IGNORED

New Amarra 4

Q4 is almost over... Any update on Amarra 4? I really like the sound of Amarra and hope that the upgrade to Amarra 4 improves the operability of the software.

Umetaro, Tokyo, Japan

Dela(Melco)N1A/2012 i5 Mac Mini with 16GB memory - Audirvana/Pure Music/Amarra/JRMC - Devialet 800 - Wilson Audio Sasha

Drag and drop into HQPlayer!

I really liked the sound of Amarra, but preferred Fidelia's sound. Considering the price Amarra has charged with all of its bugs and weaknesses, Amarra 4 should be free to all current license holders IMO.

I am a Windows user with an unfortunate love of iTunes. Why unfortunate? Well, I also use Roon and sometimes JRiver (both feeding a microRendu) and these two both have noticeably better sound quality than Windows iTunes. The reason I like iTunes is that it just so happens to do more or less everything I want from music software, in terms of playlists and so on, plus I have more or less fully track rated about 15000 tracks. So Roon or JRiver get used for 'serious listening', when sound quality is paramount, but iTunes does get used more than it should, because personally I prefer it's functionality. I am not that familiar with Amarra, but seeing that Amarra 4 now offers a Windows version, I am wondering if this could be a way of getting decent sound quality out of iTunes? Any advice from anyone with a bit of experience of Amarra? (mindful I'm feeding a microRendu via Ethernet) I did have a quick look at their website, but I must admit this was not much help!

Also, I am a little wary of dragging this thread too far off topic, but maybe there is another alternative that would extract the ultimate sound quality from Windows / iTunes / mR? Any thoughts?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Q4 is almost over... Any update on Amarra 4? I really like the sound of Amarra and hope that the upgrade to Amarra 4 improves the operability of the software.

We are very close to releasing Amarra 4 and just working through some issues on the Windows environment to ensure the sound quality is up to our standards. We don't expect the delay to be very much longer.

If you have any other questions or need assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Sonic Studio Customer Support .:.

Sonic Studio, LLC .:. Trust the transparency

Drag and drop into HQPlayer!

I really liked the sound of Amarra, but preferred Fidelia's sound. Considering the price Amarra has charged with all of its bugs and weaknesses, Amarra 4 should be free to all current license holders IMO.

Amen. Buyer beware. Amarra has not delivered in the past (buggy interface and expensive). Why should we at this point trust its developer now?

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Thanks for the update Amarra Support?

Can I ask if the Amarra IOS APP works with Amarra 4 or just Amarra Luxe. I only ask because I really want to upgrade to Amarra 4 when released but I am paralysed from the neck down and rely heavily on using the iTunes iOS app on my iPad to create playlists when using amara symphony with IRC.

Thanks

We are very close to releasing Amarra 4 and just working through some issues on the Windows environment to ensure the sound quality is up to our standards. We don't expect the delay to be very much longer.

Has anyone seen how (or if) the Dirac IRC license from Symphony 3 will work with Amarra 4 Luxe? I ask because the IRC is listed as optional on Luxe and it doesn't state if existing IRC users will have the license transferred.

2012 MBP (OSX 10.11 and Amarra Symphony w/IRC)-> Revelation Dual Conduit USB -> Berkeley Alpha USB -> Verastarr Silver Signature AES -> Devialet D250-> Siltech 550L -> KEF 104/2 (Steve Nugent Custom).

Power conditioning Audience Adept AR2p -> Verastarr Grand Illusion, Siltech Explorer 270p and Crystal Cable Standard Diamond

Analog: VPI Classic 3, Sumiko Pearwood Celebration ii, Siltech 770i RCA

Has anyone seen how (or if) the Dirac IRC license from Symphony 3 will work with Amarra 4 Luxe? I ask because the IRC is listed as optional on Luxe and it doesn't state if existing IRC users will have the license transferred.

I sent an e-mail to Amarra support asking, but to date no response.

They have changed their webpage from "Coming in Q4" to "Coming soon".

This is bad, they lured me into buying Amarra 3 in order to get Amarra 4 for a rebate in Q4 2016.

I feel cheated at this point.

