IGNORED

Good equipment but not a clue

I just purchased a Ayre K-5xe and its matching amp. They will be driving a pair of Focal 1008BE speakers. Would somebody please explain in elementary terms how I go about using this equipment in a computer audio set up. What connects to what and so on. I have a choice using an Imac or Macbook pro. Is there any other equipment that I need?

Thanks

I just purchased a AyreK-5xe and its matching amp. They will be driving a pair of Focal 1008BE speakers. Would somebody please explain in elementary terms how I go about using this equipment in a computer audio set up. What connects to what and so on. I have a choice using an Imac or Macbook pro. Is there any other equipment that I need?

Thanks

What cables are you using?

Hello witchdoctor. Right now I have your run of mill cables. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

So it looks like you are squared away on components. My experience is that good cables can really elevate the performance of good components. I think the most important thing is having a good power conditioner. You don't need to spend a lot of money, just make sure it comes with a 30 day audition. I have found excellent results with PLC from both Monster and Mapleshade. If you go with Monster try and get something that offers their stage 2 or higher processing. The Mapleshade is another level and will likely improve the SQ very noticeably.

Next when deciding on cables try and stay within the same brand for simplicity and synergy. Signal Cable is great value for not a lot of money, audiquest goes from lower end to $$$$, and I have found mapleshade to be very good.

When you combine power cords, interconnects and speaker cables from the same company it is called a "loom". You don't need to buy them all at once, add a few at a time as budget allows. Let me know if you have questions. Just make sure you have a 30 day audition with whatever you try.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0302/clearview.htm

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0502/clearview.htm

http://www.stereotimes.com/acc020204.shtml

What software will you be using to play music? Both the computers you mentioned are Apple, so I assume you are familiar with iTunes?

Paul

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

Hello witchdoctor. Right now I have your run of mill cables. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Ayre recommends Cardas. Personally, I don't care for the combo. If you want something that sounds great and don't want to spend a lot of money, look for some good used Audioquest Jaguar or Columbia interconnects. The Columbia is a newer cable, but its almost exactly the same as the Jaguar. For speaker cables, stay with newer copper Audioquest. Anything with the DBS system should work fine. You can biwire, but I don't think its mandatory with your speakers. For myself, I have 2 Ayre V-5's and I used to have your K-5 preamp for quite a while. I've used all these cables on the same gear you have, so you shouldn't have any issues.

Yesterday I was listing to some DACs at a shop in Amsterdam. We used a Aurender as source. I can highly recommend them. Maybe using a Ayre DAC. Or if you want it simpler Lumin sells really good streamers with an inbuild DAC.

Maybe buy the cheapest Lumin, and just enjoy the music. You can always upgrade later. But since you just bought some nice equipment I personally would not over complicate things keep it simple.

[br]

What cables are you using?

That question sounds a bit premature...

Why infect the poor man with the cable-swapping virus at such an early stage?

Cables are accessories, not components.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Hi Paul,

Yes I am familiar with Itunes. I am open to suggestions for better software though.

If your music will be ripped from CDs, ITunes will be just fine to get you started. Once you have your system up and running, I'm certain the membership will be more than happy to extol the virtues of their favorite s/w players.

Based on your already having Ayre gear, I'll second the motion for the Ayre QB-9 (DSD). It would be hard to go wrong if you could pick up a used one.

You are in for a treat.

Paul

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

That question sounds a bit premature...

Why infect the poor man with the cable-swapping virus at such an early stage?

Cables are accessories, not components.

R

My bad, I just assumed he needed to plug the stuff in. What would you suggest, a magnetic field generator?

However if the OP is going to plug stuff in a PLC will both PROTECT his new equipment and potentially improve SQ.

As for the other cables why not start out out with cables that will let his components shine instead of be a drag on their performance?

Cables are neither components nor accessories- they are REQUIRED for your system to work.

Infect? Your are thinking of a PC virus, those are software related, not cable related. I recommend Webroot if you need help.

My bad, I just assumed he needed to plug the stuff in. What would you suggest, a magnetic field generator?

However if the OP is going to plug stuff in a PLC will both PROTECT his new equipment and potentially improve SQ.

