IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 Operation and Pre-purchase thread

Hi Superdad,

I wonder what is the maximum safe input voltage supply to the LPS-1? I have a high quality 19V 6A LPS sitting idle which I think I can adjust it down to 17V so I wonder if I can use it to power my two LPS-1.

Thanks.

12V really is the max. Anything more and you WILL permanently damage it!

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Just looking at the LPS-1 next to the microRendu it powers, and it occurred to me that it would be nice to find a small ventilated enclosure with two shelves where I could tidy up the two devices. Anyone knows where to find anything like that. Searching for "small equipment rack" brings up only computer or big AV component-sized racks.

I have the mR sitting on it's side directly on top of the LPS-1. Neither unit gets hot. Don't think it is an issue.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I had microRendu on top of the LPS-1, but have installed the short Curious USB cable, so moved it close to the DAC. It actually sits on the large XLR plugs that are plugged into the DAC. The LPS-1 is now kind of half way between.

Over the holidays I plan to make 2 power cables. 1) a short cable from the HD-Plex linear PSU to the LPS-1, which will then sit on top the power supply. 2) A new cable from the LPS-1 to accommodate the new spacing. And 3) look for a more formal way to suspend the microRendu.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

Alex (@Superdad) and UpTone are awesome. I had an LPS-1 from early on to power the microRendu on my headphone system. I liked that combo so much that I ordered another LPS-1 and microRendu to feed the new Schiit Yggrdasil DAC on my Hegel H360-based speaker system. But thanks to busy distraction I ordered *2* LPS-1s for the second system, rather than just one. Graciously, Alex immediately agreed to take back the extra LPS-1. Great product, superb service. There's an extra LPS-1 at UpTone looking for a good home. Go to it!

I'll ask here, since it came up in a non Uptone thread:

Has anyone actually used 2 LPS-1's in series, and if so, is there a commercially available cable or adapter to make that work?

All I've seen discussed are DIY cables, which I understand, but is not feasible for a lot of us.

Links welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Here is one for you https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0059MYIQG/?tag=cheap.groceryaf12-20

If you read the review there is one guy using it to power his 18v device with 2 x 9V power supplies. If it is recommended by @Superdad is another question all together...so you still need to get his Christmas blessing! ;)

Bummer! Just realize it was unavailable...but here comes the rescue https://www.amazon.com/OMNIHIL-Barrel-Splitter-2-1mm-Female/dp/B01E9JATN0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

You only need to find a DC Y-splitter with 1pcs DC2,1/5,5 male to 2pcs DC2,1/5,5 female.

🎛️  Audio System  

Here is one for you https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0059MYIQG/?tag=cheap.groceryaf12-20

If you read the review there is one guy using it to power his 18v device with 2 x 9V power supplies. If it is recommended by @Superdad is another question all together...so you still need to get his Christmas blessing! ;)

Bummer! Just realize it was unavailable...but here comes the rescue https://www.amazon.com/OMNIHIL-Barrel-Splitter-2-1mm-Female/dp/B01E9JATN0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

You only need to find a DC Y-splitter with 1pcs DC2,1/5,5 male to 2pcs DC2,1/5,5 female.

Thanks, but scratching my head where the 2 LPS-1's will go. I've used this for 1 source/2 sinks, not sure how to connect it as 2 sources (series)/1 sink.

You need a serial cable. This is most definitely a parallel cable.

Oh OK.

Tried some searches for "DC barrel serial cable" but didn't come up with anything. You got a link, Larry?

Conan:

Did you not made your own "DC-4". Have those links to the silver Japan plugs ? And the best cable you found ?

I did and realised too late that I had ordered 2pcs DC2,1/5,5 but needed 1pc DC2,1/5,5 and 1pc 2,5/5,5! ? So now I have a useless cable waiting for a Oyaide DC2,5/5,5. I used Furutech Alpha-18 hook-up wires in the end...that I now need to resolder in one end. Also run out of silver solder! ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

🎛️  Audio System  

You need a serial cable. This is most definitely a parallel cable.

The first link must be a serial cable since it was used with 2pcs 9v batteries to power a 18v device by a user. The other one I am not that sure about though since a reviewer actually only says that it is used for two bicycle lights when reading carefully. Do you mean that each leg need to have separate polarity (ie. one leg positive & one leg negative that connects to a positive/negative plug)?

🎛️  Audio System  

I'm not sure from reading previous posts if I can power both a mRendu and a TP-Link fmc (MC210CS) rated at 5.5W max power consumption with one LPS-1. If not, what is the best way of getting my gigabit nas to work with 10/100 Mbps fmcs? Thanks.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

I'm not sure from reading previous posts if I can power both a mRendu and a TP-Link fmc (MC210CS) rated at 5.5W max power consumption with one LPS-1. If not, what is the best way of getting my gigabit nas to work with 10/100 Mbps fmcs? Thanks.