Software > Roon Server & HQ Player4 on Windows 2019/AO & MacMini MMK (plus Audirvana 3.5)  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > Naim NDX 2 > Naim SN2 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria >  > Harbeth SHL5 plus

When they announced Amarra 4 being released in the 4th quarter of 2016, I almost chimed in here saying "In Amarra-speak, that means first quarter of 2017 at the earliest" but I decided against weighing in with the cynicism. Sonic Studio makes some fine products but they always over promise and under deliver. Their product rollouts to Amarra customers are a never ending train wreck and have been for years.

I would say buyer beware on Amarra 4. They are nice people and I have met Jon and the team there but have been sorely disappointed in the pay per upgrade cycle. Tidal for Amarra just plain sucked, SQ was ok but really I have to pay to upgrade to the new version and I was in early on Amarra and paid $500 for it when it was $1000 and I still feel like it was not a good deal. If I buy a server at least I can sell that if I don't like it but with a $500 license for Amarra, plus what I paid for out of date software for Amarra for Tidal and SQ WTF.

I hope they get it together and knock it out of the park but I can't see myself going down that rabbit hole anytime soon for additional cost. Too bad as they really did pioneer great sounding computer software early on. I wish them the best.

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates?

Umetaro, Tokyo, Japan

Dela(Melco)N1A/2012 i5 Mac Mini with 16GB memory - Audirvana/Pure Music/Amarra/JRMC - Devialet 800 - Wilson Audio Sasha

Sonic advertised the upgrade from Amarra 3 all last fall as costing $5 bucks. You click on the link to upgrade and it's actually $25 dollars. It's freaking annoying. It's not the money (it's a small amount) but why do they have to lie about it and spring the higher price on us at the checkout page? It's typical of Sonic who seem to think they're so good they can get away with anything and their customers will just take it.

Also, the upgrade's to Amarra 4 because Amarra 4 "Luxe" is not available yet. Luxe is the version with DSD, up sampling, TIDAL, headphone processing, etc.

Amarra 4 was just released. Any first impression of the Mac version?

I just downloaded it. Mac Mini 2014 version. I let it scan my music folder and it took several minutes and now it is working. Sounds good at first glance. However, I don't see it importing my SACD ISOs. I have a few of those. Audirvana plays them fine but Amarra 4 does not import it even though it claims it did. I don't have MQA DAC and I don't stream TIDAL. I am just using it to play my own music ripped from my CDs in ALAC. I have a few high res audio as well. No crashes yet. I am using HDMI to a NAD T775HD receiver to play the music.

Do I need the Luxe version for importing DSD ISOs?

I didn't use Amarra before, not because I didn't like it but I could never get the software to work properly, and that interface ... uggghhhh!!!

But I am running the Amarra 4 trial ... the sounds is so much more "open" and detailed then the Audirvana 2.6 I have been using. I am still playing random stuff just enjoying hearing details and the clarity. And the interface works. I would like to be able to sort lists by other fields such as rate, but am happy so far.

So good job!

Does the iTunes integration mode still work, or have they done away with it?

It scanned the songs on the machine into its master playlist. Honestly I have not looked too deeply into libraries etc I still use iTunes to manage the master library as I use that to feed my iPod and playback in other rooms via airplay, so I will be exploring all this in due course. I have noticed that some albums seem to have 2 copies of each song which I don't think is correct so I need to see what happened there.

What I was interested in was (a) how good was the sound (stunning, audibly better than audirvana) and was the software usable (at last yes!)

It's been almost a year since throwing in the towel and trashing the program. Now, after seeing what Sonic Studio has been up to, I just couldn't resist. I'm a sucker for that Amarra sound so I took the plunge and upgraded from Symphony w/iRC to 4.0. Fortunately it's only $10 for us Symphony owners. (God only knows what the upgrade cost from 4.0 to Luxe will be, but that's for another thread.)

Well, it looks like Sonic Studio has finally delivered the modern 64-bit program we've all hoped for. It's a complete overhaul and it seems it was worth the wait. I will have to give a good listen before weighing in on the sound quality but man, nice work Sonic Studio!