IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 LISTENING IMPRESSIONS thread

7 hours ago, Narcissus said:

Can someone please comment on, powering both An IR and a uR/SMS 200 using a Y-DC cable via the LPS-1 will / will not result in any kind of degradation of the SQ as opposed to both the units being powered discretely via LPS 1? 

here you go:

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
13 hours ago, Narcissus said:

Can someone please comment on, powering both An IR and a uR/SMS 200 using a Y-DC cable via the LPS-1 will / will not result in any kind of degradation of the SQ as opposed to both the units being powered discretely via LPS 1? 

I tried powering the IR and uR from the LPS-1 with a Y-cable, but didn't like what I heard.  I reported my findings in the IR listening observations thread. Basically there was a loss of low end heft/slam.  Swapping in a separate supply restored and even improved upon the low end.

The Y-cable I used was a cheap one I purchased from Amazon.  Cheap enough to experiment on your own.  That's what I encourage everyone to do because we may each come away with different impressions.

i should point out that a while back I tried the same Y-cable to power the uR and an FMC from the LPS-1.  It degraded the performance there too.

Ghent Audio lists really nice Y-cable option for a fair price.  Results might be better with this cable:  https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc11.html

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2017 at 4:05 PM, Superdad said:

And I ordered the mix (2.5 and 2.1mm) such that we will--in a month or so after the ISO REGEN launch--be able to offer these cables to non-JS2 buyers and in a short 2.1>2.1 combo (JS-2 case 2.5mm jack so to-date one end has always been that size). 

If folks are hearing a difference with DC cables, then the above shielded star-quad should in a 50cm length may prove quite popular.  Price will be about $75.

Any updates on availability of this cable?

3 hours ago, Strojo said:

Any updates on availability of this cable?

Hi: Thanks for asking.

They were supposed to be done and shipped this past Tuesday, but PKC (the aerospace/military cable assembly firm I use, https://www.4pkc.com) had some odd delay.  I am sure the first 50 pieces will be here next week.

As much as I ought to use this weekend to update the web site--with a page for our Oyaide/Belden cables and also to sort out the worldwide postage for the little USPCB A>B Adapter so the AddToCart button can be activated), I am behind on other important things--must get more LPS-1 boards and cases orderer among a dozen other tasks--so it will have to wait.

If someone wants this cable prior to the web order page being up, just shoot me a message and I'll reply with instructions.  Please wait one week from now before you do as I don't yet have this version (50 cm, 5.5 x 2.1mm both ends) in hand.

--Alex C.

9 minutes ago, Strojo said:

My apologies if this is buried somewhere in this (or the other) LPS-1 thread(s), but how warm should the LPS-1 be when powered with a 9V iFi power adapter?  Mine's pretty darn warm...

The warmth of the LPS-1 depends not on the charging supply but rather on the current demand of whatever you are using the LPS-1's output to power.

In any case, there is no need for worry.  I ran an LPS-1 at full load (1.1A) continuos for a month.  Just fine.  We did lots of thermal tests (temperature probes on the board and in the case) before we released the product.  Even what seems hot (and I truly doubt you are cooking yours the way we did) is not more than about half the rated temperature specs for all the parts on the board.  About 1,300 units shipped since October 2016 and not a single field failure. :)

I got my Uptone package this week (LPS-1, ISO Regen and USPCB). To get a really good feel for the contribution each makes to my system I've decided to introduce the package one piece at a time, starting with the LPS-1 plugged directly into a separate outlet (not part of my dedicated circuit) using the shipped Meanwell SMPS and powering the (amber) Regen at 7V (Regen was previously powered by the big JS-1 LPS!!!!!

So far I've got about 72 continuous hours on the LPS-1 and am very pleased with the improvement in my sound. Lower noise floor, better dynamics, fuller and better resolved soundstage (especially from the midrange DOWN) and a more natural sound overall (listen to a well-recorded solo piano). Much more even representation of notes - beginning, middle and trailing edge. A slight upper frequency roughness I used to hear from time to time has vanished. With the bottom half of the sound spectrum somewhat more potent I had to back off the output of my sub by about half a millimeter. Bass is now tighter, more articulate. Overall it's like something sucked out the 'noise' and left the music.

So far, even before I get to listen to my IR, I'd say that having the LPS-1 powering the old Regen has made a major contribution to improving my sound (YMMV of course). This has made me think that if I had to decide which to buy first, the LPS-1 or the IR, I would go first for the LPS-1 (especially for DAC-facing low power devices). It seems foundational - potentially transformative even!

Having said all that I should point out that, after 30+ years in this hobby I am fanatical about isolating my equipment, which would have contributed to my above experience. Right now I'm using the Barry Diament-promoted roller bearings concept under all my hardware. In my experience these make a major contribution to a low noise floor, helps remove a grayness that sometimes prevents the music from standing out from its background; the music becomes better resolved (in my system).

