IGNORED

What Are the Best Sounding Speakers You've Ever Heard.?

• 1 month later...
But drum solos are awesome:)

Drum solo's never sound good. Just like bass solo's or most guitar solo's. All solo's end in wankery just to show skilled they are but they have nothing to do with music. Jazz musicians and rock metal guitarist are the worst offenders. See how good I am see oh please see and listen how skilled I am how many notes I can cram in a few seconds of play or how good I play this 3/17 timing.

Anyone that plays a solo that lasts over 30 seconds should stop playing and just masturbate in front of a mirror. Since they apparently love themselves so much.

Mbl

[attach=config]29776[/attach]

Please no. MBL sounds acceptable these days and the older models were just bad. MBL just like Avantgarde speakers fail in integrating the conventional mid/sub driver with the plastic horns (Avantgarde) or the Omni directional (MBL) drivers.

[br]

I think they have obsessed with some particular aspects of performance and neglected others; BnW is clearly blinded by their love for hard cones and domes (and even cabinets) which have their virtues, to the point of accepting a tremendous cone resonance of the midrange/midwoofer driver (802 Diamond) right where your ear is most sensitive, as you can see in the attached image.

The Harman group does produce good speakers but they have a real fixation on directivity control to the point of only producing narrow-baffle domestic speakers (even the largest Revels don't use woofers larger than 8'').

IMO&E one cannot achieve full range with a conventional direct radiating box loudspeaker using less than 4 ways.

R

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31050[/ATTACH]

A four way speaker??

Wouldn't that be a crossover nightmare? Even a relative simple 3way speaker can be difficult.

[br]

Avantgarde Acoustic DUO xD

[ATTACH]31067[/ATTACH]

Not even close to their best speakers...but the only one I've heard IRL...and I still have wet dreams about them! :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Their speakers are superb. I think every demo I ever heard of any of their models was fantastic but one that stands out was a surround sound set up utilizing the Duos for 5 channels with BAT tube amps all around and a 150" screen with a gorgeous Runco projector playing music videos from various sources and with varying examples of surround sound from simple two channel stereo to full surround 5.2. Simply awesome.

Maybe I should not say this. But I've never heard Avantgarde Acoustic speakers sound good. Maybe they have improved the last few year. I really hope so.

[br]

Well, sound preferences are very subjective! Horns may just no be "your thing". I listened to them about a year ago powered by Leben CS-1000P...and to these ears it sounded awesome! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

My main problem was the IMHO bad integration of the sub with the horns. As far as I can remember the horns sounded okay but the woofer just went bonk bonk bonk. They and they Klipsch horn speakers were my first experience with horns. So I decided I did not like horns. That was until I heard Blumenhofer.

The same experience I've had with some PCM speakers. Where the lower end did not seem to integrate that well. Almost like there was a time delay between mids en low. The bigger more expensive PCM's sound better.

I wish I could afford the Blumenhofer FS2. So far Blumenhofer are they only horns I like. I am curious to hear the Tannoy Prestige line.

I have the same problem with MBL although they have improved.

[br]