IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 Operation and Pre-purchase thread

Anyone know if the LPS-1 can power a Microrendu + Resonessence Concero HD DAC (USB powered)?

Should be totally fine.

USB 2.0 devices (and that includes bus-powered DACs) are, by the USB spec not permitted to draw more than 500mA (0.5 amps) from the bus. The microRendu itself is a real power miser, so even when it is having a bus-powered DAC/headphone drawing from it, the total current demand is still less than the UltraCap LPS-1's 1-amp rating.

See this post with pics of my running and measuring current draw of both the microRendu alone and the microRendu powering an iFi micro iDSD bus -powered DAC/headphone amp.

Hi Alex,

I sent you a message regarding your custom cable on your website contact page and have not heard back. Did you get it?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob: Sorry, am still (always) playing catch up on e-mail. Did see your message, but guess I skipped over it for a bit as your next LPS-1 is in the December 9th-promised batch. Am replying now.

--Alex C.

Can you please list DACs that are compatible with LPS-1?

Really? You really expect Alex to have that data available to supply to you? How should he know the current requirements of all those DACs he doesn't sell?

Find out the current draw of the DAC you are interested in and compare it to the specs for the LPS-1: 3.3V, 5V, or 7 volts; single output, 1-amp continuous.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Sure, any USB DAC supported by the microRendu. How much do you want to spend? Single ended or balanced outputs, volume control, PCM or DSD or both .... etc?

Around 1000$

single ended, no need for dsd and no volume control

to clarify I want to use one lps-1 with DAC and second one with microRendu

Around 1000$

single ended, no need for dsd and no volume control

to clarify I want to use one lps-1 with DAC and second one with microRendu

Well you could try an IFI microIDSD, it's $500 list, but is on sale on musicdirect every few weeks.

It may be that one lps-1 can power both a microRendu and a microIDSD. If not, then you need a split usb cable like an LHLabs 2g to plug into the second lps-1.

My guess is that this little system will sound great.

I am sure that there are many other options.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

It may be that one lps-1 can power both a microRendu and a microIDSD. If not, then you need a split usb cable like an LHLabs 2g to plug into the second lps-1.

My guess is that this little system will sound great.

It can, and it indeed sounds great. See this post of the LPS-1 happily powering the microRendu powering the iFi iDSD DAC/headphone amp.

Have you purchased 2 LPS-1 ?

Not yet, I have only one

I would like to upgrade my current DAC and as LPS-1 did great job with microrendu so I am looking for possibility to buy second one for DAC if I will find one that is equal partner for microRendu

Not yet, I have only one

I would like to upgrade my current DAC and as LPS-1 did great job with microrendu so I am looking for possibility to buy second one for DAC if I will find one that is equal partner for microRendu

It's a rare way to select DAC by deciding it's power requirements :)

But I think we all agree upon that any USB powered DAC or one with less than 7V, 1,2 A requirements, will perform at its best by either Vbus from MicroRendu or direct from the LPS-1. (..by using a Y split).

You should probably start with following Superdads advice and purchase the DAC first, and see if not the LPS-1 you already have is sufficient to power it.

I'm not an expert on DAC's, but if you add the cost of the LPS-1 to your budget, you may consider the Holo Audio Spring R2R (Level 1) DAC. It has great reviews.

I did not understand Imitche when suggesting Y split with 2 LPS-1, unless he was trying to add voltage for a second device, which also seems like a very strange configuration. Maybe he can explain why he like to link two LPS-1 together with a Y- split, unless it's for increasing voltage.

It's a rare way to select DAC by deciding it's power requirements :)

But I think we all agree upon that any USB powered DAC or one with less than 7V, 1,2 A requirements, will perform at its best by either Vbus from MicroRendu or direct from the LPS-1. (..by using a Y split).

You should probably start with following Superdads advice and purchase the DAC first, and see if not the LPS-1 you already have is sufficient to power it.

I'm not an expert on DAC's, but if you add the cost of the LPS-1 to your budget, you may consider the Holo Audio Spring R2R (Level 1) DAC. It has great reviews.