I'll be back when I plug up the IR. Alex tells me I'm in for another treat. I say bring it on.

Source: Intel i3 NUC/fanless/Euphony/Ext SSD) JS-2;

DAC: Mojo Mystique V2/Regen /LPS1.2;Curious USB

Preamp: Music First Audio passive V2/ Morrow cables

Amp: Sanders Electrostatic; Mapleshade power cable

Speakers: Magneplanar 1.7/Hsu vTF2 sub/Room 27x15'  

Misc: eR; extensive anti-vibration; 1.7's on Herbie's footers

2 hours ago, Jay Tee said:

I'll be back when I plug up the IR

You won't want to unplug it.  I really liked your description of the LPS-1 sound quality benefits.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Thanks Rickca. Looking forward to the IR, but want to see first when the sound of the LPS-1 will stop improving. Will probably give it 200 hours.

Hi Jay Tee, thanks for your review as i am trying to decide on my upgrade path...i admire your patience in applying each step in turn. It does occur to me that powering the Lps1 from the JS2 (previously lowering the amber regen) would have been the logical starting point.Is there a reason for introducing the meanwell? Also, what is the next step, uspcb or iso. I am intrigued.

5 hours ago, Jay Tee said:

So far, even before I get to listen to my IR, I'd say that having the LPS-1 powering the old Regen has made a major contribution to improving my sound (YMMV of course). This has made me think that if I had to decide which to buy first, the LPS-1 or the IR, I would go first for the LPS-1 (especially for DAC-facing low power devices). It seems foundational - potentially transformative even!

I'll be back when I plug up the IR. Alex tells me I'm in for another treat. I say bring it on.

You just might be changing your mind as to what makes the more significant improvement once you bring the ISO into your system, even with just the Mean Well.  And the LPS-1 bumps things up another notch.

I wouldn't be sure that patience is admirable in this case.  O.o

Enjoy the ISO when you get to it....

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

:D Man oh man.  You may be saying the opposite once you actually listen to your ISO REGEN!

These days I don't have a lot of time to listen or to explore my music collection (my office is in the same room as my system/studio, yet playing music while I work during the week is too distracting!), but last night I decided I wanted to remind myself what someone just receiving an ISO REGEN experiences.  

So I took my broken-in ISO out, listened for a bit--not just to my well worn test tracks but to a range of albums--with just my computer straight into my DAC (well into the Singxer SU-1 sending I2S to Holo Spring L3).  Then I put in a brand-new "green" ISO REGEN. 

Admittedly I powered the ISO REGEN from the LPS-1, but OH CRAP!  I just had to laugh.  I prefer to let all you users sound the horn, but really, the ISO REGEN is probably the most transformative product we have ever put out.

I will say that a couple of hours of warm-up is needed--mostly for the clock I think--before much of the "dimensional magic" starts to happen.  But nobody who listens is going to not hear what this thing does. I am sure the better the system wilder the effect, yet perhaps more modest systems will benefit equally or more.  I really don't know, but the impressions from others, with a wide range of systems, seem to indicate the ISO REGEN is pretty much a "universal good."  

The above is about the only "hype" you will see from me in a while.  Mostly inspired because I am again listening this morning (while doing mindless accounting catchup and a few e-mails) and grinning constantly.  Beck, Brubeck, Andrew Bird, Blind Boy of Alabama, my playlist of favorite tracks has not made it past the "Bs" and I'm feeling way more relaxed than I have in a long time.  Maybe I should start playing the system in the background during the week...  9_9

Cheers,

--Alex C.

This hyped scenario isn't quite true for most as I would think most new ISO-Regen customers will be making their listening comparisons to an old Amber-Regen and not straight out from a computer as you are indicating Alex. (which by the way is exactly how I felt when I made my amber Regen purchase) :D

Jay Tee makes a valid point when adding the LPS-1 to AN OLD REGEN but what will be even more enlightening is when he replaces the old Regen with the ISO-Regen and see if he still feels the same about amber Regen owners possibly purchasing the LPS-1 first before replacing the reasonably priced Regen with the double expensive ISO-Regen. I for one will be most interested in what's to come,about if for no other reason than to validate replacing the amber-Regen to begin with instead of just adding the LPS-1 to a Meanwell SMPS which after all is the most cost effective option here for present amber Regen owners on a fixed income like myself.

