uptone ISO regen/LPS-1 --> Weiss Int 204/ifi ipower 9V --> Jeff Rowland Aeris/PSU --> Jeff Rowland Corus/PSU --> Jeff Rowland 625 --> ProAc Supertower MK2

Cables: chord company/wireworld/oyaide

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have x3 LPS1 but only one runs hot @50C, the others warm @ 40C (measured with a heat gun).

I know it is expected to generate heat but thought the difference between the units interesting and wondered if there is any reason for concern?

The "hot one" powers the PPA usb card said to draw 200mA after the "oven" is heated.The other warm LPS1 powers two ssd's via a spiliiter cable and the third LPS1 (warm) powers the ISOREGEN.

Cheers

David

Sound Minds Mind Sound

51 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Hi All,

I have x3 LPS1 but only one runs hot @50C, the others warm @ 40C (measured with a heat gun).

I know it is expected to generate heat but thought the difference between the units interesting and wondered if there is any reason for concern?

The "hot one" powers the PPA usb card said to draw 200mA after the "oven" is heated.The other warm LPS1 powers two ssd's via a spiliiter cable and the third LPS1 (warm) powers the ISOREGEN.

Cheers

David

Both units will run the same temp if handling the same load.  At 50C I can assure you that your PPA card is drawing a lot more than 200mA!  (that or your thermometer is off) What USB device is that PPA card then powering?  Remember the the 5VBUS load also gets added to the load.  Best way to know is to put a ammeter in line with the output of the LPS-1.  

In any case, heat is normal.  Stand them on edge for better cooling if you are worried.  Or just count on our 3 year warranty. 9_9

Best,

--Alex C.

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

Both units will run the same temp if handling the same load.  At 50C I can assure you that your PPA card is drawing a lot more than 200mA!  (that or your thermometer is off) What USB device is that PPA card then powering?  Remember the the 5VBUS load also gets added to the load.  Best way to know is to put a ammeter in line with the output of the LPS-1.  

In any case, heat is normal.  Stand them on edge for better cooling if you are worried.  Or just count on our 3 year warranty. 9_9

Best,

--Alex C.

Hi Alex,

The two port PPA usb card powers my DAC sans VBUS and a portable external HDD (where I keep my "B" music that does not fit on internal SSD).

the card is supposed to draw 750mA when heating the "oven" and 200mA at other times but as you say it might be more.

I'll try unplugging the HDD.

Either way I now know not to worry, so all good. Thanks Alex, as always.

Cheers

David

Sound Minds Mind Sound

• 2 weeks later...

I just removed my Lps-1 from my isoregen since my Schiit USB Gen5 board upgrade to my Schiit Yggy DAC seems to work just as well as the isoregen. I was thinking of selling but want to experiment using the LPS-1 to power my router since some have said this make a difference. The netgear router has an output of 12VDC  and 2.5 amps. Is the LPS-1 compatible with this?

On 9/23/2017 at 5:15 PM, lxgreen said:

The netgear router has an output of 12VDC  and 2.5 amps. Is the LPS-1 compatible with this?

Although the UltraCap LPS-1 has a maximum voltage setting of 7V--and 1.1A is max current capability--there is a very good chance that your Netgear router will run just fine from 7V.  I have run a number of routers/Ethernet switches from 7V even if they came stock with a 12V wart.  Internally there is nothing running from 12V--your router has DC-DC switching converters dropping the input voltage to 3.3V, 1.1V, etc.

So no harm whatsoever in giving it a try.

• 1 month later...

@mozes

If you don’t want to do yourself, you can purchase that special Y-spit for serial connecting two LPS-1. 

To serial connect is the same as serial two batteries. (Please two batteries after each other) There most be a single connection between one + and the other minus. 

Then you have left one + and one minus that give you the desired voltage based on switch settings. 

This is my $60 serial Y split:

7A5DCA11-3BCF-4A7C-B726-0935A6056E2C.jpeg

20 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

@mozes

If you don’t want to do yourself, you can purchase that special Y-spit for serial connecting two LPS-1. 

To serial connect is the same as serial two batteries. (Please two batteries after each other) There most be a single connection between one + and the other minus. 

Then you have left one + and one minus that give you the desired voltage based on switch settings. 

This is my $60 serial Y split:

7A5DCA11-3BCF-4A7C-B726-0935A6056E2C.jpeg

Thanks for sharing, I will check it out. 

• 2 months later...

Hi John S @JohnSwenson

I've seen you mention that you can power your Bottle Head DAC and microRendu with a single LPS-1 using a Y splitter cable.

But you've also said it's not ideal.

Since leakage current loops happen between AC power supplies (if I've understood all your great teachings properly), what is the issue with powering a DAC and microRendu with a single LPS-1, if it's not leakage currents that's the issue?

I understand the DAC and mR are not isolated if they share the same LPS-1 but if it's not leakage currents that's the issue, what are the other issues? And could this affect the DAC performance?

Cheers in advance

12 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi John S @JohnSwenson

I've seen you mention that you can power your Bottle Head DAC and microRendu with a single LPS-1 using a Y splitter cable.

But you've also said it's not ideal.

Since leakage current loops happen between AC power supplies (if I've understood all your great teachings properly), what is the issue with powering a DAC and microRendu with a single LPS-1, if it's not leakage currents that's the issue?

I understand the DAC and mR are not isolated if they share the same LPS-1 but if it's not leakage currents that's the issue, what are the other issues? And could this affect the DAC performance?

Cheers in advance

You have at least one connector and some cable in common. Almost all digital devices have rapidly changing load currents, these create noise across the impedance of the connectors and wire. Thus the load changes from device A are going to show up as increased noise on the power input to device B.

John S.

18 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

You have at least one connector and some cable in common. Almost all digital devices have rapidly changing load currents, these create noise across the impedance of the connectors and wire. Thus the load changes from device A are going to show up as increased noise on the power input to device B.

John S.

What happens if both the main leg and both legs in the Y-split have each a inline LT3045 (with voltage drop). A & B still show up as increased noise or is it reduced?

🎛️  Audio System