IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 LISTENING IMPRESSIONS thread

On 2/4/2018 at 6:12 PM, Superdad said:

It is not so important.  That was my point.  It is measurable but not very audible (though some claim it is).

You seem a bit upset about it Micheal.  And I know you have had some unusual difficulty with the second-hand ISO REGEN in your system.

Unhappy customers are not at all what UpTone is about, so I would like to extend our 30-day money-back offer to you on the LPS-1, even though you have had the unit since last October.  Please let us know if you wish for that.

Thanks,

ALEX

Thanks for the offer. I'm not upset with the LPS-1 at all (in fact am considering ordering another to try with my ISO REGEN), I just had the impression that certain mods needed to be done. Good to know they are not very important. :)

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, welldone said:

Now i'm looking for a better DC power cords for Lps1. I heard that better power cords can also impact on the SQ. Has anyone tried with a better power cords? 

Uptone makes them.

UptonedMacMini(onJS2)>TelluriumSiverDiamondUSB>IsREgen(onLPS1onJS2)>Curious(short)>BerkeleyAlphaUSB>TomboTronBNC>MetrumPavaneDAC>SilvermithPalladium>MargulesSF(20SE)Pre>TelluriumSilverDiamond>MarguesU280c(25SE)Amp>AZAbsoluteSpeakercables>MargulesOrpheus+MarguleSub.CD:Cambridge851C>StealthVaridigSextet>MetrumPavane.

Powerconditioning/cables:AudienceAR6TSSD;KubalaSosnaElationon>AR6;OndaRaptureonPre-andAmp;KaplancablesonDAC/Transport;Combak350>JS-2;AZAbsolute>Alpha USB.

5ab04fc775d4d_2018-02-1511_30_04.thumb.jpg.bdba2e1c8a8ba2d514247b298a41222d.jpg

• 1 month later...

New to Uptone so not sure where to post this question.

If one has the chance to purchase a used LPS-1 my reading of the thread is that there were problems with the original SMPS which came in the box and people were subsequently modifying the ones they had.  I then read something about being able to purchase a $15 replacement SMPS from Uptone (or other places - Amazon?) which is better and eliminates most of the leakage problems.  Can someone clarify this for me please.

While I realize the LPS has been replaced with a newer version - that does not necessarily make the original "bad".  I would be using it with a MicroRendu.

Thanks

1 minute ago, buzzlulu said:

New to Uptone so not sure where to post this question.

If one has the chance to purchase a used LPS-1 my reading of the thread is that there were problems with the original SMPS which came in the box and people were subsequently modifying the ones they had.  I then read something about being able to purchase a $15 replacement SMPS from Uptone (or other places - Amazon?) which is better and eliminates most of the leakage problems.  Can someone clarify this for me please.

While I realize the LPS has been replaced with a newer version - that does not necessarily make the original "bad".  I would be using it with a MicroRendu.

Thanks

With the Meanwell SMPS provided with the LPS-1 attachment of a wire from the DC negative output to ground will result in much lower noise from the SMPS.  With the SMPS provided with the LPS-1.2, or available seperately, the negative output is grounded internally and thus no need for the external wire.

6 minutes ago, buzzlulu said:

Thank you.  I had a look at the Uptone website however I did not see a link for this new SMPS.  Is it listed there?  Also available elsewhere?

Uptone has said the new SMPS (which comes with the LPS-1.2) will be separately orderable, but not until AFTER UltraCap LPS-1.2 production is rolling and all orders have been filled.  I'm sure @Superdad will post an update re availability fairly soon.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

12 minutes ago, buzzlulu said:

Perfect - thanks

So in conclusion if I end up purchasing a secund hand LPS1 to use with a MicroRendu then this SMPS should be purchased as a replacement for the originally supplied one

Yes.  I think you will be delighted with the LPS-1 even with the original Mean Well SMPS, but you may as well see whether the new supply results in even better sound quality in your system.

• 4 months later...
On 12/30/2016 at 4:56 PM, str-1 said:

Has anyone had experience using this power lead with the LPS-1: MCRU Pure Silver Audio Grade DC Power Cable - MCRU

Yes, works well between LPS 1 & UltraRendu, better than stock cable.