Cheers,

Robin

3 minutes ago, satfrat said:

Jay Tee makes a valid point when adding the LPS-1 to AN OLD REGEN but what will be even more enlightening is when he replaces the old Regen with the ISO-Regen and see if he still feels the same about amber Regen owners possibly purchasing the LPS-1 first before replacing the reasonably priced Regen with the double expensive ISO-Regen. I for one will be most interested in what's to come,about if for no other reason than to validate replacing the amber-Regen to begin with instead of just adding the LPS-1 to a Meanwell SMPS which after all is the most cost effective option here for present amber Regen owners on a fixed income like myself.

Hi Robin:

Your points are all VERY valid of course!  :)

Then again, I and many others have already heard the difference between the original USB REGEN and the ISO REGEN (in my case, every step of the way during development).  I hesitate to say it, but at this point, to me the USB REGEN sounds "broken" in comparison to the ISO REGEN.

The only reasons I posted what I did were:

a) I thought it funny that Jay Tee would declare the LPS-1 as the more significant device before he even listened to his ISO REGEN;

b) I wanted to relay my "pretending I'd never heard a REGEN at all," put-one-in-green experience.  Doing so (the act, not the writing about it) is an important thing for a manufacturer to do once in a while.  Sometimes we forget how everything is adding up and it is a good reminder to check what the user's "out of box" experience is going to be.  That's all really.

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods--and that you are laying off that delicious maple syrup. x-D

--Alex C.

12 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi Robin:

Your points are all VERY valid of course!  :)

Then again, I and many others have already heard the difference between the original USB REGEN and the ISO REGEN (in my case, every step of the way during development).  I hesitate to say it, but at this point, to me the USB REGEN sounds "broken" in comparison to the ISO REGEN.

The only reasons I posted what I did were:

a) I thought it funny that Jay Tee would declare the LPS-1 as the more significant device before he even listened to his ISO REGEN;

b) I wanted to relay my "pretending I'd never heard a REGEN at all," put-one-in-green experience.  Doing so (the act, not the writing about it) is an important thing for a manufacturer to do once in a while.  Sometimes we forget how everything is adding up and it is a good reminder to check what the user's "out of box" experience is going to be.  That's all really.

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods--and that you are laying off that delicious maple syrup. x-D

--Alex C.

Actually what surprised me the most was Jay Tee's LPS-1 comments when compared to the JS-1! Gotta say that makes me want to upgrade my Meanwell SMPS that much more. I took from his comments of how impressed he was with the LPS-1 and not so much his discounting the ISO as he hasn't even tried it yet. Seeing how that was my question from the first day the Iso was introduced (doing a LPS-1 or an ISO upgrade first), Jay Tee's  gushing over the LPS-1 definitely caught my attention. I anxiously await Jay Tee's replacing the old Regen with the ISO even tho in reality, it'll be awhile before I can afford either. 9_9 

Also in reality, it's been nearly 20 years since these diabetic lips have touched our Vermont's #1 treasure, Vt Maple syrup. I save the sweet stuff for my ears. :D 

Cheers,

Robin

Frojo, 

The main reason for using the supplied Meanwell (as opposed to the JS-2) was three-fold:

1. As I understand Alex, the type of energizing supply feeding the LPS-1 is pretty much irrelevant to its performance; 

2. Yes, I'm sure the SMPS is putting some garbage back onto the power line, but the rest of my system is on a separate dedicated circuit;

3. I had been running three devices from the JS-2, my Aires (femto), the Regen and an external SSD and I found that when I removed the split cable (even after the Regen was removed but the cable was still in place), the sound was tidier. For me what this means is that I will probably not be using the split cable again any time soon. I may even get another LPS-1 for the Music SSD (it's one 1TB).

Let me know what you think.

What's next? The IR, of course. Think I may even cut the run-in time for the LPS-1 to 100 hours...so standby.

13 hours ago, Superdad said:

I hesitate to say it, but at this point, to me the USB REGEN sounds "broken" in comparison to the ISO REGEN.

That's intriguing.  In what way?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Alex,
Nice little exercise. I have no doubt the IR will be transformational in my system. That's been the tone of most of the CA feedback I've seen (though by using the LPS-1 throughout your own experiment you tacitly agree with me that this power supply is foundational). Based on what I've heard so far from the LPS-1 in my system I would find it hard to believe that its substantial attributes will not help the IR to perform closer to its full potential, especially with both devices coming from the same brilliant Uptone minds.

I would be preaching to the converted if I went on about the importance of robust, fast, ultra clean power to the performance of high end hi fi kit. From my vantage point that's what the LPS-1 brings to the table for low power devices (I may even get a second one). By way of comparison, the LPS-1 feeding the amber Regen produced more of an improvement in my system than I got when I swapped out the Aires power supply for the JS-2 (this is not a criticism of the JS-2; it performed much better than the stock Aires LPS, but may have needed this cleaner music source to show its full colors).

