IGNORED

New Amarra 4

I am setting up Amarra 4 Luxe, trying the new iTunes mode. When playing a song via iTunes (with the Amarra window minimized below) there is no indication in the Amarra window that anything is playing - is this right? Also, will using iTunes mode automatically set the resolution? (24-96, etc.)

Hi,

Just tested with new version 4.2.402, about SQ

Tested track: Herbie Hancock - Cantaloupe Island

Amarra's SQ always better in browser mode with Google Chrome, a flagrant difference more natural.

I don't really know if this last version is better than 4.2.401, but it sounds nice.

And finally, comparing with HQP, in my system, HQP better than A4L, again more natural.

Regards

IMHO Amarra sounds way better than A+, why is it?, I've been using A+ for several years and in every system I set up A+ sounded bright, no matter what filter you use soX/iZotope it always has the same character to the sound, A+ relies on MacOSX sound API which is not the best sounding whereas Amarra relies on its own sound API based on their experience and it sounds right to my ears.

A+ offers a more "airy sound" but that approach brings a bright sound and fatiguing listening. On the other hand Amarra offers a warm and full-bodied/meaty sound, instruments like drums come to life, it sounds more like a real performance and it doesn't add that "tzzzzzzz" artificial sound typical in some digital players, in the end Amarra offers a totally undigital sound , and as a plus it also sports a EQ that doesn't add distortion.

A+ doesn't have any EQ's of its own to play, and even though it allows using the Apple AU units, I don't recommend using those, e. g. the Apple: AUParametricEQ adds distortion, but if plan on using A+ with EQ I highly recommend you use FabFilter: FF Pro-Q 2 as it doesn't add distortion.

What Amarra lacks it's a smooth and fast user interface but when it comes down to sound Amarra is really nice. In the end it all boils down to personal preference, use what you like the most and let your ears guide you.

Regards,

MosfetMist.

I have not had any playback issues with Amarra Luxe version 4.2.402 while in iTunes integration mode. Files have played without hiccup. Now we just need Amarra to allow for use of Playlist in iTunes integration mode for critical listening.

Music Server Operating System: 2010 Mac Mini OS X 10.9.5 (Maverick); Preferred Digital Interface(s): USB, FireWire, S/PDIF Coaxial (RCA); Digital to Analog Converter(s): Esoteric K-03; Esoteric DV50S, Bel Canto RefLink; Preamplifier: Rowland Synergy IIi, Class'e SSP-800; Amplifier(s); Rowland M312, Bryston 6BSST; Loudspeakers: Avalon Indra's, B&W Signature 805's, Kharma Ceramique Center, Kharma Ceramique Sub; Miscellaneous: Amarra 4.2, OWC Mercury Elite Pro Qx2 HDD (12TB)

Upgraded to the latest version 4.2.402-166. It is the best improvement by far.

smoother, more responsive, importing without a glitch.

In the previous versions, all songs are imported successfully but

some songs do not show up under "Album". It is fixed now.

I found a new bug: when playing back DSD files, it skips the first half second;

and still some popping noise between songs in "upsample" mode.

iPad remote is still problematic.

I would suggest:

1. to add "Genre" on the left column. It is very useful.

2. multi-select songs/albums so I can quickly put them in my "playlists".

The sound quality is just amazing! Good job!

On 3/18/2018 at 5:44 AM, ddalmas said:

I have experimented crashes of iTunes when A4 plays in iTunes integration mode  and also random jumps in playing songs....does anybody had this faults?

thks for your feedback and replies

ciaociao

Same here. It's improving but certainly not as fast as one would like. I do not really think that it meets the minimum standards to be considered a beta, let alone, commercial. Why can't Sonic Solutions get their product right before release? Hell, just about every other software developer, small or large, seems to do it. I can understand occasional bugs, but SS has a long history of continuing problems. Outside of the audiophile world, consistent and repeated software problems usually doom the developer.  Frustratingly, the product sounds great when it works; however, at some point the consumer's patience reaches a limit.