The UltraRendu with UltraCap 1, running the Sonore UPnP Bridge into my Naim NDS from a Roon Core running ROCK on an Intel NUC5i3, is giving the best sound I have heard from this system. Delighted.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Any advice on the interest of using a LPS 1 to power an Iso regen (upstream section 5V) in this configuration:

CAPS2 (CA pocket servor) with a SotM USB card, each powered separately by 2 HDplex linear power supply (12V/10A and 12V/2A), with direct DC cable between PSU and 4 pin molex of the USB audio card

USB curious cable  connected to one of the 2 USB ports of the sotm usb audio card (with +5V supply switched off on the usb card), the other port unused (or entreq eartha cable to entreq ground box as an option)

an LPS1 to provide the 5V to the upstream part of Isoregen using a Y adapter/cable for type B USB input of isoregen (the assumption being that LPS1 supercaps are better than linear PS)

then isoregen with adaptor to a sonicweld USB/SPDIF divertor to a metrum acoustic NOS DAC

downstream section of Isoregen already powered by LPS1 7V.

thanks for your ideas

9 hours ago, Ricardo007 said:

Hello,

Any advice on the interest of using a LPS 1 to power an Iso regen (upstream section 5V) in this configuration:

That all sounds fine though it seems a bit excessive.  The ISO REGEN uses about 20mA of 5BVUS power only to power the upstream side the Silannna isolator chip at its input.  And while very clean power on that side of the "moat" is really no necessary, we still dedicate an ultra-ultra-low-noise LT3042 regulator to the task of turning that 5VBUS into 3.3V for the "dirty" side of the isolator--rather than use Silanna's internal reg. 

So really I would be very surprised if someone reported hearing a difference by doing 5VBUS injection to the input of an ISO REGEN.

You might get a bit better result using that spare UltraCap LPS-1 with USB VBUS injector cable to give 5V to your Sonicweld converter.  The ISO REGEN, if not asked to provide a lot of 5VBUS power to the DAC/DDC, will run cooler.

The regulator in the ISO REGEN that is dedicated to providing 5VBUS output--to DACs/DDCs that need such--is a 1-amp TI TPS7A4700.  That's the same ultra-low-noise regulator we use [in cascade] in the original LPS-1.  So performance is similar in that regard.  If you were speaking about the new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2--which uses a specially-paralled pair of LT3045s for even lower noise and lower output impedance--than for sure that would be even better as a 5VBUS supply.  But for your DAC/DDC; I'd never waste that on the 5VBUS for the input of the ISO REGEN. (Of course wonderful as the PS for the downstream side of the ISO REGEN or for other things.)

Hope that helps a bit.

--Alex C.

• 3 months later...

Nice review @Reverso.  Great tracks, especially those Leon Bridges.

And welcome to CA, er, now A.S.! (still getting used to Audiophile Style)

Feel free to contact me if you ever need advise or assistance (related to our products).

Since the original LPS-1 was superceded by the UltraCap LPS-1.2 at the beginning of 2018, perhaps you got yours second-hand.  Our full 3-year warranty is transferable, just be sure to keep record of the name of the original owner as we look up warranty dating based on original buyer name.

Best,

—Alex C.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello, have been a LPS 1/Sonore MicroRendu user for a good while now, and while I've had multiple issues with the MR I've never had any issues with the LPS 1...until now. It is dead. The green light on the MeanWell is lit, but the PS itself remains dead.   

Additionally, this has coincided with my MR also becoming inoperable. I would hate to think the failure of the LPS 1 would have anything to do with the MR also dying, but it would seem to be the case, unless it's just a very strange--and pocket draining!--coincidence. I've put in a request through the Uptone Contact Us page but have so far not heard anything; am not worried as it's still quite early in CA, but I am *very* interested in getting this problem resolved. Many thanks. 

2 hours ago, Oldominion said:

Hello, have been a LPS 1/Sonore MicroRendu user for a good while now, and while I've had multiple issues with the MR I've never had any issues with the LPS 1...until now. It is dead. ...

I've put in a request through the Uptone Contact Us page but have so far not heard anything; am not worried as it's still quite early in CA, but I am *very* interested in getting this problem resolved. Many thanks. 

Hi:

We are very sorry to hear that your original LPS-1 seems to have failed. Assuming that you are still within our generous 3-year warranty period, we will repair/replace your unit free-of-charge.

Regarding your microRendu: It is electrically nearly impossible for an UltraCap supply to damage the attached device it is powering.  None of its possible failure modes allow it put out voltage in excess of its setting.

Either UpTone or Sonore will be able to assist you with getting your microRendu back online. I would ask you some more questions about it and about what you have tried, but better to save that for private correspondence or a phone call.

