IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 LISTENING IMPRESSIONS thread

Thanks Mikey for your detailed and informative answer. It's good you just reminded me that I have a new set of Cardas myrtle blocks that I never even opened, so I will try them under the LPS-1. The heat sink idea is very neat.

I also got great results by using a vibrapods and their cones sitting on top of the ikea bamboo, this combination really works very well and it is a great VFM. I tried this under my Brooklyn Dac and music server. I haven't used the Fat Padz before and I don't know about their performance. I will check out their price here in Toronto and see if I will try them.

Re shipping/receiving area: is that a bear I can just make out in the shadows of the outside foliage ...?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

It took less than 10 minutes to appreciate the improvement made by the LPS-1 when inserted between my SBooster 9V LPS and microrendu! The Paul Hynes braided silver DC cable was also a major step up from the stock cable.

Bass is firmed up, highs are smoother and more natural and individual voices and instruments are more distinctly positioned in three dimension, yet more integrated in the overall soundstage. Micro-details are more fleshed out, for a more authentic listening experience.

I know exactly how exaggerated this must sound, but my speakers have pretty much disappeared as an obvious source of sound. With the best recordings, there is simply a 3D sphere of sound.

I can listen comfortably at much higher levels, but rarely feel the need.

The only downside in my experience is that the slight, but audible, difference that was already there between streaming from Tidal Hifi and playback from ripped CD’s is now much more readily apparent. But I can learn to live with that.

My LPS-1 sandwich - From the bottom: Ikea Apititlig bamboo cutting board, 4 Vibrapods, 4 Vibracones upgraded with Symposium grade 2.5 tungsten carbide Superballs, LPS-1, heatsink, Herbie’s Audiolabs Supersonic Stabilizer to damp heatsink ringing.

LPS1.JPG

LPS1.jpg

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

It took less than 10 minutes to appreciate the improvement made by the LPS-1 when inserted between my SBooster 9V LPS and microrendu! The Paul Hynes braided silver DC cable was also a major step up from the stock cable.

Bass is firmed up, highs are smoother and more natural and individual voices and instruments are more distinctly positioned in three dimension, yet more integrated in the overall soundstage. Micro-details are more fleshed out, for a more authentic listening experience.

I know exactly how exaggerated this must sound, but my speakers have pretty much disappeared as an obvious source of sound. With the best recordings, there is simply a 3D sphere of sound.

I can listen comfortably at much higher levels, but rarely feel the need.

The only downside in my experience is that the slight, but audible, difference that was already there between streaming from Tidal Hifi and playback from ripped CD’s is now much more readily apparent. But I can learn to live with that.

My LPS-1 sandwich - From the bottom: Ikea Apititlig bamboo cutting board, 4 Vibrapods, 4 Vibracones upgraded with Symposium grade 2.5 tungsten carbide Superballs, LPS-1, heatsink, Herbie’s Audiolabs Supersonic Stabilizer to damp heatsink ringing.

That's an awesome LPS-1 setup!

That's an awesome LPS-1 setup!

The LPS-1 is tremendous. I have a pretty good LPS, in the Core Technologies Kaia, dual rail, at 5v for my JCAT card and 12v for my MOBO and am really enjoying the LPS-1 powering the JCAT card when using the CAPS and my microRendu when using it. I have to say, after trying all the iterations, comparing them all to each other, my favorite combination is the LPS-1--->microRendu-->MSB Diamond V DAC using DLNA; with the caveat that direct DSD with the microRendu with my DAC has to be used with caution (as do many others) because of the loud pops, etc when panning and changing tracks manually. I am awaiting for the new JCAT to come to compare it to the microRendu but the LPS-1 for me is a winner. Pretty amazing (and relatively inexpensive) and flexible LPS for my needs. Another great product for us audiophiles.

The LPS-1 is tremendous. I have a pretty good LPS, in the Core Technologies Kaia, dual rail, at 5v for my JCAT card and 12v for my MOBO and am really enjoying the LPS-1 powering the JCAT card when using the CAPS and my microRendu when using it. I have to say, after trying all the iterations, comparing them all to each other, my favorite combination is the LPS-1--->microRendu-->MSB Diamond V DAC using DLNA; with the caveat that direct DSD with the microRendu with my DAC has to be used with caution (as do many others) because of the loud pops, etc when panning and changing tracks manually. I am awaiting for the new JCAT to come to compare it to the microRendu but the LPS-1 for me is a winner. Pretty amazing (and relatively inexpensive) and flexible LPS for my needs. Another great product for us audiophiles.

