Dreaming Jester

New Amarra 4

Rate this topic

Are you willing to share any settings, but i have not purchased any plugin's yet? My M700's sound great and being the Micro Rendu with upgrade, also LPS 1 power.

Correction - on further checking A4 has put tracks in alphabetical order, not track order, on all of my albums when using the i_Tunes scan mode to create a Local library.

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors

Audirvana 3 or JRiver MC+BubbleUPNP

I could actually work around most of the issues.

But the nasty loud noise at the start of playback happens so often that I have fear to trash my speakers... and renders the software unusable for me.

Amarra tries to start immediately after pressing the play button (and it does... even with EQ and/or upsampling enabled) which seems to be the reason for the nasty noise at the start of playback. Please, Sonic Studio, consider a second or two of pre-rendering into RAM before the actual playback starts (like Audirvana or HQPlayer).

6 minutes ago, copy_of_a said:

I could actually work around most of the issues.

But the nasty loud noise at the start of playback happens so often that I have fear to trash my speakers... and renders the software unusable for me.

Amarra tries to start immediately after pressing the play button (and it does... even with EQ and/or upsampling enabled) which seems to be the reason for the nasty noise at the start of playback. Please, Sonic Studio, consider a second or two of pre-rendering into RAM before the actual playback starts (like Audirvana or HQPlayer).

I agree, the loud sound can be nasty. 

On 6/24/2018 at 7:22 PM, DancingSea said:

I agree, the loud sound can be nasty. 

Hi DancingSea

I have to thank you for your encouragement and recommendation to try Roon.

I have eventually got round to downloading a Roon trial and was very pleasantly surprised. 

As I don’t do any up-sampling, because at least in my system and equipment I find as direct play as possible to be the most revealing and all-round best, I experienced absolutely no deterioration in sound quality using Roon, compared to Aurdivana and Amarra Luxe.

After a week I was so overjoyed with the fact that I have now found an audio player with such a superior, totally engaging and joyful library system, without the constant nagging doubt that a better sounding audio player exists, I purchased a full license.

I also later trialled HQPLayer, but as I said previously have never found any improvement up sampling in my system (but was curious), and I was very pleased to find out that I didn’t this time either, saving myself an extra £120-ish. In fact the loss of detail and clarity was very noticeable to me, and after a few days trying different set ups it often crashed anyway.

Personally I’ve had much more noticeable improvements over the years in my system trying to reduce noise from computer bits and bobs.

Just recently I refreshed my quite large and convoluted Ethernet connections, changed some equipment to Wi-Fi, removed two ethernet switches and kept my Mac mini audio player on Ethernet. 

I have an old AV receiver (unrelated to my hi-fi set up) connected to the same Ethernet switch which has always been active in standby, but when I switched off that function so that it disconnects when it’s on standby, The sound quality from my Mac Mini improved greatly, not detail wise but much less harsh. I can only surmise that The AV receiver must’ve added some detrimental noise or interference to the network, because removing its connection changed sound quality significantly for the better. But without knowing what or how to measure I don’t know.

Anyway, hopefully sonic studio will start to improve the library function of their player and App, so most of you that persist with them get better satisfaction, instead of some convoluted way you have decided to sacrifice to enjoy better sound quality in your systems.

However if there is anybody else frustratingly persisting with sonic studio who does not up-sample and also find direct play to be better in their system, there is much better library functioning audio players out there now without reduction in sound quality, at least in my experience. Trial Roon, if it sounds no different with direct play, and you prefer that anyway, the library system is an absolute joy, and the accompanying app is also fantastic.

Best wishes to everyone

2 hours ago, quark said:

Hi DancingSea

I have to thank you for your encouragement and recommendation to try Roon.

I have eventually got round to downloading a Roon trial and was very pleasantly surprised. 

As I don’t do any up-sampling, because at least in my system and equipment I find as direct play as possible to be the most revealing and all-round best, I experienced absolutely no deterioration in sound quality using Roon, compared to Aurdivana and Amarra Luxe.

After a week I was so overjoyed with the fact that I have now found an audio player with such a superior, totally engaging and joyful library system, without the constant nagging doubt that a better sounding audio player exists, I purchased a full license.

I also later trialled HQPLayer, but as I said previously have never found any improvement up sampling in my system (but was curious), and I was very pleased to find out that I didn’t this time either, saving myself an extra £120-ish. In fact the loss of detail and clarity was very noticeable to me, and after a few days trying different set ups it often crashed anyway.

Personally I’ve had much more noticeable improvements over the years in my system trying to reduce noise from computer bits and bobs.

