Dreaming Jester

New Amarra 4

Rate this topic

27 minutes ago, Jamesroy said:

Thanks but I don't know if AL4 is comparable with Micro Rendu?

I'm fairly sure it is not....

11 hours ago, ddalmas said:

does anybody experimented problems with A4 installlation?<snip>

I've had no issues with the latest releases, they've been more stable and useful than ever before, and still with the great Amarra sound. I'm currently using 4.2.404 on MacOS 10.13.4

Spent some time this afternoon with the Direct Stream Junior and A4L.  Sounds amazing.

Its an interesting experience and speaks to the power of a superior DAC.  Before the DSJ, Roon by itself was not so great, just ok.  A4L, which I've always liked the sound of, was better.  Neither measured up to Roon with HQPlayer which was the clear leader.

Now on the DSJ, they all sound great.  Everything gets upsampled to 30 bit DSD 1280.  There are differences, but they are far more subtle.  I give Amarra the edge on organic tone, with Roon/ HQP very close with a bit more detail and a slightly bigger soundstage.  Even Roon by itself sounds super.

I think in a blind test, my ears would not be golden enough to determine which was which.

All of which leads to me to conclude that these software players are no substitute for a high quality DAC.   Which seems obvious enough, but this home trial of the DSJ has made the point more clear for me.

So with my setup Stellar DAC which would you recommend HQPlayer or Amara. Both without ROON but I don't know if Micro Rendu is compatible with either.

13 minutes ago, Jamesroy said:

So with my setup Stellar DAC which would you recommend HQPlayer or Amara. Both without ROON but I don't know if Micro Rendu is compatible with either.

Both HQPlayer and Roon work with your microrendu.  For you, I highly recommend not using HQPlayer without Roon.  The HQPlayer GUI is terrible and will be particularly vexing for you. 

You can try Amarra. But given you just bought the microrendu, why not just stay with Audirvana?  It works well, and you know how to work it. 

HQPlayer is not for the technologicaly challenged ?

Allen has become a good friend to me and I don't mean this next comment as offensive. You and Allen are constantly trying hard to shame me, but thats your stuff not mine. I thank you for all your help. I ask many people for help and now I'm helping Allen with Great DVD guitar tutorials that I'm starting to give him. We have had a few nice talks by phone. I don't find any complaints with A+, after a guy shared some filter change. My first hookup to the MR with default A_ setting was bad. I almost gave up until a CA post came thru. And I'm always looking ahead, not in new hardware, I'm  out of cash. Got to get a few graphic design freelance jobs.

Hi All

I downloaded a trial version of Amarra 4 Lux to try out its internal MQA decoding.  I use a Windows machine.

Well guess what - it does'nt work - it still is 44.1/16.   Hopeless.   My gut feeling is in the fine print somewhere it says - only works for Apple machines now.  Does anyone know if that's true or am I doing something stupid?

BTW I have HQ Player - pretty good but I think A4 may have the edge - slightly less aggressive and more  natural for me.  But anyway its not so great to entice me to get it until it does internal Tidal MQA decoding.   They will probably say - coming soon or something like that.   Yea - right - Roon has been saying thst for over a year and just keeps saying - getting close now.   Its so annoying.  

If someone here can confirm it really is coming soon then I will get it now as normal Tidal does sound better through it.  Otherwise I wont be paying for vaporware.

Thankd

Bill

8 minutes ago, bhobba said:

Hi All

I downloaded a trial version of Amarra 4 Lux to try out its internal MQA decoding.  I use a Windows machine.

Well guess what - it does'nt work - it still is 44.1/16.   Hopeless.   My gut feeling is in the fine print somewhere it says - only works for Apple machines now.  Does anyone know if that's true or am I doing something stupid?

BTW I have HQ Player - pretty good but I think A4 may have the edge - slightly less aggressive and more  natural for me.  But anyway its not so great to entice me to get it until it does internal Tidal MQA decoding.   They will probably say - coming soon or something like that.   Yea - right - Roon has been saying thst for over a year and just keeps saying - getting close now.   Its so annoying.  

If someone here can confirm it really is coming soon then I will get it now as normal Tidal does sound better through it.  Otherwise I wont be paying for vaporware.

Thankd

Bill

Only Ralph from Sonic Studio would be qualified to say what new features are "coming soon".  If the past is any indication, they come when they come, and they come slowly.  We've been waiting for DSD over DoP for over a year.....

You could always play Tidal through another player, and your local files through A4L, while you wait for whatever Sonic Studio has to offer.....

6 hours ago, bhobba said:

My gut feeling is in the fine print somewhere it says - only works for Apple machines now.  Does anyone know if that's true or am I doing something stupid?

The MQA section of the A4L web page still says:

* Currently for Mac only (Windows coming soon!)

As @DancingSea notes, only Sonic Studio can define this instance of "soon".

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

49 minutes ago, left channel said:

Yup. Only get A4L if you are satisfied with it the way it is. While the upgrades from the early A4L have been coming fairly regularly recently, the longer term history says a lot of patience is needed to cope with "soon".