On 13 mars 2018 at 10:55 PM, Otherworld74 said:

I am setting up Amarra 4 Luxe, trying the new iTunes mode. When playing a song via iTunes (with the Amarra window minimized below) there is no indication in the Amarra window that anything is playing - is this right? Also, will using iTunes mode automatically set the resolution? (24-96, etc.)

Hello,

Have you OS X Mavericks (10.9)?

Integration of iTunes with Mavericks does not work. On the other hand under Yosemite it is OK.

Regards

Amarra almost had me with recent version in iTunes mode.. As I reported the sound quality is better than 3.0, however; I was comparing 44.1K source material. Realized that with A4 Luxe 4.2.402-166 when in iTunes mode it will not play HIRez files 48K plus. Bel Canto Ref Link and DAC remain in 44.1K. So, not so much. I do have Maverick 10.9 Mac Mini Music Server, although the Amarra support documents say it supports Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 or higher. Fix this and add Playlist in iTunes mode and you have a new customer. otherwise, not so much.

Music Server Operating System: 2010 Mac Mini OS X 10.9.5 (Maverick); Preferred Digital Interface(s): USB, FireWire, S/PDIF Coaxial (RCA); Digital to Analog Converter(s): Esoteric K-03; Esoteric DV50S, Bel Canto RefLink; Preamplifier: Rowland Synergy IIi, Class'e SSP-800; Amplifier(s); Rowland M312, Bryston 6BSST; Loudspeakers: Avalon Indra's, B&W Signature 805's, Kharma Ceramique Center, Kharma Ceramique Sub; Miscellaneous: Amarra 4.2, OWC Mercury Elite Pro Qx2 HDD (12TB)

12 hours ago, tipunch said:

Hello,

Have you OS X Mavericks (10.9)?

Integration of iTunes with Mavericks does not work. On the other hand under Yosemite it is OK.

Regards

I am running OS 10.11 El Capitan - but I am still running an old version of iTunes (10.7), so that may be the problem. I was able to load my iTunes library (4.35 TB) to use A4 library mode, but since it only has album thumbnail view it takes forever to scroll through when I am looking for something to play. It also takes a long time to load each time you start A4. I know there is a search function - but sometimes I don't know what I want to listen to until I peruse my library. The option to view as a list and have folders would be nice.

On 23/03/2018 at 2:11 AM, mneveux said:

4.2.402-166 is very promising! Sound quality is excellent and library management appears to be working properly.

Agreed. Library appears to have loaded--with the exception of some artwork, and it still files "The..." under "The":(.

The sound is excellent. I think browser mode is slightly better than iTunes mode.

It may be time to upgrade my A3 to A4L.

The most current update ( MARCH 23) of Amarra Luxe is very sweet sounding with Tidal.  

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

While I'd like to have the upgrades/changes clearly delineated, I love the fact that they are happening and A4L is finally in a working state.

My library of 3K+ albums, and playback through Chrome has been working well and sounding excellent for days:). It used to crash regularly>:(.

I have recently joined the DSD camp, thanks to @DancingSea.  I used Amarra SQ+ for 2 years, then tried A4L as my Tidal streamer, but got frustrated with it. Now I’m using Roon & HQPlayer converting Tidal to DSD256. Fantastic sound!  This industry moves fast due to advances in technology, and although SQ+ served me well for 2 years, A4L caused me to explore other options when @DancingSea suggested alternatives. Next year, who knows? - things change quickly. 

1 hour ago, DancingSea said:

For me, there needs to be DSD over DoP and DSD upsampling before I get too excited. 

All the other major major players have had these features for a very long time. 

Agreed! - Once Sonic eventually implements the DSD features, I may then move over to A4 Luxe from Audirvana Plus but until then... 

21 hours ago, DancingSea said:

For me, there needs to be DSD over DoP and DSD upsampling before I get too excited. 

All the other major major players have had these features for a very long time. 

Excuse my lack of knowledge on some of the otherr playets but do any of the players that support DSD over DoP and DSD upsampling also provide itunes intergration ?

Regards

Mark