Just recently I refreshed my quite large and convoluted Ethernet connections, changed some equipment to Wi-Fi, removed two ethernet switches and kept my Mac mini audio player on Ethernet. 

I have an old AV receiver (unrelated to my hi-fi set up) connected to the same Ethernet switch which has always been active in standby, but when I switched off that function so that it disconnects when it’s on standby, The sound quality from my Mac Mini improved greatly, not detail wise but much less harsh. I can only surmise that The AV receiver must’ve added some detrimental noise or interference to the network, because removing its connection changed sound quality significantly for the better. But without knowing what or how to measure I don’t know.

Anyway, hopefully sonic studio will start to improve the library function of their player and App, so most of you that persist with them get better satisfaction, instead of some convoluted way you have decided to sacrifice to enjoy better sound quality in your systems.

However if there is anybody else frustratingly persisting with sonic studio who does not up-sample and also find direct play to be better in their system, there is much better library functioning audio players out there now without reduction in sound quality, at least in my experience. Trial Roon, if it sounds no different with direct play, and you prefer that anyway, the library system is an absolute joy, and the accompanying app is also fantastic.

Best wishes to everyone

Aloha Quark,

I’m happy Roon is working for you. It’s library management system is in a different league. The other players do not have the resources to compete with Roon at that library level. 

Roon itself can upsample as well. It’s part of the dsp settings, along with headroom management and the eq.  

Happy Trails!

Hi All!, in my opinion both A+ and Amarra manipulate the sound behind the scene to make it sound "better", so if you think you're getting the "purest sound" through those audio players you should look elsewhere, they both sweeten (and deteriorates) the sound in one way or another...

On 6/23/2018 at 1:28 AM, DancingSea said:

I find A4L has a pleasing tone, but less detail and a bit smaller soundstage than Roon/HQPLAYER. 

I’ve yet to be able to stomach A+ despite buying far too many plugins and adjusting every setting imaginable. 

@DancingSea you couldn't be more right, that's exactly what I found on Amarra: tube-like sound, warmth tone and full bodied sound but less detail, no crispy highs, a bit less soundstage.

As for A+, it sits on the other side of the fence: it has crispy highs but lacks body and warmth, a bit bright and thin sound but more soundstage. This can be improved by using a EQ plugin like Apple AUGraphicEQ or FabFilter Pro-Q 2

I will give Roon a try...

Kind Regards,

MosfetMist.

I'm now testing Tidal app + Audio HIjack + FabFilter Pro-Q 2, it sounds good to me, more detail than Amarra and crispy highs, I yet need to listen longer to draw a final conclusion,

Kind Regards,

MosfetMist.

Hi I use A+ and I'll search out these two EQ's but could you give me some starting settings for the, I also use the Micro Rendu my DAC it the Stellar Gain Cell also my power amps re the M700 mono blocks from PS Audio. Thanks

6 hours ago, MosfetMist said:

I'm now testing Tidal app + Audio HIjack + FabFilter Pro-Q 2, it sounds good to me, more detail than Amarra and crispy highs, I yet need to listen longer to draw a final conclusion,

Kind Regards,

MosfetMist.

Hi MosfetMist,

I have also FabFilter Pro-Q 2 and I'am curious how you can get the Amarra sound with it.

And does anyone know how to connect the FabFilter Pro-Q 2 plugin and the Dirac plugin to Roon?

Thanks in advance!

Frans

1 hour ago, Jamesroy said:

Hi I use A+ and I'll search out these two EQ's but could you give me some starting settings for the, I also use the Micro Rendu my DAC it the Stellar Gain Cell also my power amps re the M700 mono blocks from PS Audio. Thanks

Hi @JamesroyApple AUGraphicEQ is free and it comes with MacOSX whereas FabFilter Pro-Q 2 costs $179 (you can try it for free for one month), there many others paid plugins Blue Cat comes to mind.

I recommend you try AUGraphicEQ first, to use it in A+ go to Preferences->Audio Units then select from the list: Apple AUGraphicEQ, as you will see there are many others plugins you can use (in A+ up to 4 at the same time), check "Use AudioUnits effects" and "Real time AudioUnits control and setup" so you can see and hear while tweaking the bands, then click "configure" and you'll see the EQ, you can choose to use 10-Band or 31-Band EQ as needed. Tweak with the EQ's bands gently until you find a pleasant sound, this is the easiest way to EQ in A+:

Config.thumb.png.0a46af2bc9d76b05f32b0064516a34f8.png

This is what AUGraphicEQ looks like in A+

AUEQ.thumb.png.1eaa90f1a437b63bc65a7a97a4695b17.png

And this is FabFilter also in A+

FAB.thumb.png.bcc487ac63ebfb15f40fa6cb3a5268cc.png

The FabFilter Pro-Q 2 is more complex to use, you need to know what you're doing, it is a parametric EQ with many options and settings.

