IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 Operation and Pre-purchase thread

pity the LPS-1 doesn't do 12v :'-(

I'm sure it would do wonders with this 2Qute, I got a couple of hours ago, which only needs 0.5A

But the Hugo doesn't. 7V will work according to Chord. It's just the Hugo doesn't have galvanic isolation so an Intona is needed which may in this case be better, especially if you get one of the special Hugo's that don't require the 5V USB for the HD input to activate.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Hugo is already battery powered, no point charging a battery with a great LPS ;)

Bypass it. I suspect that this is it's downfall in better SQ, the batteries, whereas the TT uses something similar to LPS-1 but even better would be the LPS-1.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

pity the LPS-1 doesn't do 12v :'-(

I'm sure it would do wonders with this 2Qute, I got a couple of hours ago, which only needs 0.5A

Wonder if the 2Qute 12V input could be bypassed? The 2Qute shouldn't need the much voltage if the Hugo only needs 7-8V.

• 4 weeks later...

I would also add. A DAC without galvanic isolation or need for 5V vbus flash is preferable. Galvanic isolation outside the DAC usb data input would be preferable.

Along with DC power input of 7V, 1amp or less that can be tapped directly.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is my recommendations for microRendu, LPS-1 and DACs.

If your DAC is VBUS powered only (ie no external power jack), plug it into the microRendu USB jack and power the microRendu from the LPS-1. Use a good short USB cable or a good solid adapter. There is no reason for cutting grounds etc in this configuration, cutting the ground blocks leakage currents, with the LPS-1 you don't have any so it is unnecessary. I have designed a really nice solid adapter that will work great for this, but Alex hasn't started making them yet, too busy with the LPS-1.

If the DAC has an external power port, and will run at 7V and takes 1/2A or less, you CAN use a Y cable from an LPS-1 to drive both the microRendu and the DAC. This is the way I have my setup and it works VERY well.

It is certainly possible to use a separate LPS-1 for both the microRendu AND the DAC, It MAY sound better than a single driving both, but I cannot guarantee that, it is going to be very system dependent. It should not sound worse, but it may not be any better, or it may be a big improvement, hard to tell.

Using a USB power injector to feed power into a VBUS only powered DAC, should not be necessary if you have a good short USB cable.

Whatever you do, do not use a USB power injector with something other than an LPS-1 if you are using an LPS-1 to power the microRendu. This will nullify some of the advantages of using the LPS-1 with the microRendu. Put another way, IF you have a DAC that can be powered from an LPS-1, power it from either its own LPS-1, or the same one that is powering the microRendu IF the DAC current is low enough to allow that.

If your DAC has it's own built in AC supply obviously you cannot power it from an LPS-1, in this case still power the microRendu from the LPS-1, it will still be a large improvement, but not quite as much as you would get if the DAC was powered off an LPS-1 as well.

John S.

I take it the same would apply to Regen/DAC?

Things get a little trickier with a REGEN. A microRendu powered by an LPS-1 has no leakage current to pass down the USB cable, there is none from the PS and the Ethernet connection blocks the leakage current from the digital side of things.

A REGEN does NOT completely block the leakage current from the computer, so with an LPS-1 powering a REGEN you still can have a leakage loop from the computer PS. You block a leakage loop going through the power supply of the REGEN, but the loop from the computer through the USB cable is still there.

Powering the REGEN with an LPS-1 is still going to sound better than powering the REGEN from the MeanWell, but exactly how to arrange things may be different once you include the loop through the computer.

John S.

Thanks John,

I have two LPS-1's on the way. Plan on running it as such. The Intona No 5Vbus should solve any problem from the PC.

CAPS (HDPlex 100 LPS) w/ PPA V2 USB card (LPS-1 5V) => USB adapter => Intona => Supra No 5Vbus => LPS-1(a) 7V Regen=> USB adapter (No 5Vbus)=> LPS-1(b) 7V Chord Hugo (bypass the lipo batteries DIY) =>RCA Nordost White Lightning=> Amps.

As you can see I am going to power both the Regen and Hugo with one LPS-1, 7V. Will be ample power. Already verified the 7V (1.8 watts)= .26A will work with Hugo from Chord. The only other concern I now have is the RCA interconnects from Hugo to Amps and any possible leakage/ground loop. Plan on adding a Topaz 1KVA 120V.

Just briefly, as it goes a little off topic, Chord DAVE and Mojo don't work with Sbooster Isolator as both dacs use VBUS to detect that there is a USB device connected. No problem as I'm still adjusting to the substantial hike in SQ I'm getting from the uRendu/Sonore USB hard adapter/LPS-1 combination.

The DAVE has built in galvanic isolation so it needs the 5Vbus, not a big concern but preferable if it didn't need it and could be eliminated. The Mojo doesn't have galvanic isolation but needs to be flashed with the 5Vbus similar to the newer Hugos. A power saving feature by Chord (to save on batteries for mobility) but a detriment to SQ we are finding. A clean 5Vbus from an LPS-1 helps. Thankfully my older Hugo doesn't require this 5Vbus flash for the HD USB input.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks John,

I have two LPS-1's on the way. Plan on running it as such. The Intona No 5Vbus should solve any problem from the PC.

CAPS (HDPlex 100 LPS) w/ PPA V2 USB card (LPS-1 5V) => USB adapter => Intona => Supra No 5Vbus => LPS-1(a) 7V Regen=> USB adapter (No 5Vbus)=> LPS-1(b) 7V Chord Hugo (bypass the lipo batteries DIY) =>RCA Nordost White Lightning=> Amps.

As you can see I am going to power both the Regen and Hugo with one LPS-1, 7V. Will be ample power. Already verified the 7V (1.8 watts)= .26A will work with Hugo from Chord. The only other concern I now have is the RCA interconnects from Hugo to Amps and any possible leakage/ground loop. Plan on adding a Topaz 1KVA 120V.

Arrgggghh, the LPS-1 does not have enough output to power my Chord Hugo. Was a pain to pull out the LIPO batteries and make the attempt. All I could get is the LPS-1 to give me warning that the device was asking for more power. Installed my batteries back (what a pain), no problems. I will have to try again to get better information from Chord.