IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 LISTENING IMPRESSIONS thread

Was on the doorstep when I arrived home from Louisiana Philharmonic open rehearsal.

Feeding W4S Recovery with LPS-1 which itself is fed via 12v output of HDPlex 100w LPSU. Been playing continuously for 3-4 hours and system is sounding great.

Made some major changes recently - not to the system but the room. Preparing for a move and stripped out all of my room treatment stuff. So,,, that no doubt affects the sound I'm hearing. What I can state though is that the sound I'm hearing has never been better - very detailed, very quiet, lots of ambience. At some point, I'll pull out the LPS-1 and go back to the straight 7.5v HDPlex feed --- though that may not happen very soon. ;)

My LPS-1 is powered by a 7.5 output from an HDPlex 100w LPSU.

The LPS-1 powers a Wired4Sound Recovery which feeds my Lampizator G5L4 DAC.

An Auralic Aries (top model) serves up the music files.

I've had the LPS-1 for over a week now, but only today have taken the time to do a "with/without" comparison. I was in no hurry to do this because I really liked what I was hearing, but some other members with the W4S Recovery were waiting for "the word."

Didn't take long... I have a ton of things on a reference playlist, but there are a few songs/files that will tell me about all I need to know and about all there is to say. If I delineated every plus that I hear it would simply be a reiteration of nearly every other post here so I'll put it another way. What I hear sounds like the DAC used has been seriously/substantially upgraded however there is NO downside as there often is from DAC to DAC. This is an improvement that will transfer as you upgrade.

Not cheap, but once used/heard the LPS-1 becomes mandatory. I would not want to lose it. Nope, it's a keeper.

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, Bamber said:

I purchased a LPS-1 complete with Meanwell Energiser from VortexBox in the UK which arrived today.

I am using it to power a Wyred 4 Sound Recovery (Rev C) and have the LPS-1 set to 7v.  I wait 75 seconds and check that the led turns green.

When connected the soundstage is flat and instruments like pianos sound digital and not lifelike.  The sound is muffled, lifeless and horrible to listen.  Once I replace the original Recovery power supply the energy and amazing fidelity returns.  All instruments are natural again.

Something must be wrong as the reviews are positive about the LPS-1.  Others have used the LPS-1 with the Recovery with good results.  I’m hoping it is just a faulty unit because I was looking forward to the same results others have reported.

Hoping someone can help and tell me what could be wrong?

I use the Uptone LPS-1 to power a W4S Recovery into a Lampizator DAC. The LPS-1 is a distinct improvement over several other high quality PSU and battery units I have tried and your result is indeed puzzling.