IGNORED

Offline up-converting from PCM to DSD

bodiebill

For serious listening sessions I up-convert my FLAC files to DSD128 before playing. I currently have two ways to do that: with JRiver MC22 or with XLD, and I just did some comparing. To my ears the SQ is slightly better when up-converted with MC22 (against my expectation to be honest). But I must add that MC22 was doing its job on an optimized Server 2012 PC in core mode, whereas XLD runs on a standard iMac.

Anyone else did any comparisons? And how does the (expensive) AuI converter compare?

audio system

For serious listening sessions I up-convert my FLAC files to DSD128 before playing. I currently have two ways to do that: with JRiver MC22 or with XLD, and I just did some comparing. To my ears the SQ is slightly better when up-converted with MC22 (against my expectation to be honest). But I must add that MC22 was doing its job on an optimized Server 2012 PC in core mode, whereas XLD runs on a standard iMac.

Anyone else did any comparisons? And how does the (expensive) AuI converter compare?

IMHO it doesn't make sense to talk about such comparisons here without posting the actual settings used in each converter... especially the upsampling and filter settings.

Independent of SQ AuI converter is sloooooowwwww (even on my 8 core / 24GB RAM MacPro).

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | NAD C 316BEE | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

IMHO it doesn't make sense to talk about such comparisons here without posting the actual settings used in each converter... especially the upsampling and filter settings.

Independent of SQ AuI converter is sloooooowwwww (even on my 8 core / 24GB RAM MacPro).

Made some sense, as I received a sensible reply. Thanks!

This is all I can see for the settings, JRMC and XLD:

Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 13.20.01.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 13.18.14.png

audio system