It's amazing now each one of us is enjoying the LPS-1 in a different setup in his system, but everyone agrees that this is one if the best devices that adds to our listening pleasure.

All right already! The reviews seem favorable… to say the least. I just bit the bullet - order number 4473. I'm hopeful that by the time it arrives in mid December I'll be able to maneuver into my stereo cabinet to install it… I have a total knee replacement scheduled for next Monday (and a lot of recovery time in my listening chair scheduled after that [emoji4])

Mac Mini (mid 2010) Yosemite, Audirvana Plus v 3.0 > Mapleshade ClearLink Plus USB > UpTone REGEN (Amber) w/LPS-1 > Peachtree nova150 > PSB Imagine T / REL R328 and so on...

All right already! The reviews seem favorable… to say the least. I just bit the bullet - order number 4473. I'm hopeful that by the time it arrives in mid December I'll be able to maneuver into my stereo cabinet to install it… I have a total knee replacement scheduled for next Monday (and a lot of recovery time in my listening chair scheduled after that [emoji4])

Hi Bill:

Thanks very much for your order. And best wishes to you on your knee replacement! My assistant's husband just had the same operation and I was shocked to see how quickly he was back on his feet and being fully active. My wife's ACL operations had longer recovery. Just watch it with the pain killers they give you. Those things have become the scourge of our nation...

--Alex C.

Thanks Alex. I had my other knee done last January so I'm actually excited to get the second one done. I hear you on the painkillers… It scared me that I started thinking like Rush Limbaugh [emoji37] so I got off of them as soon as I could.

Mac Mini (mid 2010) Yosemite, Audirvana Plus v 3.0 > Mapleshade ClearLink Plus USB > UpTone REGEN (Amber) w/LPS-1 > Peachtree nova150 > PSB Imagine T / REL R328 and so on...

Bill, wish you a healthy and speedy recovery!

WD USB HDD - Sonic Transporter (LMS) - modem/router - Etalon Isolator - microrendu (SBooster 9V/Uptone LPS-1)

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

listening impressions thread... cats.... herding..... futility.... thread curation? (r.i.p. REShaman)... surrender... anarchy..... oh well.... have fun!

:)

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

My 12-inch 18g UP-OCC silver DC lead (99.9999% pure) with Oyaide gold plated 2.1mm barrel connectors came in today. I paid $166 to have this cable made. This is how it looks compared to the stock DC leads that came with my LPS-1:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29971[/ATTACH]

In my system, there is a subtle but definite improvement, enough to have made the additional money spent worthwhile. The presentation remains as smooth as ever but fine details are cleaner and even crisper, the plucking of a guitar string, for example. Fine layers of detail are also better finessed, such as when a snare drum is struck with a brush. With the silver cable, I can hear more of the individual bristles striking the drum. I am more and more convinced that low impedance which yields better transient response and low-level detail is what is making the biggest difference in my system. My Paul Hynes supply with a similar silver DC lead is now en route from Scotland. If it cannot outperform my LPS-1, I will proceed to hardwire my microRendu to my LPS-1 with the idea that bypassing the barrel connectors should yield even lower impedance.

Here is Jesus' photo of the soon-to-be-released "black" microRendu on top of his LPS-1. They look like a match made in heaven. Uptone Audio or Sonore should consider selling a black microRendu hardwired to an LPS-1. It would be hard to beat and a real looker at the same time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29972[/ATTACH]

Romaz,

If it isn't asking to much, might I've the name or link of the company that made your UP-OCC Silver DC umbilical power cord for you?, as someone whom is keen on silver as well, I'd like to pursue one for myself.

Hopefully you'll find in yourself to respond?, as I PM'ed you several days ago with said question.

Regards,

O_o scar

Hi Roma's,

Please disclose where you ordered your cable!

Anyone tried the Sonore Cardas built cable?

Thanks,

Steven

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

Hi, sorry, I've been traveling.

Feel free to reach out to Dave, owner of zenwaveaudio.com. He is very responsive and with very quick turnaround. I can also vouch for the quality of his work and he can custom configure to your needs.

I can't speak for the other DC cables being sold but IMO, the best DC is about speed and so the best DC cabling will have the lowest resistance (impedance) possible. No natural conductor is faster (and has lower resistance) than silver and the purer, the better. Moreover, you cannot commercially obtain purer silver than UP-OCC grade silver (99.9999% pure). It is expensive but there is nothing better.

