IGNORED

New Amarra 4

22 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

I’ve gotten used to it. I use iTunes for library management, something it does better than any of these 3rd party apps. 

I renember the days of cd’s. Going through the drawer, loading the player, etc. A4L is much more convenient than that.  And sounds amazing. 

As I've written throughout this thread, I made peace by accepting what A4L is, and isn’t.  Now I’m relatively at peace and it remains my primary player - of which I own many. 

Yes.

With the addition that also I remember LP's, still use them, and they still sound better than digital (on my system and with my ears).

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, DancingSea said:

Thoughts on iTunes integration like A3?  Is that not going to happen with A4L?

I agree with DancingSea.

The iTunes integration would give good, complete library functions, and the issue with switching apps to play albums would be lots less than is currently required. The only way to get good library functions now is to update iTunes manually.

A4L still doesn't index properly, and takes overnight to index 3000+ albums. 

The "Playlist" function in A3 worked well, and iTunes was still the library manager.

The "Library" function in A4 has more bugs than a swamp and is virtually useless for choosing and playing music. The only thing that works (for me) is to clean it out every session and only load one night's music at a time--and even so it mis-files albums. Then I have to update iTunes manually.

I really wish it wasn't (IMO) the best sounding player.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DancingSea said:

<snip> so many are demanding iTunes integration mode....

I suspect that most of "our" issues would be solved by a Playlist mode for A4L such as A3 had. That's all I want--full integration isn't necessary as it would probably deteriorate the great sound.

Give me that and I'll even upgrade my A3 instead of using A4L unregistered.B|

I think it is important for us to remember two things:

1. Apple has $millions invested in iTunes and has spent years getting the library function both complex and functional, and looks like continuing its development in the future.

2. Amarra 4 has (for many of us) the best sound out there.

I want to play using Amarra 4 and have the functionality of the iTunes library all without undue hassle. I sincerely doubt that Amarra can duplicate the iTunes library software in any sort of economical or timely way, so letting me use iTunes for library management and then use Amarra in something like A3's Playlist mode would be great. That's what I mean by iTunes compatibility.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, ddalmas said:

Great....it could already be something more ! But everybody must remember that iTunes integration does not solve the flac to aiff/m4a conversion necessity !!! i think that's still not the right way to solve A4 library problems, even disregarding the possibility of sound degradation  using iTunes library management!!

As long as the integration works, then I can't really see how iTunes library management could affect sound quality. Of course, I could be wrong.

I already convert everything to ALAC and have more than 1TB waiting for easy access to the sound quality of Amarra 4.

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/03/2018 at 2:11 AM, mneveux said:

4.2.402-166 is very promising! Sound quality is excellent and library management appears to be working properly.

Agreed. Library appears to have loaded--with the exception of some artwork, and it still files "The..." under "The":(.

The sound is excellent. I think browser mode is slightly better than iTunes mode.

It may be time to upgrade my A3 to A4L.

While I'd like to have the upgrades/changes clearly delineated, I love the fact that they are happening and A4L is finally in a working state.

My library of 3K+ albums, and playback through Chrome has been working well and sounding excellent for days:). It used to crash regularly>:(.

11 hours ago, ddalmas said:

does anybody experimented problems with A4 installlation?<snip>

I've had no issues with the latest releases, they've been more stable and useful than ever before, and still with the great Amarra sound. I'm currently using 4.2.404 on MacOS 10.13.4

49 minutes ago, left channel said:

The MQA section of the A4L web page still says:

* Currently for Mac only (Windows coming soon!)

As @DancingSea notes, only Sonic Studio can define this instance of "soon".

Yup. Only get A4L if you are satisfied with it the way it is. While the upgrades from the early A4L have been coming fairly regularly recently, the longer term history says a lot of patience is needed to cope with "soon".

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, 2pororom said:

Question, does someone happen to randomly hear a click when finishing a song and start another?
It only happens with Amarra, I've tried the same reproduction with Audirvana and it never happens ...

Yes.

Not really bothersome but it would be nice to have it gone.

2 hours ago, twist222 said:

When I tried fairly small buffer settings I received a few clicks. I just increased the buffer settings and no more clicks. In A4L settings you can adjust the buffer size. 

Regards

Mark

Interesting, how high did you go??Were there any other changes?

I still get occasional very soft clicks--not every track--on 1024 which is the highest mentioned. I'll give 2048 and more a try.

3 hours ago, twist222 said:

I will check what buffer setting I adjusted it too on the weekend when I next fire up the stereo. 

<snip>

Did the larger buffer setting work for you ? 

Regards Mark

The 1024 is the highest 512 multiple that I have available. I usually get only one or two soft clicks per listening session, and the great sound more than compensates.

The higher, but non 512 multiples didn't sound as good. I'm using Chrome as the front end 'cause I like that sound the best.

11 hours ago, Spherical Cow said:

Have you tried Safari? Also, has anyone had problems wih itunes quitting while A4L  is running?

Safari--not with the current version. When A4L was really buggy and limited Safari had real issues that Chrome didn't.

No problems with iTunes at all.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/22/2018 at 8:13 PM, Rodolfo85 said:

Today, new version!

are you serious SS?

I, for one, am happy to see new versions arriving regularly. 

It's sure better than the previous seeming lack of development.

Like ronmad1 I now find A4 useable. I've always liked Amarra's sound.

2 hours ago, Rodolfo85 said:

<snip>I never seen so awful software developers.

there is only one reason I still use it. I paid an indecent amount of money for the room correction option. ( my mistake, I should had to buy dirac software instead)

That's rough. At least you are  getting good sound.

I started writing software in 1967 and I NEVER buy anything that won't do what I want right now. Vapourware is no good to me, and there is way too much of it out there.

12 hours ago, Rodolfo85 said:

Rough?, may be. I’m Spanish, not English. To be polite is no my best.

Sorry, by "rough" I was referring to not getting what was paid for/advertised--not your level of politeness, which was fine by me. (And your English is lots better than my Spanish!)

12 hours ago, Rodolfo85 said:

is not aceptable a software that more than a year after lunch is unfinished.

Of course you are correct. Unfortunately it is the way of the modern world to over-sell, and of software to have bugs on release. Software has always been sort of an ongoing process rather than a "product", and even cars get recalled and fixed, and the new models have new bugs! 

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Amarra_Support said:

Time to jump in here, been very busy, a couple of things to pass along.

<snip>

That's all for now, happy Saturday!

Ralph

Thanks for the update Ralph. 

I have the iTunes issue--I can send you a crash log if it will be useful.

Greg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/1/2018 at 4:11 PM, ghostdog said:

upgrade for amarra today

return of mode browser !

Thanks for that. I just downloaded it and set it going. It sounds as good as ever.

It's a shame that they don't send out the upgrade notices to all existing customers, nor have they fixed the way it makes iTunes (in iTunes mode at least) half quit and stops the music.?? 

I like the iTunes mode as it updates the play statistics and saves a lot of hassling--but at the expense of having to re-start it frequently.

I really wish they had a half-decent Mac programmer. It's been a long time since I programmed Macs but I never had the sort of issues that plague A4L. I wonder if they realise how many sales they lose because it's not reliable.

• 3 months later...