1 hour ago, Frans said:

Hi MosfetMist,

I have also FabFilter Pro-Q 2 and I'am curious how you can get the Amarra sound with it.

And does anyone know how to connect the FabFilter Pro-Q 2 plugin and the Dirac plugin to Roon?

Thanks in advance!

Frans

Hi @Frans, in Amarra you can't use Audio Units directly as in A+, you need to capture the audio output with applications like Audio HiJack (paid) or SoundFlower (free) (don't know if the latter stills exists though), this way you can EQ Amarra externally with any plugin including FabFilter Pro-Q 2.

This is how you can capture Amarra's output with Audio HiJack applying FabFilter Pro-Q 2, you can use it with Roon as well:

HiJack.thumb.png.a182c679ad5f7d3aa41137bfd50d3693.png

Don't know anything about Dirac, sorry.

Hope it helps.

Kind Regards,

MosfetMist.

On 6/22/2018 at 7:28 PM, DancingSea said:

I’ve yet to be able to stomach A+ despite buying far too many plugins and adjusting every setting imaginable. 

I'm surprised Tube Saturator Vintage didn't help. I use it to great effect with A+ for those times when I want it to sound more like Amarra. 

To get close to Amarra's sound using A+, you just need to raise a bit the 100hz and 300hz/400hz bands as you can see in the pictures above, this will give A+ a warmer sound and body.

Kind Regards,

MosfetMist.

38 minutes ago, MosfetMist said:

Hi @JamesroyApple AUGraphicEQ is free and it comes with MacOSX whereas FabFilter Pro-Q 2 costs $179 (you can try it for free for one month), there many others paid plugins Blue Cat comes to mind.

I recommend you try AUGraphicEQ first, to use it in A+ go to Preferences->Audio Units then select from the list: Apple AUGraphicEQ, as you will see there are many others plugins you can use (in A+ up to 4 at the same time), check "Use AudioUnits effects" and "Real time AudioUnits control and setup" so you can see and hear while tweaking the bands, then click "configure" and you'll see the EQ, you can choose to use 10-Band or 31-Band EQ as needed. Tweak with the EQ's bands gently until you find a pleasant sound, this is the easiest way to EQ in A+:

Config.thumb.png.0a46af2bc9d76b05f32b0064516a34f8.png

This is what AUGraphicEQ looks like in A+

AUEQ.thumb.png.1eaa90f1a437b63bc65a7a97a4695b17.png

And this is FabFilter also in A+

FAB.thumb.png.bcc487ac63ebfb15f40fa6cb3a5268cc.png

The FabFilter Pro-Q 2 is more complex to use, you need to know what you're doing, it is a parametric EQ with many options and settings.

Hi @Frans, in Amarra you can't use Audio Units directly as in A+, you need to capture the audio output with applications like Audio HiJack (paid) or SoundFlower (free) (don't know if the latter stills exists though), this way you can EQ Amarra externally with any plugin including FabFilter Pro-Q 2.

This is how you can capture Amarra's output with Audio HiJack applying FabFilter Pro-Q 2, you can use it with Roon as well:

HiJack.thumb.png.a182c679ad5f7d3aa41137bfd50d3693.png

Don't know anything about Dirac, sorry.

Hope it helps.

Kind Regards,

MosfetMist.

Hi MosfetMist,

Thank you for your quick reply, but I already know this solution with Amarra and Audio HiJack. I use this combination with bad recordings.

But Did you (ore somebody else) know how to connect it with Roon when you have Roon Server on one and Roon Bridge on another MacMini?

Thanks in advance!

frans

6 hours ago, Melvin said:

I'm surprised Tube Saturator Vintage didn't help. I use it to great effect with A+ for those times when I want it to sound more like Amarra. 

It helps some, I have it as well as its $80 current version.  A+ just feels too bright to me, no matter what I do.... and I've done quite a bit...

On 6/27/2018 at 9:11 AM, MosfetMist said:

what I found on Amarra: tube-like sound, warmth tone and full bodied sound but less detail, no crispy highs, a bit less soundstage.

As much as I am angry about the sloppy, slow and somehow amateurish work of Sonic Studio regarding Amarra as a Software package (audio player with library management) as much I do like this very special sound of Amarra.

