IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 LISTENING IMPRESSIONS thread

Should get my LPS-1 tomorrow, one of the first among the international shipment recipients. (Only Mexico, Fedex besides, no gloating.) Looking forward. To be fed by JS-2, into the second of two Regens. Details to follow.

UptonedMacMini(onJS2)>TelluriumSiverDiamondUSB>IsREgen(onLPS1onJS2)>Curious(short)>BerkeleyAlphaUSB>TomboTronBNC>MetrumPavaneDAC>SilvermithPalladium>MargulesSF(20SE)Pre>TelluriumSilverDiamond>MarguesU280c(25SE)Amp>AZAbsoluteSpeakercables>MargulesOrpheus+MarguleSub.CD:Cambridge851C>StealthVaridigSextet>MetrumPavane.

Powerconditioning/cables:AudienceAR6TSSD;KubalaSosnaElationon>AR6;OndaRaptureonPre-andAmp;KaplancablesonDAC/Transport;Combak350>JS-2;AZAbsolute>Alpha USB.

5ab04fc775d4d_2018-02-1511_30_04.thumb.jpg.bdba2e1c8a8ba2d514247b298a41222d.jpg

Yes, greater see-throughness, an even closer sense of actual music, and that is with a very well sussed out system already.

Simply put the LPS-1 inserted creates an intimacy with the music I’ve not experience to date…. and I was stoked with the way my setup sounded already. Productivity just took a big hit!

UptonedMacMini(onJS2)>TelluriumSiverDiamondUSB>IsREgen(onLPS1onJS2)>Curious(short)>BerkeleyAlphaUSB>TomboTronBNC>MetrumPavaneDAC>SilvermithPalladium>MargulesSF(20SE)Pre>TelluriumSilverDiamond>MarguesU280c(25SE)Amp>AZAbsoluteSpeakercables>MargulesOrpheus+MarguleSub.CD:Cambridge851C>StealthVaridigSextet>MetrumPavane.

Powerconditioning/cables:AudienceAR6TSSD;KubalaSosnaElationon>AR6;OndaRaptureonPre-andAmp;KaplancablesonDAC/Transport;Combak350>JS-2;AZAbsolute>Alpha USB.

I didn't expect there to be as much difference as there was switching a Regen from the JS-2 to the LPS-1 either. Switching from the MeanWell to the JS-2 had brought a pretty big improvement. Going from the JS-2 to the LPS-1 was an even larger improvement, not what I expected at all. System is in signature.

My experience is similar to how folks have been describing the improvements with the Microrendu.

I had been thinking that there wouldn't be a huge difference between the JS-2 and the LPS-1 powering the final Regen in my chain, and that I would be able to use the LPS-1 with my transportable system. That isn't going to happen.

Agree, totally, on LPS-1 on final Regen -- after iFi USB 3 and first Regen-- all three powered by one 9v output of JS-2, the other output feeding a fully Uptoned Mac Mini. Besides, the deal is the sweeter paying just 18 USD on customs after a two-day international delivery by Fedex. (Of course, I have had to face grief from the formidable Ishita on the multiplying boxes: "Do you really need *all these* thingamajigs"?, she asked with a toss of her head. Who knows, but don't have the heart to take out the iFi and the first Regen.) Thank you Alex and John and team.

The LPS-1 hasn't made my system sound totally different. My listening impression is that it has removed more low level noise and allowed more low level details in the music to come through. This has made for more relaxed listening, with a feeling of not having to work hard to hear subtleties like inflections in the way instruments are played and vocals are sung, and a sense of more palpable imaging and soundstage. Overall, in a system that already had low noise levels, this is a very nice improvement.

Concur with Jud. (I had tried to post about this yesterday, but rambled a bit.) The point is that with LPS-1 the actual nature of recordings, what is on them, is clearer -- without homogenization or standardization or editization. And so a louder recording sounds, well, louder and bolder, while more delicate recordings sound that way, too: Mention this because there was some discussion earlier about the LPS-1 making recordings sound louder across the board. This is not my experience.

The LPS-1 hasn't made my system sound totally different. My listening impression is that it has removed more low level noise and allowed more low level details in the music to come through. This has made for more relaxed listening, with a feeling of not having to work hard to hear subtleties like inflections in the way instruments are played and vocals are sung, and a sense of more palpable imaging and soundstage. Overall, in a system that already had low noise levels, this is a very nice improvement.

Concur with Jud. (I had tried to post about this yesterday, but rambled a bit.) The point is that with LPS-1 the actual nature of recordings, what is on them, is clearer -- without homogenization or standardization or editization. And so a louder recording sounds, well, louder and bolder, while more delicate recordings sound that way, too: Mention this because there was some discussion earlier about the LPS-1 making recordings sound louder across the board. This is not my experience.