I did not understand Imitche when suggesting Y split with 2 LPS-1, unless he was trying to add voltage for a second device, which also seems like a very strange configuration. Maybe he can explain why he like to link two LPS-1 together with a Y- split, unless it's for increasing voltage.

Sorry, but you misunderstood my intent. The idea is to use two lps1 with two devices, one the microRendu the other the microIDSD dac.

We now know that this isn't necessary and the lps-1 will power both.

In the case it did not, using a split cable between the microRendu and the microIDSD allow the insertion of a second power source for the DAC.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Hi Alex

I've reading in the Uptone sponsored forum about issues with using the ifi 9 Volt wall wort to power the LPS-1 (which I have on order). Essentially if I remember correctly you tested one which says is provides 1.5 Amp and one which provides 2.0 Amps and found the one which indicated 1.5 amps provided a max of 1.6 amps.

So I emailed ifi support and they responded saying that all of their 9 Volt wall worts are the same and initially they went with a 1.5 Amp value and after certification they realized a 2.0 Amp certification was okay.

I believe you, but am not sure what to do based on ifi's response. I did order a Meanwell so I'm covered regardless. I'm not sure of how I can verify the maximum load "my" ifi can handle. Is there a simple way to do this without damaging anything (i.e. trying and seeing what happens) or a relatively simple testing procedure.

I'm not an Electrical Engineer (actually a Chemical Engineer), so I haven't a clue how to do this myself, but have a friend who has been working at repairing and maintaining high end audio equipment for 30 years, so I should be able to ask him to have a look.

Thanks in advance.

Confused in Calgary

In the case it did not, using a split cable between the microRendu and the microIDSD allow the insertion of a second power source for the DAC.

So a very creative way of doing a parallel connection: (which can't be done with 2 LPS-1)

Vbus from the MicroRendu and from the second LPS-1 you need something that convert the 2,1mm 5V out to an USB interface and then use the $200 LHLabs-2g.

Probably doable, but it seems very complicated. And in my opinion a total waste of more than $600 :(

I would also add. A DAC without galvanic isolation or need for 5V vbus flash is preferable. Galvanic isolation outside the DAC usb data input would be preferable.

Along with DC power input of 7V, 1amp or less that can be tapped directly.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Hi Alex

I've reading in the Uptone sponsored forum about issues with using the ifi 9 Volt wall wort to power the LPS-1 (which I have on order). Essentially if I remember correctly you tested one which says is provides 1.5 Amp and one which provides 2.0 Amps and found the one which indicated 1.5 amps provided a max of 1.6 amps.

So I emailed ifi support and they responded saying that all of their 9 Volt wall worts are the same and initially they went with a 1.5 Amp value and after certification they realized a 2.0 Amp certification was okay.

I believe you, but am not sure what to do based on ifi's response. I did order a Meanwell so I'm covered regardless. I'm not sure of how I can verify the maximum load "my" ifi can handle. Is there a simple way to do this without damaging anything (i.e. trying and seeing what happens) or a relatively simple testing procedure.

Hi Barry:

Please remember that these SMPS units (including the Mean Well and iFi) are cheap items. Knowing how many parts are in them and their wholesale cost--upon which both the manufacturer and distributor make a profit margin--it is amazing that they work at all. So sample to-sample variation is to be expected.

All I know is that the one iFi iPower 9V unit I have which is marked as 1.5A does indeed crap out at 1.6A--which is not enough to allow the UltraCap LPS-1 to operate in its upper-current range (from 0.5A to 1.1A).

And John Swenson has an iFi iPower 9V marked at 2.0A and it is fine.

Honestly though, as I have said before, people ought to find some other use for their iPower units than energizing the LPS-1. The output of the feed supply has zero influence on the output of the LPS-1, and the iFi is no more or less harmful on the wall side than any other SMPS. (Again, the fact that the LPS-1 blocks the leakage current from SMPS units makes them quite benign anyway.)

Hope that helps a bit.

--Alex C.