And to be clear, in my earlier post I wasn't putting down the IR, since it's still in the box it came in. If all goes well, I will hear it for the first time this week. Then I'll be back.

In this discussion of what I'm hearing it's vital to remember that my experiences are based only on my system; the actual hardware, how its mounted/connected/configured/cabled and of course the room.

Besides my obsession with equipment isolation I mentioned before, I pay a lot of attention to the power feeding the various pieces. I use a dedicated power point (with Mapleshade's $69 'ultra minimalist AC duplex outlet' replacing the standard receptacle), with one side of it feeding the 350 WPC Sanders amp directly, the other outlet connects the balanced power unit (BPU).

The multi-outlet BPU feeds the DAC and the JS-2, which powers the Aires and SSD. Except on the amp, each AC plug is floated, with its final orientation determined by ear. The separate duplex outlet powering the subwoofer also has a Shunyata Venom Defender noise reduction dongle plugged in as well. And my system runs 24/7 - everything - unless we expect bad weather, when it's all plugged out.

My last concern is that cables are properly "dressed" as the folks in England would say...not touching each other, not being too close and parallel, speaker cables off the floor etc. It all adds up.

Right now I am looking forward to testing Alex's assertion that the Regen sounds "broken" in comparison to the ISO REGEN. Hopefully by this time in the coming week I'll be able to offer my 2 cents.

I have been a happy user of the UltraCap LPS-1 with a microRendu for a number of months now ... and this does produce an enjoyable sound. Recently, however, I have 'strayed' into the S/PDIF world ... just out of curiosity ... and bought an Armature Hecate DDC (a European Singxer FI look-alike, if not identical). I also got a cable adapter that has a separate power feed (picture below), for which I use the LPS-1 to power the DDC. The sound is marvellous and in many ways an improvement over the microRendu. My question is ... having powered the DDC in this way, should the ISO Regen, as an add-on to this chain, provide yet more 'significant' benefits or is it now a 'marginal' benefit ?

8332_adaptateurUSB-Balimentationexterne_

IMG_0178.jpg

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

Charente, your question is a good one; many variables to consider, including the relative performance of your DAC via SPDIF IN compared with USB IN. If Alex is right that the IR is his most significant product to date, it could well be that you can expect improved sound by adding the IR (remember it's only for USB DAC Iinputs).

I plan to add my IR to the LPS-1 tonight and will report in a few days what I hear.

In the meantime I am not surprised to hear that you got a bump in sound quality by running your DDC from the LPS-1. I really think this LPS is a quiet game-changer for these low power devices. I feel certain we will hear more stories similar to yours about the LPS-1 if it's used appropriately.

5 minutes ago, Jay Tee said:
... (remember it's only for USB DAC Iinputs)....

Thank-you Jay Tee ... look forward to your further impressions ... your previous posts have been very useful ... My experience, so far, is that the S/PDIF route sounds (to me) quite a bit better, which surprised me somewhat. So, my thought (if it makes sense) was to add the ISO Regen as an input to the DDC, in other words, between the MacMini-out and the DDC-in. 

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

48 minutes ago, Charente said:

My question is ... having powered the DDC in this way, should the ISO Regen, as an add-on to this chain, provide yet more 'significant' benefits or is it now a 'marginal' benefit ?

Our REGENs (both the original USB REGEN and the new ISO REGEN) have always benefitted USB>S/PDIF converters--in the same way and for the same reasons--as they have for the USB input of a DAC.  Improved signal integrity, clocking, impedance match.  

There are many hundreds of people using REGENs with DDCs such as Berkeley Alpha, m2tech, Bel Canto, YellowTec, Singxer (lots of SU-1 owners with ISO REGEN now), etc.  

If you get an ISO REGEN, power it from the LPS-1--set at 7V--and let the 5VBUS of the ISO REGEN power your USB>S/PDIF converter--no need to use the VBUS injector cable at that point.  The output voltage regulators of the LPS-1 and the 5VBUS regulator of the ISO REGEN are the same ultra-low noise 1-amp TI TPS7A4700, so it is a wash there.

On the other hand, since you already have the VBUS injector cable: If you wanted to keep your ISO REGEN cool (the load from the entirely bus-powered DDC is going to get the ISO REGEN pretty hot--though that's okay), you could use a 'Y' cable and use the LPS-1 to power the ISO REGEN and DDC separately.  If you do that, then be certain to set the LPS-1 to 5V so you don't fry your DDC!

Thank-you Alex ... you have given me a valuable insight as to how I could approach this ... it is EXTREMELY tempting ... so, I 'could' get away with not needing separate LPS-1's to power both units (for the moment), using my existing LPS-1, and perhaps consider buying an additional one as a future upgrade, should I get the urge !