IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 Operation and Pre-purchase thread

Not sure if this question has been asked yet or not but my apologizes if I missed it.

Has anyone tested how noisy the Meanwell SMPS brick is that is used to charge the LPS-1? Either by probing around it with an AM radio or thru other means? I ask this knowing that from a SQ standpoint the device charging the LPS-1 is said to not matter but my curiosity is more to do with how the Meanwell SMPS could effect the other surrounding equipment and what effects it may have in polluting the AC line that its plugged into that may or may not be on or near the same leg of AC used to power other said equipment.

I'm interested in this LPS-1 but am concerned in placing this potentially noisy brick near my other gear.

Thanks

My LPS-1 is incoming from the most recent batch... excited... I'll be powering it from an ifi iPower 9V/2A. Is it OK to keep the LPS-1 on 24/7/365 powering the microRendu? Will this shorten the LPS-1's lifespan?

Thanks

Hi:

Thanks again for your order.

It is perfectly okay to leave your LPS-1/MicroRendu on all the time. You will not shorten the lifespan of either component by doing so.

Best,

--Alex C.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

• 4 weeks later...
Not sure if this question has been asked yet or not but my apologizes if I missed it.

Has anyone tested how noisy the Meanwell SMPS brick is that is used to charge the LPS-1? Either by probing around it with an AM radio or thru other means? I ask this knowing that from a SQ standpoint the device charging the LPS-1 is said to not matter but my curiosity is more to do with how the Meanwell SMPS could effect the other surrounding equipment and what effects it may have in polluting the AC line that its plugged into that may or may not be on or near the same leg of AC used to power other said equipment.

I'm interested in this LPS-1 but am concerned in placing this potentially noisy brick near my other gear.

Thanks

The Meanwell was tested by Uptone Audio before they selected it. It's as good as it gets, given the price point.

Furthermore, you can order the lps1 without the Meanwell and use something you do trust. Specs are on the Uptone website.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Both the iFi and Meanwell bricks causes hum in my system. Only linear power supplies didn't. Apart from a lab supply which was essential quiet, other power supplies to my LPS1 causes a range of hum.

And not sure leaving power on all the time is a good idea. Yes the equipment is designed to be left on but if your supply to the LPS1 goes bust like mine did (the cheap lab supply), my LPS 1 burnt out and was not covered under warranty. Luckily my microRendu which was connected at the time wasn't affected.

I'd think twice before leaving the LPS1 always on. Or at least be very sure of the quality of its power supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Both the iFi and Meanwell bricks causes hum in my system. Only linear power supplies didn't. Apart from a lab supply which was essential quiet, other power supplies to my LPS1 causes a range of hum.

With all due respect, you should look at other aspects of your system for the cause of the hum. I have Meanwells with the LPS-1s powering my two microRendus (headphone system and balanced system) and I can detect no hum even in very close listening. Each LPS-1 is plugged into into a Trip-Lite Isobar power strip that also powers the relevant DAC and amp (headphones: Bimby>Jotunheim, RCA cables; 2-channel: Yggy>Hegel H360 with XLR cable). I leave everything on except when away on long trips.

Yes of course it's my system. That's precisely the point. Although most systems probably will be fine since it's the recommended supply for the LPS1, some systems just don't work well with switching supplies including the recommended Meanwell. I wish there was a recommended linear supply also.

I went as far as installing an isolation transformer to reduce the hum to no avail. I've been advised it may be to do with imperfect isolation of the DC cable picking up signals. Ultimately it's probably simpler to use a good linear supply and be done with the problem.

And I too left the LPS1 and mR on continuously until it failed. Now when I leave it on all night I find myself checking each morning to see that it's still working.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Yes of course it's my system. That's precisely the point. Although most systems probably will be fine since it's the recommended supply for the LPS1, some systems just don't work well with switching supplies including the recommended Meanwell. I wish there was a recommended linear supply also.