Sorry, I meant to say that "more delicate recordings sound delicate"

I am using an Uptoned dedicated Mac Mini (16 GB Ram, 2 TB SSD) on JS-2, and the JS-2 also feeds (9v output via a custom three way cord) an iFiUSB 3 into a Regen into a LPS-1 that feeds a final, second Regen. So, Mac not mR, and JS-2 as feeding the LPS-1. Earlier, I was using the JS-2 on the second Regen, without the LPS-1. (My system is in the signature below.) Trust this helps.

sdube, are you using a mR, and what were you using as a PS before the LPS-1?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

• 3 months later...
I have two LPS-1s, supplying the power of my SSD and USB Card of my Audio PC.

I have compared the sound vs the HDPlex LPS. The LPS-1 sounds much natural and analogue like, where as the HDPlex's is more on the definition side but notable on the highs, a bit fatiguing for the ears.

I'm thinking of getting a third one for the Regen (which is connected to the Intona USB Isolator.).

Has Anyone tried the LPS-1 with the Upton Regen?

The combination is brilliant. Check my signature (system) line. I use the JS-2 to power, through a custom 3-way dc cable, a ifi USB 3, a Regen, and the LPS-1, which feeds a second Regen. So, Mac Mini>ifi USB3>Regen>Regen(on LPS-)>Berkeley Alpha USB>>>>

Great stuff.

Have you tried powering both Regens from the LPS-1?

I had a similar config (two Regens immediately before DAC), powering the first Regen and LPS-1 with the JS-2, with the LPS-1 powering the second Regen. On a whim, I tried powering both Regens from the single LPS-1 and found I preferred that configuration.

Great stuff indeed!

Thanks. Hmmm, reckon I could try, but wasn't there a stricture from Superdad/John S about not powering two Regens from one LS-1? Besides, my Regen rigmarole does not feed directly into the DAC. Ah well, path to perdition already stands taken.

You clearly have a very different USB chain, but in mine the difference was readily apparent powering both from the single LPS-1.

I am experimenting with going back to just a single Regen between the DAC and the Icron, with that Regen being powered by an LPS-1. The jury is still out on this change.

Yes, I have thought of removing one of the Regens, so that there is only one in the chain. But why mess what is working well? Actually, I should be able to detect changes easily after a new, cutting-edge upgrade to my amp by its daddy, Julian Margules. (Julian was over last Friday for dinner, and loved the way all of it sounds.) A new top of the line Tellurium Silver Diamond IC from pre to amp has also helped a lot.

Same for me. When I added the second Regen, it definitely did not make the sound worse, but I also couldn't for certain confirm that the sound was improved, so it stayed. But since then, I have made a significant number of power upgrades to my chain.

So it's time to re-evaluate whether the second Regen is beneficial or not. Especially since there was the difference with the 2nd Regen powered by the LPS-1 vs JS-2.

Based on your concern whether or not one should power 2 Regens with a single LPS-1, I guess I could test that also, as I could use the LPS-1 from my transportable system for the test. I hope there isn't a discernible difference, as I really don't want to purchase another LPS-1. :)

Agree all round with you, especially not buying anything more, not even another LPS-I: well, the latter maybe for my desk top system!

My second Regen is powered by LPS-I.

Same for me. When I added the second Regen, it definitely did not make the sound worse, but I also couldn't for certain confirm that the sound was improved, so it stayed. But since then, I have made a significant number of power upgrades to my chain.

So it's time to re-evaluate whether the second Regen is beneficial or not. Especially since there was the difference with the 2nd Regen powered by the LPS-1 vs JS-2.

Based on your concern whether or not one should power 2 Regens with a single LPS-1, I guess I could test that also, as I could use the LPS-1 from my transportable system for the test. I hope there isn't a discernible difference, as I really don't want to purchase another LPS-1. :)

• 3 months later...

Just wrote this to Alex: "Fedex delivered the ISO Regen. It is DOA, I am afraid. Doesn't work directly with supplied connector -- or a Curios USB link -- into Berkeley Alpha USB. There is a popping/crackling noise, and then the connection fails. On my desktop system, into another USB>SPDI/F converter, the connection came on with crackling, distorting nose for sometime, and then failed. The earlier Regens are working fine. The new connector makes a change for the better. But all this is kind of disappointing. What is to be done"

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, mwhitak said:

Second that. Thank you to Jesus, Andrew, and Superdad  for all the great work !

Congratulations/Felicidades/Badhieyaan, indeed.

32 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

Scary thought honestly.  What happens to UpTone if the unthinkable happened? 

It is in routine social worlds, their ebb and flow, that the unimaginable is imagined (not me, but a strange, sublime, unusual Durkheim): You did ask the question though.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, welldone said:

Now i'm looking for a better DC power cords for Lps1. I heard that better power cords can also impact on the SQ. Has anyone tried with a better power cords? 

Uptone makes them.