IGNORED

Rock Energy at Its Best!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2020 at 12:03 AM, fas42 said:

Every time I see people with overdone tattoos, I'm reminded of the dreggy, total loser kids at the back of the classroom at school, who used to scribble all over their arms with biros, as a way of "entertaining themselves" ... 😜.

Do you think he's overdone his tattoos.? 9_9

28 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Do you think he's overdone his tattoos.? 9_9

Can you see him at 85?   😭

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

5 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

But I think he may not give a ...

None of us did at his age.

But we live and learn.  LOL

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

6 minutes ago, Sal1950 said:

None of us did at his age.

But we live and learn.  LOL

Would never make a tattoo myself (although I think a single, beautiful tattoo can be cool) because of the risk of waking up one morning and realizing - I don't like it anymore. That's always been my attitude in this regard, didn't have to learn the lesson here. What about you?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
2 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

From what according to The Rolling Stone is the best metal album of 2022.

Associations with Bad Brains are unavoidable.. Not bad IMO!

As good an example as any of why I have absolutely zero interest in nearly all "popular" music coming out these days - as an alternative, equivalent pleasure I could stand next to a brick wall, and bang my head against it for 5 minutes ... :).

23 minutes ago, fas42 said:

As good an example as any of why I have absolutely zero interest in nearly all "popular" music coming out these days - as an alternative, equivalent pleasure I could stand next to a brick wall, and bang my head against it for 5 minutes ... :).

You ever listen to metal, hard-core etc.?

8 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

You ever listen to metal, hard-core etc.?

Most of the music I come across, by accident, of this genre, in current form, I find downright boring - there is absolutely nothing interesting going on. Hence the reference to the brick wall, :).

Energy comes from inner vitality of the music - just being hammered by constant 'loudness' is a big turn off; there has to be a spark in there ... somewhere ...

@fas42 So you are like someone who doesn't listen to eg jazz and hears Trane's 'Love Supreme' or worse eg Brotzmann's 'Machine Gun'..  Both are regarded as extremely important albums but for someone who is not into jazz they are simply worthless junk (and that's ok - degustibus etc)..😎

I could be like someone who posted,

I find opera vocals quite unbearable too (I quite like some instrumental opera recordings though eg Wagner - The 'Ring without Words' issued by Telarc ). I guess I find operatic singing unnatural and tiresome just like heavy metal growling which I can't accept either.

:P

1 minute ago, sphinxsix said:

You won't find any of these basic chords (that BTW guitarists-beginners learn usually on their first guitar lesson) in the above Soul Glo piece, things are a bit more complicated here.. 

Yes, once you get over the zero dynamic range in the piece, then it might have some impact ...

8 minutes ago, fas42 said:

there needs to be light and shade ...

The first band I'm thinking about here are Pixies who based most of their compositions on the loud-quiet-loud scheme and btw were the authors of the most famous Nirvana riff, K. Cobain admitted it...

But also in their case the boogie-woogie harmonies are a long forgotten (hi)story. The music moves forward.. The times they are a'changing.. my friend :-) 

Yes, music always changes ... and needs to - but is that relevant to, "rock energy at its best!"? If I'm scratching my head during the song, wondering what on earth they're trying to achieve, then it hasn't succeeded in conveying, "energy" ...

The clue here is the word "rock" - as usual, its origins are to do with that activity - so something of that sense has to be in the picture, to my mind.