IGNORED

Configuring Foobar to use HQPlayer

I saw someone provided steps to play from Foobar to HQplayer using a ramdisk.

I have read many people drag and drop from other players into HQPlayer, and that doesn't sound like something i would like to do. Muso looks interesting and may be my next effort if foobar won't do what i want.., but since I am already a little familiar with foobar gui, I was wondering if there is a way to make foobar play to hqplayer without having to drag and drop or setup a ramdisk.

Is it possible to have both players running and make foobar play using hqplayer without too much difficulty?

Please share your experience? And if you know it will work, if you would provide step-by-step instructions, i will quit my software rant so you all can have peace. (grin).

The solution Stream to HQPlayer Desktop from foobar2000 is based on foo_upnp and that component doesn't support DSD streaming. The solution is based on http streaming to HQPlayer Desktop and that further restricts what could be used instead of foo_upnp. Maybe some external SW.

The other solution HQplayer the friendly way (and stream Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify...) supports playing DSF files without format conversion to PCM, but it doesn't send http stream to HQPlayer Desktop. It requires HQPlayer Embedded and that one isn't covered in HQPlayer Desktop license.

I don't know if it could be possible to combine these two. It seems the HQplayer the friendly way (and stream Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify...) solution uses Minimserver's ability to stream DSD content in the form of DoP in WAV container. I don't know if Minimserver is able to output "what's currently played" as http stream and if yes, if such stream supports DSD content and if HQPlayer Desktop would recognize it.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

My other solution Send foobar2000 playlist to HQPlayer

supports DSF and DFF playback without conversion to PCM, but it is harder to configure.

I saw someone provided steps to play from Foobar to HQplayer using a ramdisk.

RAM disk is used in that solution intentionally, see my PDF guide. I want to apply headphone crossfeed DSP on PCM content. HQPlayer doesn't support such a thing. My solution supports to use any foobar2000 compatible DSP or standard VST plugin. Further I want to be able to play any audio file format foobar2000 supports, not only those supported by HQPlayer. In both cases the original audio file has to be processed/converted and RAM disk is used as temporary place to store the DSP processing and/or format conversion result.

Another reason for RAM disk is sound quality. On my system and for my ears playing from Softperfect RAM disk brings better sound than playing from HDD. It's about computer noise transferred through USB cable wiring and spreading into analog parts of DAC. The level of improvement via RAM disk depends on the whole audio chain, so I cannot speak for others. It is also not the same if one compares RAM disk with USB, SATA or SDD disk. More forum members reported audible differences between different RAM disk implementations ...

I am using single computer and on my system the playlist/RAM disk solution sounds clearly better for my ears. The drawback of the streaming solution on a single computer system is influence of additional format transcoding during playback. I observed worse sound quality and I have no other explanation than it is caused by noise originating from that additional processing. I recommend to use Foobar2000 on other computer than HQPlayer in the case of the streaming solution, especially if DAC is connected directly (without NAA) to HQPlayer computer.

Two computer system can be used also with my 'foobar2000 playlist to HQPlayer' solution, when RAM disk of HQPlayer computer is mounted to foobar2000 computer. I didn't try that, but it should work.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
My other solution Send foobar2000 playlist to HQPlayer

supports DSF and DFF playback without conversion to PCM, but it is harder to configure.

RAM disk is used in that solution intentionally, see my PDF guide. I want to apply headphone crossfeed DSP on PCM content. HQPlayer doesn't support such a thing. My solution supports to use any foobar2000 compatible DSP or standard VST plugin. Further I want to be able to play any audio file format foobar2000 supports, not only those supported by HQPlayer. In both cases the original audio file has to be processed/converted and RAM disk is used as temporary place to store the DSP processing and/or format conversion result.

Another reason for RAM disk is sound quality. On my system and for my ears playing from Softperfect RAM disk brings better sound than playing from HDD. It's about computer noise transferred through USB cable wiring and spreading into analog parts of DAC. The level of improvement via RAM disk depends on the whole audio chain, so I cannot speak for others. It is also not the same if one compares RAM disk with USB, SATA or SDD disk. More forum members reported audible differences between different RAM disk implementations ...

I am using single computer and on my system the playlist/RAM disk solution sounds clearly better for my ears. The drawback of the streaming solution on a single computer system is influence of additional format transcoding during playback. I observed worse sound quality and I have no other explanation than it is caused by noise originating from that additional processing. I recommend to use Foobar2000 on other computer than HQPlayer in the case of the streaming solution, especially if DAC is connected directly (without NAA) to HQPlayer computer.

Two computer system can be used also with my 'foobar2000 playlist to HQPlayer' solution, when RAM disk of HQPlayer computer is mounted to foobar2000 computer. I didn't try that, but it should work.

thanks for the info..

reading between the lines (i am add), can you tell me simply...(i think this is what you are saying) it is NOT possible for foobar to play to hqplayer without ramdisk, conversion, and without recommended 2 computer configuration? Is it at all possible to use one computer and play from foobar to HQplayer and support native dsd?

I do know (from actual experience) that i can use minimserver and upplay to play native dsd material....i don't know if that helps answer the question though or not inre your reference to minimserver.

thanks for the info..

reading between the lines (i am add), can you tell me simply...(i think this is what you are saying) it is NOT possible for foobar to play to hqplayer without ramdisk, conversion, and without recommended 2 computer configuration?

The foo_upnp solution does not use RAM disk and works on one computer configuration too. Maybe with other streaming SW than foo_upnp format transcoding could be avoided.

Is it at all possible to use one computer and play from foobar to HQplayer and support native dsd?

The playlist solution does that. RAM disk is part of my solution form the reasons I described, but in principle RAM disk is not required for this type of solution. Without RAM disk it is similar as when you select an entire album or playlist in foobar2000, drag it and paste it to HQPlayer Desktop. Only that it is automated on one click.

The foo_upnp solution does not use RAM disk and works on one computer configuration too. Maybe with other streaming SW than foo_upnp format transcoding could be avoided.

The playlist solution does that. RAM disk is part of my solution form the reasons I described, but in principle RAM disk is not required for this type of solution. Without RAM disk it is similar as when you select an entire album or playlist in foobar2000, drag it and paste it to HQPlayer Desktop. Only that it is automated on one click.

Thanks i will PM you if you would respond, i would greatly appreciate it.