Powering both a mc100cm or mc200cm and microRendu with LPS-1 I had a sound like static yet no complaint from the LPS-1. I now have a second LPS-1 for the FMC. If the NAS is connected to a switch the latter should recognize a 100mbps FMC.

If the NAS is connected to a switch the latter should recognize a 100mbps FMC.

Thanks. My switch is also Gigabit, so I guess I would need to buy a 10/100 Mbps switch if I am to try this.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

Use this one, and you can power both, and get 100 [emoji3]

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-43_MC110CS.html

But two LPS-1 is better.

Since the first UltraCap LPS-1 units will begin arriving to USA buyers this week (with all first-batch overseas orders departing today), it makes sense to start a thread where people can post their questions, comments, concerns, etc., about our groundbreaking little supply.

This can also be the place for prospective buyers to ask questions--to both UpTone and the LPS-1 user base--about use and applicability of the product for their music systems.

We have one favor to ask: If you wish to report on you use and listening experience with the LPS-1, please do so in the UltraCap LPS-1 LISTENING IMPRESSIONS thread.

Thanks very much,

--Alex C.

Alex, I saw your website but wouldn't know where to begin. I use a stock HP computer (i5, 8 mg ram, 1 TB HD) along with an Asus Xonar U7 sound card. Is a PC like this even worth upgrading with your gear or should I start a new build from scratch?

Conan:

Did you not made your own "DC-4". Have those links to the silver Japan plugs ? And the best cable you found ?

I just realised that I really suck with a soldering iron. I just destroid one of my Oyiade DC2.1 plugs when trying to put everything together. I'll need to get a proper soldering education if I want to continue on this path. F*** it! I cannot handle this kind of nerve wrecking experiance. I just ordered this ready made one instead...to save myself from a heart attack the day before Christmas! http://www.ebay.es/itm/162274826156

?

🎛️  Audio System  

Last month I was looking at that cable too but... nowhere I could find how long it is :rolleyes:

So I ordered two Oyaide plugs (got 'em last week from Japan) and was going to ask you an european source for that Furutech wire

Sorry to hear about your soldering troubles :(

but... thanks: put my Oyade plugs back in the drawer now =:-p

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

I just realised that I really suck with a soldering iron. I just destroid one of my Oyiade DC2.1 plugs when trying to put everything together. I'll need to get a proper soldering education if I want to continue on this path. F*** it! I cannot handle this kind of nerve wrecking experiance. I just ordered this ready made one instead...to save myself from a heart attack the day before Christmas! http://www.ebay.es/itm/162274826156

?

BTW. If you have good nerves here is some links for the Oyiade plugs I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131933379714

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131933381308

But mind you...you have been officially warned! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

Last month I was looking at that cable too but... nowhere I could find how long it is :rolleyes:

So I ordered two Oyaide plugs (got 'em last week from Japan) and was going to ask you an european source for that Furutech wire

Sorry to hear about your soldering troubles :(

but... thanks: put my Oyade plugs back in the drawer now =:-p

Well, for now I do not care how long it is. I just want to save my life! ;) Anyway, Oyiade plugs and Acoustic Revive wires...How bad can it be..even if it is a couple of cm longer? ?

The problem with the Furutech Alpha-18 hook up wire is the gauge. It is simply very limited space between the positive and negative wires inside the plugs. For a professional this might be a walk in the park...but for me it is like landing on the moon. Not for my personality at all! ?

Merry Christmas! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

Well, for now I do not care how long it is. I just want to save my life! ;) Anyway, Oyiade plugs and Acoustic Revive wires...How bad can it be..even if it is a couple of cm longer?

The problem with the Furutech Alpha-18 hook up wire is the gauge. It is simply very limited space between the positive and negative wires inside the plugs. For a professional this might be a walk in the park...but for me it is like landing on the moon. Not for my personality at all!

You mean you had a hard time getting your solder joints on the Oyaide plugs to look like this?

UpTone Oyaide Belden.jpg

And those are four 18awg wires! Each paired to a whopping 15awg. And I one end, I tie the shield, which is another 18awg conductor.

Don't feel too bad, it took me a long time to get really good at making them (it's all in the prep). Here is a pile I did one month--before Finally decided I'd had enough and convinced an aerospace cable assembly firm to assemble them for us. They charge a lot, but I gained back 20+ hours of my life. They are also why I don't offer custom lengths or hold any stock of the Oyaide plugs any longer (though I am am the largest importer of the Oyaide DC-2.xG in the USA as far as I know).

P1080732.JPG

it was easy back then, Alex: new Oyaide plugs are smaller :P

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones