IGNORED

New Amarra 4

10 hours ago, ThunderMac said:

After year of using audirvana I want to upgrade to latest amarra 4.3.473  (on Yosemite 10.10.5) to see what’s new there, but after upgrading and launching I get a massage “Amarra Luxe cannot be opened because of a problem. Check with the developer to make sure Amarra Luxe works with this version of OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and OS X. Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple.”

I uninstall and reinstall amarra few times but no success. What else can I do? 

Since Mojave is 10.14 I wouldn't be surprised that the latest Amarra doesn't work with 10.10.  While it does have bugs Amarra is usable. I'd be checking with Sonic Studio what the appropriate version is for that system.

5 hours ago, DancingSea said:

<snips>After using Roon, which functions in a flawless and dynamic fashion (albeit way too expensive),

"Too expensive" is also personal.?

While I am happy with many of my "too expensive" *things*, I haven't tried Roon. Maybe I'll give it a trial run.

It would have to sound much better than AL me to spend my money on it. While I hate the bugs in AL, and the lack of flexibility in the library, I really enjoy its musical presentation.

The last release version won't do iTunes mode with any regularity for me. When it does, the difference between iTunes mode and AL itself (or in browser control) has been enough to make me stop using iTunes mode--despite its convenience. (Hey, I still play LPs, despite the inconvenience.)

What I can't work out is: When you have one of the best sounding players, why can't you get the other bits to work, it has been years. I have a ebook management app-- "Calibre"--which works absolutely perfectly with over 40 000 titles, pics, metadata, sorting, format change/edit, etc. etc.!! And it's Donationware.?

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, DancingSea said:

<snip>For me, Luxe continues to work well as long as I do not use its local library, but instead use Tidal and iTunes.....

The latest version (I have 4.3.500) actually has a library that works! I find the iTunes integration to have issues--as well as inferior sound.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
12 hours ago, DancingSea said:

Interesting to see where the posse is these days.  I’m in a zone where I’ve found the best sound to be no computer.  After giving up on Amarra, spent several years with Roon and HQPlayer.  Last summer I bought a Marantz SACD 30n which plays CDs, SACDs, and data discs. It also has Tidal Connect which plays music directly from the Tidal servers.  In terms of sound quality, the combination of physical discs and Tidal Connect has proved better than any computer based rig I’ve tried. 

Hmmm, I have no interest in a new pre-amp (just bought a Simaudio MOON 740P) or in streaming, or even a new DAC. How could you tell it was just the computer? And what was the computer?

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Err. I meant I can’t get the EQ to work at all

I'm surprised at that. Mine works well but sometimes it is hard to access.:(

Some things to try:

Find the Amarra script <Clear Settings> (in the Amarra folder that gets installed) and run that.

Access the EQ when in the <Settings> window.

Access the EQ set-up from the <Window> menu pull-down. (Sometimes it takes selecting it twice to make it show up.:o)

Re-start Amarra and let it read your library again.

Clear your library and re-load it (May take a while, I do mine overnight!)

Use the <Uninstall Amarra> script and re-install. (Even more hassle.)

Try installing 4.3.510 rather than the current 4.3.546. (Just change the download address to read .510 rather that .546. This version is slower to load and read the library and has a very few more bugs than .546 (sorry, can't remember what they are) but the general consensus of the Beta test group is that it sounds superior.)

Let me know how you go.

2 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Thank you @GregWormald for your help. I will try these things today. I'm on a Mac and possibly you're on Windows so I'm not sure if that requires some different process.<snip>

I'm on a Mac so everything is OK.

We used Windows at work and I got used to software that had difficulties.:D

2 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Anyway I will go through these steps later and let you know how it worked. Thanks again

:)