IGNORED

How many shows can audio support?

With the announcement that the THE Show in Newport will move to September and that there will be a second major audio show in the Los Angeles (LAX) area in June (?). Can the various participants afford the cost of "Show Creep"?

An incomplete list:

Washington DC

New York

Chicago

Denver

California: San Francisco, Anaheim, LA

Canada

Germany (Muechen)

Asia

It is expensive for vendors to attend these show. I don't know if the sales associated with the shows justifies the expense.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

I don't know about the expense, but at the RMAF this past weekend more often than not I was squeeezzzing into rooms - and 3 elevators were defiantly not enough. Anyone with claustrophobia disorder would have had to be heavily medicated. Subjectively, the attendance/audience seems to be there.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

I don't know about the expense, but at the RMAF this past weekend more often than not I was squeeezzzing into rooms - and 3 elevators were defiantly not enough. Anyone with claustrophobia disorder would have had to be heavily medicated. Subjectively, the attendance/audience seems to be there.

Yes, elevators have always been a problem at RAMF. Next year should be better. Hope hope!

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

We must have been at different shows. It didn't seem crowded at all. I was there from 9:00 AM Friday until closing at 4:00 PM Sunday and watched Chris walk away from the show. As an example Andrew Jones and I were the only people in the ELAC room when I visited it. Great for me of course because I had questions for him.

We must have been at different shows. It didn't seem crowded at all. I was there from 9:00 AM Friday until closing at 4:00 PM Sunday and watched Chris walk away from the show. As an example Andrew Jones and I were the only people in the ELAC room when I visited it. Great for me of course because I had questions for him.

Ah shucks - I had to "wait my turn" for quite a while before I could even get into the room. I was seriously considering asking for Andrew's autograph but the crowd would not allow it. :) I was there Fri/Sat during prime time (from about 11 til 5) because this trip was also a "visit family" excursion thus I could not devote myself like I would have liked.

I attended the "truth in advertising" seminar Chris was a part of. It was good wide ranging discussion, though I don't know that much more about how audio advertising than I did before....

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Ah shucks - I had to "wait my turn" for quite a while before I could even get into the room. I was seriously considering asking for Andrew's autograph but the crowd would not allow it. :) I was there Fri/Sat during prime time (from about 11 til 5) because this trip was also a "visit family" excursion thus I could not devote myself like I would have liked.

I attended the "truth in advertising" seminar Chris was a part of. It was good wide ranging discussion, though I don't know that much more about how audio advertising than I did before....

Ask for an autograph really? I encountered a couple of well-known people in Denver that weekend but nobody in the greater scheme of things at RMAF.

Compared to what is on the Golf Channel every day audio advertising is pretty tame. Misinformation is generally conveyed face to face.

Based on my experience with RMAF, the apparent level of interest in high-end audio on the Internet (plenty of forum participation and plenty of D2C vendors) and my own frustration with the general lack of brick and mortar establishments catering to 2ch audio, I can see the US easily supporting three regional 'consumer' shows per year.

However, if they're not coordinated somehow (particularly with regards to dates, but also venue layout) then show-fatigue will set in very quickly for many vendors (especially the small guys). Based on my experience with both working and attending trade-shows (albeit not 'audiophile' shows, but 'technical' shows nonetheless), you really want each show to be as similar as possible so you can have one plan and design for what you have to ship, not ship, setup and teardown (hardware, marketing materials, people, etc.) minimizing any required modifications from show to show.

I still think that these high-end audio shows need to have an industry/ press day or two prior to opening to the general public. Having paid my money and walking into a room where the vendor is in a panic because king-maker Darko (or whomever) is supposed to amble in at any moment isn't a great experience. An industry/press day could also take the requirement for a very expensive CES show off the calendar for the vendors. I may be missing some of the a la carte items, but demo rooms at RMAF seem to be less than a third of what a basic suite in the Venetian cost this year at CES.

• 10 months later...
On 10/10/2016 at 9:59 AM, NOMBEDES said:

With the announcement that the THE Show in Newport will move to September and that there will be a second major audio show in the Los Angeles (LAX) area in June (?). Can the various participants afford the cost of "Show Creep"?

There's one less audio show this year after today's announcement that The Show Anaheim has been canceled, just a couple of weeks before it was to open.

Moving the show to Anaheim and scheduling it to open just before the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in early October didn't work out.  Time will tell whether it returns in 2018 (as the announcement suggests) or not.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017/09/07/t-h-e-show-that-wasnt-anaheim-cancelled-until-2018/

https://www.stereophile.com/content/show-anaheim-postponed-2018

2 minutes ago, NOMBEDES said:

Newport Beach (adjacent) was a nice area, Anaheim, not so much. The organizers have to rethink the schedule AND the location.

Choosing between attending a show in Denver or Anaheim in the next few weeks?  

Hmm, which will most people select? :)