As for the other cables why not start out out with cables that will let his components shine instead of be a drag on their performance?

Cables are neither components nor accessories- they are REQUIRED for your system to work.

Infect? Your are thinking of a PC virus, those are software related, not cable related. I recommend Webroot if you need help.

You are indeed correct a virus is software related. In this case software encased in wetware. Webroot won't do a thing for your problems. His run of the mill cables are fine. He has a way to connect his gear see. Asking him to buy others at or above some price point is a gross waste of resources. Even the power conditioning gear may be of little help depending upon the particulars.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Have you looked inside your electronic equipment or your speakers or your walls?

R

You are indeed correct a virus is software related. In this case software encased in wetware. Webroot won't do a thing for your problems. His run of the mill cables are fine. He has a way to connect his gear see. Asking him to buy others at or above some price point is a gross waste of resources. Even the power conditioning gear may be of little help depending upon the particulars.

Are you feeling alright today? You seem a bit on edge. If you read the OP, he is asking for advice on what cables to buy. No one is trying to push cables on him. Also, can you point out who said to buy cables above some price point? I only see solutions that are fairly reasonable.

You think Ayre and Focal makes run of the mill components? I disagree, I think those components are much better than run of the mill.

The rule of thumb is lamp cord for a boom box, run of the mill cables for run of the mill components and higher end cables for higher end components. Any one who thinks they "saved money" matching run of the mil cables with higher end components actually wasted money because they will not get the SQ they paid for.

OP, the benefit (or not) can only be determined by an audition, not reading a thread. Please try a 30 day audition and then decide. Some of the members here don't have hearing or equipment sensitive enough to tell the difference and therefore feel you must be the same way. You need to audition for yourself, simple.

As an FYI check out this review of the Ayre K-5xe and the types of cables they chose to use for the review.:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/ayre-k-5xesupmpsup-line-preamplifier-associated-equipment

Are you feeling alright today? You seem a bit on edge. If you read the OP, he is asking for advice on what cables to buy. No one is trying to push cables on him. Also, can you point out who said to buy cables above some price point? I only see solutions that are fairly reasonable.

I fail to see where he asked for cable recommendations, at least before someone asked which cables he was using...

I fail to see where he asked for cable recommendations, at least before someone asked which cables he was using...

"Would somebody please explain in elementary terms how I go about using this equipment in a computer audio set up. What connects to what and so on. I have a choice using an Imac or Macbook pro. Is there any other equipment that I need?"

He says that he doesn't know how to connect what to what, and then asks what else does he need. Also, given the fact that he just bought 2 fully balanced components, and most likely doesn't have any balanced IC's laying around, I really don't see what the big deal is. You need cables to connect the components. He's asking how to do this.

I'm sure he didn't buy those expensive units in the supermarket and the dealer might have remembered to mention balanced ICs.

He then mentioned he's using run of the mill cables.

You think Ayre and Focal makes run of the mill components? I disagree, I think those components are much better than run of the mill.

The rule of thumb is lamp cord for a boom box, run of the mill cables for run of the mill components and higher end cables for higher end components. Any one who thinks they "saved money" matching run of the mil cables with higher end components actually wasted money because they will not get the SQ they paid for.

OP, the benefit (or not) can only be determined by an audition, not reading a thread. Please try a 30 day audition and then decide. Some of the members here don't have hearing or equipment sensitive enough to tell the difference and therefore feel you must be the same way. You need to audition for yourself, simple.

As an FYI check out this review of the Ayre K-5xe and the types of cables they chose to use for the review.:

Ayre K-5xeMP line preamplifier Associated Equipment | Stereophile.com

The components aren't an issue. As Semente pointed out. He did not ask about cables. Some people told him that was a benefit. Run of the mill cables do what cables need to do. Anyone who thinks spending money on higher end cables benefited the sound has benefited from the psychology of said cables.

I definitely suggest using balanced when it is available. Monoprice balanced cables are fine for a low cost. Livewire is available at most Guitar Centers for a reasonable cost and lifetime warranty. Blue Jeans cables are not bad. More than that isn't benefiting sound quality.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.