Finally, the barrel connectors themselves will add resistance. I specified the Oyaide gold-plated brass connectors (2.1mm x 5.5mm) because they are the best I could find but they will not be better than directly hardwiring the LPS-1 to your mR. If you are willing to send your mR and LPS-1 to Dave at zenwaveaudio.com (based in Colorado), he will hardwire the two for you with whatever length of 18g solid core UP-OCC grade silver you desire. Dave has made several custom-specified cables for me over the past few months (y-adapters, headphone cables, DC cables) and I am a very happy customer. His workmanship is top notch.

Romaz,

If it isn't asking to much, might I've the name or link of the company that made your UP-OCC Silver DC umbilical power cord for you?, as someone whom is keen on silver as well, I'd like to pursue one for myself.

Hopefully you'll find in yourself to respond?, as I PM'ed you several days ago with said question.

Hi, sorry, I've been traveling.

Feel free to reach out to Dave, owner of zenwaveaudio.com. He is very responsive and with very quick turnaround. I can also vouch for the quality of his work and he can custom configure to your needs.

I can't speak for the other DC cables being sold but IMO, the best DC is about speed and so the best DC cabling will have the lowest resistance (impedance) possible. No natural conductor is faster (and has lower resistance) than silver and the purer, the better. Moreover, you cannot commercially obtain purer silver than UP-OCC grade silver (99.9999% pure). It is expensive but there is nothing better.

Finally, the barrel connectors themselves will add resistance. I specified the Oyaide gold-plated brass connectors (2.1mm x 5.5mm) because they are the best I could find but they will not be better than directly hardwiring the LPS-1 to your mR. If you are willing to send your mR and LPS-1 to Dave at zenwaveaudio.com (based in Colorado), he will hardwire the two for you with whatever length of 18g solid core UP-OCC grade silver you desire. Dave has made several custom-specified cables for me over the past few months (y-adapters, headphone cables, DC cables) and I am a very happy customer. His workmanship is top notch.

Thanks Romaz,

I shall ask Dave for said project when the time comes, and here's wishing you safe travel, as well as wish you and yours a upcoming joyous holiday.

Regards,

O_o scar

Just got mine today-only about 16 days door to door, including customs clearance: Thanks, Alex, for adapting to my shipping needs.

As far as listening, I'll just say that it's clear the LPS-1 makes a difference over the iFi plugin (I'm using the supplied wall wart with the LPS-1) powering my microRendu. There's simply a quieter background, which makes every aspect sound better.

Did it "transform" my system? No, but it kicked it up another notch. :)

I think if you can get an already good sounding system to sound better for about $400 bucks, you've done okay. Definitely more cost effective than upgrading components.

At some point I'm going to try it with my SB Touches (one standard, one modded) to see what it does for them.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Previously I was using an El Cheap-O LPS to power my microRendu. The LPS-1 has been on for about a week or so.

The difference between the two power supplies is immediately obvious, with the LPS-1 being superior. The LPS-1 brings a better delineated soundstage and superior imaging, more acoustic or room/recording venue cues, more clarity, more 3D. With the LPS-1 installed, the system is much better at creating the illusion that you are in the room with the band.

Well worth the investment since IMHO similar sonic improvements through component or speaker upgrades would cost thousands.

I am now experimenting with footers for the LPS-1. I am currently using Stillpoints Ultra Minis with an IKEA Aptitlig board underneath. I will later substitute Boston Acoustic Tuneblocks, Symposium Acoustics Rollerblocks and then Synergistic Research MiG's (not a fan of Synergistic as a company, but I have the MiG's laying around anyway, so why not?).

After that I will experiment with a custom Revelation Audio Labs silver umbilical cord between the LPS-1 and the microRendu.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Previously I was using an El Cheap-O LPS to power my microRendu. The LPS-1 has been on for about a week or so.

The difference between the two power supplies is immediately obvious, with the LPS-1 being superior. The LPS-1 brings a better delineated soundstage and superior imaging, more acoustic or room/recording venue cues, more clarity, more 3D. With the LPS-1 installed, the system is much better at creating the illusion that you are in the room with the band.

Well worth the investment since IMHO similar sonic improvements through component or speaker upgrades would cost thousands.

Hi Blake - what are you powering the LPS-1 with?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hi Blake - what are you powering the LPS-1 with?

The Mean Well SMPS. I have not yet tried substituting the El Cheap-O for the Mean Well, but I suppose I should try that just for giggles.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Yeah, that is why experimenting with the El Cheap-O in place of the Mean Well is very, very low on my 'to do' list.

Alex, sorry, please move my last two posts to the other thread.