I used one of these to power first a SoTM sMS-100 and then my first mR for a year or so, it stayed always on. As an mR PS, it is only a bit below LPS-1+Meanwell in overall signal quality. The specs match what the LPS-1 needs (you could get the spare one I have from me at a nice discount ;)). But I'd still investigate first what's causing your hum (ground loop?), as it seems surprising that you have that effect given that my systems are not especially well laid out, no fancy power cables (except for Sonore DC-4 cables from LPS-1 to mR), power conditioners, or cable routing, and still they are very quiet, very black backgrounds with no hint of hum or other interference.

I used one of these to power first a SoTM sMS-100 and then my first mR for a year or so, it stayed always on. As an mR PS, it is only a bit below LPS-1+Meanwell in overall signal quality. The specs match what the LPS-1 needs (you could get the spare one I have from me at a nice discount ;)). But I'd still investigate first what's causing your hum (ground loop?), as it seems surprising that you have that effect given that my systems are not especially well laid out, no fancy power cables (except for Sonore DC-4 cables from LPS-1 to mR), power conditioners, or cable routing, and still they are very quiet, very black backgrounds with no hint of hum or other interference.

Interested, thanks! I'll private message you.

I think the problem is in my usual set of equipment - I have the Vinnie's LIO DHT pre-amp which is ultra-cap powered and requires a good earth. And my YBA 1000 monoblock amps are floating themselves already. The microRendu feeds my RWAK240+ which is the battery powered AK240 modded by Vinnie. The sum of this equipment is fabulous sound through my Watt Puppy 6 with upgraded woofers but there is the hum to deal with. Simple solution is not the use switching power sources anywhere near the system and the hum goes away.

Hi there,

Juste 2 questions regarding everyday use of LPS-1 :

what s better ? =

- put it OFF everytime I finish my listening session

or

- leave it ON all the time

Will it be a problem if I put the LPS-1 OFF everyday (cut the power of the Meanwell SMPS) ?

Thanks in advance and nice day to everyone :)

CD40s (3DLab) - EDEL NMR (Engineered) -or- DAPHILE (Q1900itx (Asrock) + LPS 100W (HDPLEX) + tX-USBexp (SOtM) - HYDRA-Z (Audiobyte) + LPS-1 (UpTone) - BLACK DRAGON (Audiobyte) - 2 x Ncore NC400 (Hypex) - M4 (P. E. Léon) - Cables: (Mapleshade, Audioprana, Nordost, Referenz1017, Pangea, Zavfino, Elecaudio, Tomanek) + FMC (TPlink) & NAS (OMV)

Has anyone tried using the LPS1 for solid state drives? Assuming it can be done, I would like to know how many SSD's the unit can handle (I have 3 candidates in my server), what voltage SSD's use (5v seems to ring a bell) and how/where does one obtain the approriate cable(s). Thanks! -- David

Has anyone tried using the LPS1 for solid state drives? Assuming it can be done, I would like to know how many SSD's the unit can handle (I have 3 candidates in my server), what voltage SSD's use (5v seems to ring a bell) and how/where does one obtain the approriate cable(s). Thanks! -- David

Hi David:

SSDs can be a great application for an UltraCap LPS-1. SSDs draw far less that hard drives. Some of them draw under 1 watt. Yes, 5 volts is what they run on these days. This is the sort of cable you would need:

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Molex-Power-Adapter/dp/B00STNUB04

[EDIT: Deleted original link to SATA>DC barrel plug cable as poor David bought it and discovered it was a male SATA power connector. Above link is to female-SATA>Molex and will require DIY attachment of a DC barrel plug or jack.]

And if you wanted to try powering two SSDs from one LPS-1, you would want one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/OMNIHIL-Barrel-Splitter-2-1mm-Female/dp/B01E9JATN0

Regards,

--Alex C.