1 hour ago, left channel said:

Its there in the advertising fine print - and silly me was looking at the user manual.  What wonderful customer service - but then again its what you expect of a company that charges you for support - very nice people.  Rip off merchants come to mind.   But it does sound good - need to think about this - thanks for spotting it.   Looks like coming soon also means keeping the user manual and advertising blurb in sync.   You know I only tried it out of curiosity - in the past Amara was dreadfully expensive.   They fixed that - its not too bad now - but  it looks like they have other issues.

To be fair Audirvana said they will have a Windows version by years end - yea right - maybe decades end.  And Roon - what they  did - disgraceful.   They promised it in version 3, when it was released last year - we were all waiting - downloaded version 3 - not there.   It was all over the internet - coming version 3.  Their explanation, IMHO something quite unethical - we didn't say which release version 3.   That was over a year ago - still coming.  They treat customers like fools - they all seem to do it - marketing BS over substance - its the only way to do business.

Thanks

Bill

A4L 404 is much better; however, I'm getting "itunes unexpectedly quit" errors randomly in itunes integrated mode. I'm noticing multiple errors being posted to the console while Amarra is running. I'd like someone else to open up console, it's in Applications>Utility" subdirectory and see if this is common or specific to this machine. Aside from this, A4L is becoming useable again. TIA.

For the PCM fans, I just tested the A4L 4.2.404-166. It can handle a large album of music library (up to 5K albums in my Mac Mini Late 2009, 8 GB RAM). And the missing/scattering display of the VA album was resolved. Very happy. 

Yes works fine for me too. For me even tidal is working well through A4.

Only negative for me is the remote app doesn’t work properly. From memory this is something Sonic Studios is aware of so hopefully there will be an update for the app soon. (please !!!!)

Regards

Mark

When you select upsampling in Amarra 4 luxe to where you can upload files from 16-44 on a Mac (with Audirvana you can select up to 192 and do the conversion, if your DAC accepts 192 Mounts 4 luxe, it will also go up to 192, with Amarra I see that it does not you can select the upsampling bitrate...)

hi to all the member if this forum/thread

i finally stopped to do mental masturbations with someone good and someone nasty player softwares!

I finally met on my way a fantastic CocktailAudio X50D music streamer ,the top of the Cocktail audio production , and my life suddenly has changed to a better dimension!

It sound astonishing... very very better than every software/ computer combination (and this on the same DAC obviously, in this case a Dac8 Audio Research)i ever tried .No A4. A+ .Fidelia and so on!!

And the the library management!.....all the files an folders on my HDD are seen and rendered back  exactly in the same way that  i intended to want ....fidelly as it is stored on my storage Disk ,all the folders ,files ,sub/sub/ sub folders are clearly and fastly seen and played, with the great simplicity that no software ever gave to me!Well... I do not claim to the miracle of the century ,but  i have finally found a gear with whom music is the most important thing avoiding all the mental masturbations from you ,no stress to set any damned software that it will never do what you want it to do and so on!

it  reads any audio format ,Native DSD included, it reads ands rips CDs...the only things it does not do is ..... to cook spaghetti alla bolognese :D:D !

It is also attached to Roon world

This means that simplicity is the best solution ever.

if anyone wants to try it and feedback to me his impressions i will be very glad with that.

I know that X50D is very expensive , but Cocktail audio have in its catalog many models for many pockets and needs

Now i am satisfied listening to my Liquid music with my DAC ,that has anabsolute Sound Quality, left untouched by the aggression of any external devil's software!!

ciao ciao to every music lover

Amarra 4 luxe seems to have a problem playing gapless on iTunes integration.Has anyone else experienced this? Or have I neglected something in the settings?

Question, does someone happen to randomly hear a click when finishing a song and start another?
It only happens with Amarra, I've tried the same reproduction with Audirvana and it never happens ...

3 hours ago, 2pororom said:

Question, does someone happen to randomly hear a click when finishing a song and start another?
It only happens with Amarra, I've tried the same reproduction with Audirvana and it never happens ...

Yes.

Not really bothersome but it would be nice to have it gone.

Am onto A4L 4.2-404.  Tried the iRC again, Same problem of stereo image shifting to right speaker. Had re-done re-measurement using iRC measure App 1.2.4 and generated fresh filters. Am at wits end now regrading iRC on A4L. Has it worked for anybody in any conditions ?

Macbook pro 15\" 2.53ghz core 2 duo with Amarra, 1 TB storage, 6 GB memory -> USB locus-design nucleus cable -> EA overdrive DAC -> -> modded parasound JC1 monoblocks -> cadence ARCA loudspeakers + REL studio III

Hi friends
Anybody use IRC with Amarra 4 Luxe? I created 3 different filters. First for armchair, second for sofa and third filter only measured at one point. All of them totally kill the music scene. Musical instruments are smeared in space. Is it normal?))))))) :S

I have requested a refund of my upgrade to Amarra 4 Luxe.
For me, clicks and noise artefacts are unacceptable when I finish one song and start another. It is Amarra the culprit, with Audirvana does not happen and I have reviewed all connections and even reinstalled the operating system! (OS High Sierra)
I am within 30 days of the privacy policy. Do you know how long it takes to make the refund effective?