I disagree (a bit) regarding soundstage. Overall the soundstage might appear somewhat smaller compared to Audirvana for instance. But Amarras meaty, rich bass is not only "more" bass that you can dial in with an EQ. It seems the bass in Amarra has somehow more "space" (and in fact I would say at the low end Amarra is the player with the deepest and widest soundstage). The bass also doesn't sound the least restricted ... it has more "Air" to move around ... You can achieve a similar tonality with EQs in A+, JRiver etc. (or through convolution in HQPlayer)... but you'll never really match this realaxed, rich and spatial bass Amarra provides.

IMHO...

On 6/22/2018 at 9:54 PM, ThunderMac said:
On 6/18/2018 at 11:18 AM, copy_of_a said:

After quitting and restarting the app Amarra shows 0 albums and 0 artists ... although all tracks (~16k) are present under "track"-view. A rescan of the library fixes the issue... once.

I have same problem, since I upgrade to beta version 4.2.427. I deleted beta version and install again last official version 4.2.427-184 from amarra website, but no success, even if I “don't touch” the browser mode. Every time I close amarra app and open it again I have to rescan library and this mean it’s impossible to listen amarra. Is there any solution, please….

Workaround:

- delete all songs and re-import your library.

- before launching Browser Mode click on the "settings" tab (the settings tab is not important, but it's essentail that you are neither in "My Albums", nor in "My Artists" view)

- this seems to be the most important: before quitting the Browser and the Amarra App make sure that you are again not in "My Albums", nor in "My Artists" view (select the "Settings" tab before quitting).

- when quitting: first quit the Browser. In Amarra App press cmd+S (or save through the menu). Quit.

Works for me.

There seems to be an issue with two applications accessing the Library-xml at the same time...and when the Browser tries to load the Album- or Artist-list that is already open in in the actual Amarra App. Maybe an Java-Script issue... I don't know. However, the workaround above works repeatedly and reliable ... by now ...

14 hours ago, copy_of_a said:

As much as I am angry about the sloppy, slow and somehow amateurish work of Sonic Studio regarding Amarra as a Software package (audio player with library management) as much I do like this very special sound of Amarra.

I disagree (a bit) regarding soundstage. Overall the soundstage might appear somewhat smaller compared to Audirvana for instance. But Amarras meaty, rich bass is not only "more" bass that you can dial in with an EQ. It seems the bass in Amarra has somehow more "space" (and in fact I would say at the low end Amarra is the player with the deepest and widest soundstage). The bass also doesn't sound the least restricted ... it has more "Air" to move around ... You can achieve a similar tonality with EQs in A+, JRiver etc. (or through convolution in HQPlayer)... but you'll never really match this realaxed, rich and spatial bass Amarra provides.

IMHO...

Do you have any A_ EQ settings you can share? Thanks

Just upgraded to Luxe as it was on special. Overall I'm pleased but have a quick question regarding the Upsampling function.

If you select Upsampling, Amarra sends Max supported rate to the DAC. Its basically Off or Max, in my case 176.4 Khz. Is there any where that you can select another Upsample rate, for example, 96 Khz.

MacMini 8Gb OSX > Pure Music / Bitperfect / Amarra / iTunes > Synology DS215J NAS > Schiit Wyrd > Stello U3 > Naim Uniti Atom, Harbeth P3ESR. Meier Corda Arietta Headphone Amp > Sennhieser HD650 Phones (Cardas rewire). Isol-8 Powerline Axis. Isotek GII Orion Power Conditioner. Cardas Clear USB Cable. Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable. All other cables by Mark Grant.

Vinyl still has it's place. Technics SL1200. Modified with Mike New Bearing, KAB Strobe Disable, MCRU 2 box PSU, Isonoe Feet, SME M2-9 Tonearm > Goldring 2400 >Rothwell Simplex Phonostage.

3 hours ago, Raym87 said:

If you select Upsampling, Amarra sends Max supported rate to the DAC. Its basically Off or Max, in my case 176.4 Khz. Is there any where that you can select another Upsample rate, for example, 96 Khz.

Not quite right. Upsampling is by power of 2 and max. output rate of Amarra is 192kHz.

So 44.1Khz and 88.2kHz sources get upsamled to 176.4kHz, 48Khz and 96kHz sources get upsamled to 192kHz.

No setting to select a dedicated rate.

I have been having issues playing Tidal with the latest 4.2.427-184  in 2 different Macs.

Songs just keep loading forever and there is no sound at all.

Then the app seems to hang...... and it becomes non responsive.

I emailed Amarra yesterday. Still waiting.

Any thoughts?

Thanks