Hi David:

SSDs can be a great application for an UltraCap LPS-1. SSDs draw far less that hard drives. Some of them draw under 1 watt. Yes, 5 volts is what they run on these days. This is the sort of cable you would need:

https://www.moddiy.com/products/SATA-to-Gridseed-Power-Plug-(2.1mm-DC-Barrel-Plug).html

And if you wanted to try powering two SSDs from one LPS-1, you would want one of these:

Regards,

--Alex C.

Awesome, thanks Alex.

Hi David:

https://www.moddiy.com/products/SATA-to-Gridseed-Power-Plug-(2.1mm-DC-Barrel-Plug).html

Regards,

--Alex C.

Alex, Nice job finding these unique cables. Thanks Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Alex - I did a little research and found that my Samsung drives each pulls a maximum of 2.6 watts. Dividing by 5 v gives me .52 amps. I assume that means 2 of them could pull 1.04 amps, right? (I'm no EE ). That seems within the spec for the lps1. However, I'm guessing that the power draw would never get that close, because playing music only 1 disk is being read at a time. Am I on the right track? Thanks. David

P. S. Not being an EE, I find it counterintuitive that a lower value for the voltage means more amps.

You should be fine David. But you will need to try it and see. :)

Thanks, Alex -- As of this morning, I have an lps1 on order, apparently in the March batch. In the meantime, I have an lps1 for my MRendu, which I can re-route to the SSD's (once i get the cables) as a proof of concept. -- David

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_20170223_194230416_TOP (1).jpg

Hi Alex -- I wonder if you could take a look at these sata power connectors. The one on the top is the one from Moddiy you referred to me. Unfortunately, it is different from the connector below it, which is what fits my Samsung SSD. Any idea if Moddiy carries the correct one? Thanks. --- David

Hi Alex -- I wonder if you could take a look at these sata power connectors. The one on the top is the one from Moddiy you referred to me. Unfortunately, it is different from the connector below it, which is what fits my Samsung SSD. Any idea if Moddiy carries the correct one? Thanks. --- David

Hi David:

I am so sorry, I steered you wrong! I was so excited seeing a DC barrel cable on a SATA power cable that I was not looking closely enough at the Moddiy cable to see that it is a male SATA power connector, not a female as most all SATA drives require.

Sadly, nobody that I have been able to find offers a pre-made female SATA power to DC plug or jack. So the best you can do is to pick up one of these ubiquitous SATA to Molex cables and to cut the Molex end and attache a DC plug or jack.

Most folks put a DC panel jack on them and mount it to a hole in the back of the computer chassis. That way you can externally plug/unplug a DC cable to your LPS.

Wish I had the time to make and offer an array of cables for all these sorts of things.

Best,

--Alex C.

Hi David:

I am so sorry, I steered you wrong! I was so excited seeing a DC barrel cable on a SATA power cable that I was not looking closely enough at the Moddiy cable to see that it is a male SATA power connector, not a female as most all SATA drives require.

Sadly, nobody that I have been able to find offers a pre-made female SATA power to DC plug or jack. So the best you can do is to pick up one of these ubiquitous SATA to Molex cables and to cut the Molex end and attache a DC plug or jack.

Most folks put a DC panel jack on them and mount it to a hole in the back of the computer chassis. That way you can externally plug/unplug a DC cable to your LPS.

Wish I had the time to make and offer an array of cables for all these sorts of things.

Best,

--Alex C.

Alex -- No problem! I appreciate the effort, and I think I found the fix. Check out this male-to-male adapter I found at Newegg. -- Davidsata changer.jpg

I'm sure one of the Chinese manufacturers will do.

While yes, Chinese cable houses will make anything you want--and at fantastic low cost--you have to be prepared to order 500-1,000 pieces. That's what I do to for the 70cm, 16awg coax with 5.5mm x 2.1mm plugs that we ship with the LPS-1--1,000 pieces per shipment. But for a specialty SATA power cable, along with other various requested combos, I don't see it as a reasonable business proposition right now.