IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 Operation and Pre-purchase thread

Hi,

Enjoying my LPS-1 so far. I have a rather trivial request, - either of Alex or the community....

Would either UPTone make, or is there a cable to buy, that could be shorter than the provided length cable with the 2 X 2.1mm connectors?

I am betting that there are others beside myself that have the microRendu (or whatever device) very close to the LPS-1, and don't need a long cable.

Thanks

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/ultracap%99-linear-power-supply-1-listening-impressions-thread-30172/index5.html#post594373

• 2 weeks later...
Will a single LPS-1 power 2 of these FMC devices? Do you happen to know?

Thanks in advance Greg :)

Why do you want to use LPS-1 on both sides ? I thought the idea was to only do the output or clean side. What is the benefit of input side as well ?

Or maybe you just like to get rid of another smps sending noice back to AC ?

Max power consumption is 5,5W

Asuming you like to use 7 VDC, you almost use 0,8 of 1,2A available, so most likely you can't power both.

But it you can try, as you will get the red light if overload.

http://static.tp-link.com/resources/document/MC200CM_V2_Datasheet.pdf

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-4792_MC200CM.html#specifications

You may be able to do the MicroRendu in addition if it doesn't power your DAC.

You may find less power hungry FMC's if you look for 10/100 versions. You don't need a 1 GB

Not yet, I have only one

I would like to upgrade my current DAC and as LPS-1 did great job with microrendu so I am looking for possibility to buy second one for DAC if I will find one that is equal partner for microRendu

It's a rare way to select DAC by deciding it's power requirements :)

But I think we all agree upon that any USB powered DAC or one with less than 7V, 1,2 A requirements, will perform at its best by either Vbus from MicroRendu or direct from the LPS-1. (..by using a Y split).

You should probably start with following Superdads advice and purchase the DAC first, and see if not the LPS-1 you already have is sufficient to power it.

I'm not an expert on DAC's, but if you add the cost of the LPS-1 to your budget, you may consider the Holo Audio Spring R2R (Level 1) DAC. It has great reviews.

I did not understand Imitche when suggesting Y split with 2 LPS-1, unless he was trying to add voltage for a second device, which also seems like a very strange configuration. Maybe he can explain why he like to link two LPS-1 together with a Y- split, unless it's for increasing voltage.

In the case it did not, using a split cable between the microRendu and the microIDSD allow the insertion of a second power source for the DAC.

So a very creative way of doing a parallel connection: (which can't be done with 2 LPS-1)

Vbus from the MicroRendu and from the second LPS-1 you need something that convert the 2,1mm 5V out to an USB interface and then use the $200 LHLabs-2g.

Probably doable, but it seems very complicated. And in my opinion a total waste of more than $600 :(

Yes, lps-1 powering the dac

yes, USB as DAC will be used with microRendu

There exist a Excel overview over almost all DAC's that I can't remember who is maintain.

I think the purpose was to list which one support dsd. You may try to search or maybe someone can link to this spreadsheet.

You can then search up every DAC listed, and check it's power requirements. Maybe even add your findings to that list.

Edit:

Maybe this one:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?ukey=0AgVhKcl_3lHfdFVyenBBNjNpQ2lieG81WGpqQTNfVUE#gid=0

Also a searc lead me here:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=136773

What about this dac Musical Fidelity | MX-DAC DAC

can it be used with lps-1?

5v/2a Dc

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/uploads/catalogerfiles/mx-dac/4_MX-DAC_manual_issue_1.pdf

Page 6 state less than 1 watt at max. Standby less than 0,25 W.

So 5V x 2A = 10W, and it uses less than 10% of what's available.

I expect you can make the conclusion yourself:)

(If my math is done right).

Not sure which thread this belongs in but I'll start here. Also, sorry if covered already. I'm using Schiit Yggy fed by Microrendu powered by new lps-1. The Microrendu is connected to Ethernet cable to TPLink optical isolators. Content comes from tidal or NAS files using roon core on sonicorbitor controlled by iPad. Michael Lavorgna in Audiostream column powers the TPLink closest to Microrendu with an IFi microUSB3. Can someone tell me if this provides any additional benefit over that which I am already getting from the Uptone LPS-1?

Why not let the LPS-1 also power your FMC ? (Assuming you use the 10/100 version) If you draw to much power, the LPS-1 will have a red light.

Yes, most of us think clean DC power to the FMC benefits the SQ. Also you may remove any of these loops JS has explained many times.

So just use a Y split and listen for your self and find out what's happening.

My LPS-1 should be in the 'no later than November 18th' batch, only one short week away. I was just curious if things are running more or less to schedule? (From my time in industry I know how those pesky 'emergent unforeseen issues' can sneak up and bite you!)

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/ultracap%99-linear-power-supply-1-listening-impressions-thread-30172/index8.html#post601856

Hi,

My LPS-1 is on its way. I am currently using a MCRU LPS 7V DC to power my microRendu. When my LPS-1 arrives, can I use the MCRU unit to power it or will it be insufficient? It seems that I need 7.5V/2.5A, so just short. Will it do any harm if I try it anyway?

I have ordered the compatible energising supply but, given that the MCRU is already in situ, I would like to use it if I'm able.

This one ?

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/home/1379-regulated-linear-power-supply-for-uptone-audio-ultracap-lps-1.html

That is the truth with some modification. No USB power is better than cleanest possible USB power. It all depends on your DAC:

...but you are even better off using a LPS-1 powering the mR, using a Vbus2 for 5v block on your USB cable and let another LPS-1 inject clean power into the input of your DAC.

In that case a Y-split should be sufficient. Save you $400 for a second LPS-1.

But is this something you have tested? Hard to imagine the MicroRendu 5 V to be different from the LPS-1, if powered from a LPS-1

I just forgot, the MicroRendu is 7 V, so feeding a USB device requesting 5 V, may not be a good idea, unless you know that the regulators inside can accept 7 V.

By the way, I found the LPS-1 being quite powerful. I'm feeding 4 items with it :)

Edit:

Did not see others had replied before me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure from reading previous posts if I can power both a mRendu and a TP-Link fmc (MC210CS) rated at 5.5W max power consumption with one LPS-1. If not, what is the best way of getting my gigabit nas to work with 10/100 Mbps fmcs? Thanks.

Use this one, and you can power both, and get 100 [emoji3]

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-43_MC110CS.html

But two LPS-1 is better.

Actually, I'm now wondering whether I would get better overall sound quality if I left the LPS-1 powering only the mRendu and getting an iFi iPower for the MC210CS. Would this be better than sharing one LPS-1 between the mRendu a MC110CS? Getting an iPower (12v) for the switch did nice things to the sound. I don't really want to go to jthe expense of another LPS-1 if I can help it - hoping for a nice uplift in sound quality for about £100 or less.

That may be a a very good option, as I found out an Y-split was not ideal. And yes a second LPS-1 is the ultimate solution. (I will soon test if an EMO EN-70HD can be sufficient instead of FMC's)

What I want to ask Superdad or John Swenson about, is the possibility to make a LPS-1 (MK2?), with two isolated outputs. (Same voltage I suppose). Is that doable or even an option to be considered?

Would they need a fixed max output current?

For those not using a Vbus from the MicroRendu, very little power is needed. So there is a lot of power available for a FMC, an USB DAC or a converter.

Or maybe is it more convenient to develop a Y spitter that fulfill the need of isolation between the two (or even 3) sources powered from the LPS-1.

And will such a possible solution or option, save enough money?

I'm thinking well below 50% of a LPS-1.

• 1 month later...