IGNORED

What Are the Best Sounding Speakers You've Ever Heard.?

I want to argue that "speakers are the most important component"--but I won't. Linn did/does it better than I can, and I've had it demonstrated to my satisfaction.

Best speakers I've heard--2.

1. Many years ago (say 1969) I was in a hi-fi shop waiting to talk to a salesman and behind me, playing the local FM radio station, were a pair of AR 3a speakers. The voices were so natural that I kept on turning around because I though I was being approached from behind. I couldn't afford the 3a but bought a pair of 2ax instead.

2. I was auditioning my current speakers (SGR CX4F) and they played me next step up, the MT3 (currently in 3.2 mode). I couldn't afford them either.

Greg

+1 on the AR 3a speakers. Still have mine. They are 39 years old. Still in rotation.

Despite Linn's position, I think speaker/room synergy is the most important aspect of audio enjoyment. That said, the Goldmund speakers with DSP are amazing.

My prediction. In the year 2047. The majority of sound systems will be lossless steaming (multi channel) with DSP. Sorry I won't be here to enjoy it.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

• 1 month later...

Great thread, but worthless, each speaker in each room will be: a. the best, b. ok, c. suck.

I would be willing to state that a 500$ speaker in room A could sound better than a 5000$ speaker. Then move to room B, and, hey presto, you would get the opposite result.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

But will a good $500 speaker in a right room sound better than a good $5000 one in a right room (I mean rooms just right for each speaker).?

I'm not mentioning the fact that it is usually quite easy to find a $5000 speakers that will sound better than a $500 ones in the same room.

Good point. I think we all need SEVERAL listening rooms. A $500 room, a $5000 room etc.......