I did see your message—through our Contact page—come into my e-mail.  You are Jack, correct? (The only message we received about an LPS-1 problem was from someone named Jack, though no mention was made of microRendu.)

Your message was sent on Sunday afternoon, and aside from avoiding e-mail on Sundays, our office is closed today as I am traveling at the end of long weekend away in the mountains celebrating my 31st wedding anniversary. Sadly, this trip is ending with my having taken a big fall off my mountain bike yesterday yesterday. On a very easy casual ride around a lake with my wife, my shoes (usually used with my other bike) failed to release. I took a sideways spill and my rigcage absorbed the impact—ouch! Was check out by paramedics, but it seems I may have cracked a rib. Difficult night sleeping with loads of pain, and I’m not looking forward to our 2.5 hour drive home later today (obviously my wife will be driving).

I will begin returning calls and e-mail tomorrow—most likely at my standing-desk, but it will be slow going for a few days. 

Thanks for your patience all; and Jack, I prioritize support and product difficulty messages ahead of others. So you will hear from me.

—Alex C.

Sorry to hear about the crash! (And yes, I am Jack). Three years ago I took a spill on my mountain bike and heard a distressing CRACK as I hit the ground. SInce I landed on my shoulder I assumed it was arm/shoulder/collar bone, but rose from the ground able to move my arm easily. No pain! Got back on bike and had ridden about a hundred feet when I realized what the crack was. A rib! All things considered it wasn't awful, though I did have to cool it on the bike rides for a month or so. Hoping your recuperation is similarly straightforward.

Also, congrats on the anniversary. 

Glad to hear the LPS can't zot out the MR. Oddly, they appear to have failed at the same time. 

Thanks tons for the prompt response and I look forward to getting back to streaming music! I love my LP's but have realized how much I rely on streaming since the MR/LPS1 have pooped out...

Alex, I hope the rib is feeling better and that you're recuperating. I look forward to getting this faulty power supply in the mail to you this week, if that is in fact the next step, in order to receive a new one under your very generous warranty. Please let me know what to do in order to get this process started. Many, many thanks in advance for your prompt attention and, again, I hope you're feeling a bit less sore...I was surprised at how quickly I was back in action. My broken rib remained sore for a week or so, and then became little more than a mild nuisance until healing within the following two months. I have a lot of free time this week, which is why I'd like to do whatever I can do on my end before Friday. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Oldominion said:

Alex, I hope the rib is feeling better and that you're recuperating. I look forward to getting this faulty power supply in the mail to you this week, if that is in fact the next step, in order to receive a new one under your very generous warranty. Please let me know what to do in order to get this process started. Many, many thanks in advance for your prompt attention and, again, I hope you're feeling a bit less sore...I was surprised at how quickly I was back in action. My broken rib remained sore for a week or so, and then became little more than a mild nuisance until healing within the following two months. I have a lot of free time this week, which is why I'd like to do whatever I can do on my end before Friday. Thank you. 

Hi Jack:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  Had a really rough night with no sleep—and the pain meds I tried are making me nauseous.  So I’m toast today. May have my wife take me to the doctor’s to get checked out.

I'm propped up on the couch now with my iPad. Don’t have your e-mail in front of me.  You can get the process started by simply mailing back your LPS-1. No cables, no charger, no retail packaging—just the LPS-1 in aluminum case.

Our address for repairs/returns is:

UpTone Audio LLC

4647 Indian Peak Road 

Mariposa, CA 95338

Please be sure to include a note with your name and address INSIDE the package.

I’ll get in contact with you again after we receive your unit.

Thanks and regards,

Alex Crespi

Alex, are you taking ibuprofen for the pain? It worked wonders for me recently when I tore my Achilles tendon for both pain & swelling. I'm not sure how it would work for bruised/cracked ribs but ibuprofen is always by go-to for treatment of pain. Good luck!

Cheers,

Robin

7 minutes ago, satfrat said:

Alex, are you taking ibuprofen for the pain? It worked wonders for me recently when I tore my Achilles tendon for both pain & swelling. I'm not sure how it would work for bruised/cracked ribs but ibuprofen is always by go-to for treatment of pain. Good luck!

Thanks Robin (have not spoke to you in years. Hi! Hope you are well.). I am indeed powering down the ibuprofen.  

And I may need to administer some to our large tabby cat who jumped onto my chest during the nap I was taking earlier. That was quite the scream-fest, and I pushed him off pretty hard into the edge of the coffee table. :o