IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 Operation and Pre-purchase thread

Hard to say. While the back panel rating on the DAC says 2 amps, it probably actually draws much less. The question is, does it draw less than the LPS-1's 1.1A max? Impossible to know without trying or measuring one.

Ok, thank you for reply

what about UpTone Audio DAC as a new product :-) what do you say?

Yes, lps-1 powering the dac

yes, USB as DAC will be used with microRendu

There exist a Excel overview over almost all DAC's that I can't remember who is maintain.

I think the purpose was to list which one support dsd. You may try to search or maybe someone can link to this spreadsheet.

You can then search up every DAC listed, and check it's power requirements. Maybe even add your findings to that list.

Edit:

Maybe this one:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?ukey=0AgVhKcl_3lHfdFVyenBBNjNpQ2lieG81WGpqQTNfVUE#gid=0

Also a searc lead me here:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=136773

What about this dac Musical Fidelity | MX-DAC DAC

can it be used with lps-1?

5v/2a Dc

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/uploads/catalogerfiles/mx-dac/4_MX-DAC_manual_issue_1.pdf

Page 6 state less than 1 watt at max. Standby less than 0,25 W.

So 5V x 2A = 10W, and it uses less than 10% of what's available.

I expect you can make the conclusion yourself:)

(If my math is done right).

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/uploads/catalogerfiles/mx-dac/4_MX-DAC_manual_issue_1.pdf

Page 6 state less than 1 watt at max. Standby less than 0,25 W.

So 5V x 2A = 10W, and it uses less than 10% of what's available.

I expect you can make the conclusion yourself:)

(If my math is done right).

While I do suspect that the LPS-1 may be fine for the Musical Fidelity MX-DAC, that power consumption spec is for AC consumption by whatever PS is included with the DAC. Does not directly correlate to DC current draw.

Not sure which thread this belongs in but I'll start here. Also, sorry if covered already. I'm using Schiit Yggy fed by Microrendu powered by new lps-1. The Microrendu is connected to Ethernet cable to TPLink optical isolators. Content comes from tidal or NAS files using roon core on sonicorbitor controlled by iPad. Michael Lavorgna in Audiostream column powers the TPLink closest to Microrendu with an IFi microUSB3. Can someone tell me if this provides any additional benefit over that which I am already getting from the Uptone LPS-1?

Not sure which thread this belongs in but I'll start here. Also, sorry if covered already. I'm using Schiit Yggy fed by Microrendu powered by new lps-1. The Microrendu is connected to Ethernet cable to TPLink optical isolators. Content comes from tidal or NAS files using roon core on sonicorbitor controlled by iPad. Michael Lavorgna in Audiostream column powers the TPLink closest to Microrendu with an IFi microUSB3. Can someone tell me if this provides any additional benefit over that which I am already getting from the Uptone LPS-1?

Why not let the LPS-1 also power your FMC ? (Assuming you use the 10/100 version) If you draw to much power, the LPS-1 will have a red light.

Yes, most of us think clean DC power to the FMC benefits the SQ. Also you may remove any of these loops JS has explained many times.

So just use a Y split and listen for your self and find out what's happening.

My LPS-1 should be in the 'no later than November 18th' batch, only one short week away. I was just curious if things are running more or less to schedule? (From my time in industry I know how those pesky 'emergent unforeseen issues' can sneak up and bite you!)

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

My LPS-1 should be in the 'no later than November 18th' batch, only one short week away. I was just curious if things are running more or less to schedule? (From my time in industry I know how those pesky 'emergent unforeseen issues' can sneak up and bite you!)

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/ultracap%99-linear-power-supply-1-listening-impressions-thread-30172/index8.html#post601856

Hi,

My LPS-1 is on its way. I am currently using a MCRU LPS 7V DC to power my microRendu. When my LPS-1 arrives, can I use the MCRU unit to power it or will it be insufficient? It seems that I need 7.5V/2.5A, so just short. Will it do any harm if I try it anyway?

I have ordered the compatible energising supply but, given that the MCRU is already in situ, I would like to use it if I'm able.

Hi,

My LPS-1 is on its way. I am currently using a MCRU LPS 7V DC to power my microRendu. When my LPS-1 arrives, can I use the MCRU unit to power it or will it be insufficient? It seems that I need 7.5V/2.5A, so just short. Will it do any harm if I try it anyway?

I have ordered the compatible energising supply but, given that the MCRU is already in situ, I would like to use it if I'm able.

This one ?

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/home/1379-regulated-linear-power-supply-for-uptone-audio-ultracap-lps-1.html

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Hi,

A 7V supply WILL work as the feeder for an LPS-1 as long as it has a very low output impedance. At 7V the LPS-1 will be taking close to 3A (somewhere around 2.9A), if at 2.9A the feeder drops very much from 7V it is not going to work. Even though 7V will work it has to be VERY well regulated and a short low resistance cable between the feeder and the LPS-1.

A kind of runaway feedback can happen. As the feeder voltage gets lower the LPS-1 input current goes up, which can cause the voltage to get lower, which causes the current to get higher ... This is more of a problem at lower voltages because the current is higher to begin with. As long as the feeder can handle the high currents with very little droop this will not happen.

You can find a hint about how well a given 7V supply will do by looking at it's current rating. If it says anything less than 3A, completely forget it. If it is right at 3A it should theoretically work, but most 3A supplies will have too much droop. If it is significantly over 3A, say 5A, it has a decent probability of working (it may still have too much droop).

All the above is why the official spec only goes down to 7.5V, lower voltages MAY work, but it takes an exceptional supply to do so.

John S.

Hi everyone,

Anyone tried UltraCap LPS-1 with =

- SOTM PCIe USB card (tX-USBexp) ?

or

- SOTM new player (sMS-200) ?

Have a nice day.

CD40s (3DLab) - EDEL NMR (Engineered) -or- DAPHILE (Q1900itx (Asrock) + LPS 100W (HDPLEX) + tX-USBexp (SOtM) - HYDRA-Z (Audiobyte) + LPS-1 (UpTone) - BLACK DRAGON (Audiobyte) - 2 x Ncore NC400 (Hypex) - M4 (P. E. Léon) - Cables: (Mapleshade, Audioprana, Nordost, Referenz1017, Pangea, Zavfino, Elecaudio, Tomanek) + FMC (TPlink) & NAS (OMV)

Hi everyone,

Anyone tried UltraCap LPS-1 with =

- SOTM PCIe USB card (tX-USBexp) ?

or

- SOTM new player (sMS-200) ?

Yes, there are LPS-1 owners who have powered their sMS-200 with it with excellent results. Separarately, we also know of people powering their PCIe USB cards with the LPS-1.

Maybe do some searches in the Listening Impressions thread (I'm typing on my phone right now or I'd find some to link to).

Hi Superdad,

Thanks a much, excellent !

I will do some searches.

CD40s (3DLab) - EDEL NMR (Engineered) -or- DAPHILE (Q1900itx (Asrock) + LPS 100W (HDPLEX) + tX-USBexp (SOtM) - HYDRA-Z (Audiobyte) + LPS-1 (UpTone) - BLACK DRAGON (Audiobyte) - 2 x Ncore NC400 (Hypex) - M4 (P. E. Léon) - Cables: (Mapleshade, Audioprana, Nordost, Referenz1017, Pangea, Zavfino, Elecaudio, Tomanek) + FMC (TPlink) & NAS (OMV)

looking for a good, short, DC cable to use between my LPS-1 and Regen found this one

not totally sure, though, "PowerPak Pro 2.1mm C+" jack only means "5.5x2.1 Center positive" or if it's a different kind of jack that will not work :-/

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones