IGNORED

New Amarra 4

Q4 is almost over... Any update on Amarra 4? I really like the sound of Amarra and hope that the upgrade to Amarra 4 improves the operability of the software.

We are very close to releasing Amarra 4 and just working through some issues on the Windows environment to ensure the sound quality is up to our standards. We don't expect the delay to be very much longer.

If you have any other questions or need assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Sonic Studio Customer Support .:.

Sonic Studio, LLC .:. Trust the transparency

• 1 month later...
Downloaded the Mac trial version. The UI is way way better than any previous incarnation. Well organized, looks great, and thus far no bugs. Sounds fantastic to me, the normal great Amarra sound with a bit more detail. Has some of Audirvana's good points, while maintaining the Amarra sonic rightness.

Scanning my 30,000 track library into Amarra 4 was easy, took about a 1/2 hour. I have 2 versions of Garcia & Grisman, one AIFF from the original CD, and the other an ALAC version from a SACD that's not divided into individual tracks. For some reason, only the original CD version made it into Amarra, not sure why. 154 tracks didn't make the migration.

Before offering critiques, want to emphasize what a great job Sonic Studios has done. Have even done their best to work in Roon like info placed in the album info screen.

And now the gripes:

There seems to be no way to import playlists from iTunes or anywhere else. Audirvana and Fidelia both manage this simple, and huge time saving element, would be great if Amarra could do the same. The prospect of recreating all my playlists is overwhelming. Especially given there appears to be no way to select more than one track at a time to add to a newly created playlists unless you select the entire album. If I wanted to add only 4 tracks, would have to manually add them individually. Or wish they'd allow me to drag tracks from iTunes directly into an Amarra 4 playlist.

Another issue is not only can you not import ratings from iTunes, and there's no means to rate tracks within Amarra itself (that I can find). Its rare that I like every track on an album. For the ones that don't make the grade, I often never want to hear them again. Having no means to rate a track, not even a simple thumbs up or down ala Roon, is a royal pain. The only way I can think around this is to create a playlist for each artist and only add the blessed tracks to it. Its not how I wish to organize things and is unnecessarily time consuming. When previewing an album, will need to leave iTunes open and notch the ratings there, then one by one add the ordained tracks to the Amarra playlists. Ugh!

There also appears to be no way to edit meta data within Amarra.

All of these issues combined make it difficult for me to completely drop iTunes.

That said, because I so love the Amarra sound, I'm likely to purchase Amarra 4 at the end of the trial period with vain hopes that Sonic Studios will provide updates that improve the broader user experience. Given their past bug issues, perhaps its good they're not trying to do everything at once.

Thanks very much for your comments and we are continuing to make improvements for Amarra 4 and for Amarra 4 Luxe, due out at or near end of Q1 2017.

We'd like to see what the issue is with the ALAC version of Garcia/Grisman - may I ask where you got the track from and would you send it to us if needed?

Regarding your other points, you are correct, we don't import Playlists and at this time, making playlists is a one track at a time process. We also plan on adding editing capability to Album metadata. We expect to continue making improvements with each new release.

If you have any other questions or need assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

I attempted to import the Garcia & Grisman CD using the "Add to Library" feature, still wouldn't load. There were a few other quirks here and there, tracks that are correct in iTunes not being in correct order once in Amarra 4. But for the most part, all is well. I can send you the Garcia & Grisman ALAC files if you like.

I look forward to greatly improved playlist creation, a rating system, and an iOS remote app. The sound is awesome, great job.

Thanks for the update and a couple of notes

- Once you click on a track, use the Now Playing button at top of screen or in lower right corner, the tracks should be listed in correct order in those views.

- If you'd be so kind as to contact me at [email protected], I can send out our dropbox link to send the ALAC files to.

thx

Ralph

Best regards,

Drifted away from Amarra 3 due to it's terrible gui. Upgraded yesterday. Scanned my library quickly with no problems. I switched back and forth between 4 and A+, JRIVER using my HD650's. After awhile I found myself just listening to the music. (weird eh?). Checked and it was Amarra 4. So now I'll have A+ for MQA and Tidal, JRIVER for it's server and library functions and Amarra for carry me away listening. Maybe the luxe will narrow it down. As long as they don't go crazy with the pricing.

Thanks for your comments and we have good news:

- TIDAL integration is planned for Amarra 4 Luxe. Our target for A4L is end of Q1 at this time.

- We are continuing to work on library functions, improving playlists, artwork, editing metadata and other features to make it easier to navigate your music in A4

- we're in contact with MQA and will have more information available shortly

btw, A4Luxe is expected to retail for $99.

Best regards,

DOUBLE UP AND NO 192K

I previously tried to use Amarra for Tidal, however due to bugs it crashed all the time on my top-of-the-line beefed-up MacBook Pro 2014 model.

I upgraded to Amarra 4 yesterday. And ran into two new bugs:

(1) Albums scanned from my iTunes folder will contain two versions of every song when put into Amarra. Which means I will have to listen to the same song twice when playing an album.

(2) Hires 24 192k files will play as 96k files only, according to the information on the playback info bar at the bottom of the screen.

The bugs, especially (1), make another Amarra product useless for hazzle-free playback.

Apart from that I like the simplicity of Amarra 4. But it's surprising that Amarra's software releases are so full of bugs.

Thanks for your note, regarding the 2 copies of tracks, a couple of things:

- click on the far right of the track list on the 3 dots and select Open File Location. Make sure both files are in the same location and you haven't inadvertently set up iTunes to copy all of your tracks that are added to your library.

- When you clear songs and scan, you should have only one copy. If you scan again without clearing, duplicates may show up. If you want to add tracks to an existing library, use the Window->Add to Library command at top of screen.

- Regarding the 192k tracks playing at 96k, what output device are you using and how is it connected to your Mac or PC? Amarra 4 will down-sample a track that can't be played back natively due to limitations of your hardware. If you DAC only supports up to 96k (or you're using built in output), then 192k tracks will be down sampled.

- Amarra 4 Luxe will include real-time up-sampling functionality.

Best regards,

@Amarra_Support, how would you like to get feedback on Amarra 4? Would you like comments on technical issues sent to your email address? For example, things like screen shots, system logs, etc...

We commonly use 2 email addresses. For strictly support related issues, how-to's, not working, and the like, use [email protected] or, better yet, go to our support portal at: Amarra Support. As you enter your question, potential solutions will come up that may help to minimize response time. This is a good place to write if you want to include screen shots which are very helpful. System logs don't typically tell us much. If we need to get a log, we will contact you and let you know. When you report problems, we need to be able to reproduce them reliably to resolve them so details of steps taken and screen shots/error messages are most helpful.

You can use [email protected] to send any comments, suggestions for improvements, questions about functionality, clarity on pricing and purchasing, etc.

Best

Ralph

Best regards,

I have been using Amarra 3 for a couple years and have been very happy with the sound. I will probably get the v4 upgrade this weekend, but I really wish they had a method to import iTunes Playlists (I have a lot). Editing metadata and artwork should be close to the top of the list for v4.1

On it's way, top or our list too!

Best regards,

When I scanned initially I imported the whole music directory, so that imported the copy in the iTunes library AND the unzipped HDTracks or Qobuz file. In some cases I ended up with 4 copies of tracks as I may have had legacy AAC files before getting HD equivalants. I purged the songs and changed the scan directory to only the iTunes Music directory which is my reference and it only added what was in there, so now only one copy of each track.

As to the 192, it says it is playing the files at 192 and the DAC (NAD M51) says it is playing at 192 ... I tend to use ALAC not FLAC so it may be that matters but I would be surprised.

Hope that helps

Shouldn't matter with ALAC or FLAC. We can play both at 192k if it's a 192k file. If you can send me the name of an example file exhibiting this behavior, I'd like to test in house. If one of the tracks is from HDTracks, even better. You can send info to me at [email protected]

Best regards,

Darn. Let us know if you get a fix from @Amarra_Support. Does this happen on your primary folder where you first do a scan?

For what it's worth, I choose a primary folder with a small number of files. I scan that easily, and then subsequently use "Add to Library" to add my main collection. The latter takes about 20 minutes, give or take and this is the step where the progress indicator stalls, goes up and down, but ultimately completes.

We have found that a lot of the issues are around corrupted metadata in files. We are addressing that in our code to eliminate the crashing and allow you to scan your full library at once.

Best regards,

Sonic advertised the upgrade from Amarra 3 all last fall as costing $5 bucks. You click on the link to upgrade and it's actually $25 dollars. It's freaking annoying. It's not the money (it's a small amount) but why do they have to lie about it and spring the higher price on us at the checkout page? It's typical of Sonic who seem to think they're so good they can get away with anything and their customers will just take it.

Also, the upgrade's to Amarra 4 because Amarra 4 "Luxe" is not available yet. Luxe is the version with DSD, up sampling, TIDAL, headphone processing, etc.

Sorry for any confusion. To clarify, we really expect Amarra Hifi users to move to Amarra 4 and Amarra 3/Symphony 3 users to move to Amarra 4 Luxe for comparable features. That's what the $5 upgrade was for new purchases at the end of last year. That is still the case. However, if users want to use Amarra 4 initially (with it's reduced features as compared to A4 Luxe), we wanted to make that available to them at 50% off the retail price of $49.

We're doing our best to keep prices down however continued development does cost money. We hope that the nominal re-licensing/development/admin fees that are charged for upgrades are not a burden on our customers and they see the added value in the improved listening experience.

Best regards,

Could Amarra just email us when its fixed. Life us too short to keep checking.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Sorry for the issues some of you are having. We are working hard at resolving some key items and expect to have a new build out in the next day or so. Appreciate your patience.

best

ralph

Best regards,

Sorry for the issues some of you are having. We are working hard at resolving some key items and expect to have a new build out in the next day or so. Appreciate your patience.

best

ralph

Hi All,

I wanted to give you a heads up on what we're working on and what's upcoming. We're targeting a new release to be available in the next day or so, barring anything unforeseen.

I'd also like to mention that although we are not always responding to messages, we do monitor the board and appreciate your feedback. I encourage you to contact me directly at either sales@ or ralph@ sonicstudio.com if you have questions.

Changes in Amarra 4.0.2 release

Scan / Metadata

- Fix crash on corrupted artwork images

- Fix duplicate tracks in Albums on Scan

- Fix support for AIFF artist/album metadata

- Fix support for AlbumArtist in metadata

- Add Unicode support for album/artist metadata

- DSD scan looks for .jpg as cover art in folder

Add Save Menu command - allows you to save your libra

Add iTunes Scan Menu Command

- import tracks, albums, artists from iTunes Metadata ( requires share XML in advanced iTunes prefs )

- import playlists

Various small fixes.

Upcoming

- Add basic support for changing information / artists, albums, etc.

Best,

Ralph

Best regards,

Thank you for the heads up.

I have been a bit frustrated recently. Making playlists to listen to during the day helps me a lot :-)

Could I ask if it is possible to get a download of your macOS optimisation APP, i've looked for it on your website and the only download link I can find doesn't work properly.

It's an excellent utility and much easier for me with my disability than switching off everything One at a time through terminal.

Thanks

Thanks for the note, try the link below:

http://downloads.sonicstudio.com/misc/MacOSX_Optimization_Setup.scpt.zip

best

Ralph

Best regards,

Yes, for me too. Amarra--and especially this new version--sounds better than ever.

That is why the 'bugs' really bug me. :-(

I'm at the stage now where the work-arounds ALMOST make it worth the extra work they take and the cost of upgrading from 3. I really hope something happens before the 17th--my birthday and the day my evaluation copy expires!

Greg

Hi Greg,

We're about to release a new build, a lot of fixes that were giving people headaches. Should be out tonite or tomorrow. If you need an extension to your trial, send me email at ralph at sonicstudio dot com.

best

Ralph

Best regards,

Any news Ralph. We're getting desparate.

Hi All,

Thanks for your patience, we're going to have a build available shortly that you're all welcome to use. It's got many of the fixes I've mentioned earlier, however there are still some items we are working through.

If you'd like to get a copy of this build, please send me a note at ralph at sonicstudio dot com. This build is not for public consumption yet so I need all of your cooperation in keeping the download links sent out to yourselves, please do not post publicly.

Not sure of exact time, but likely available later on tonite.

best

Ralph

Best regards,

Hi All,

Thanks for your patience, we're going to have a build available shortly that you're all welcome to use. It's got many of the fixes I've mentioned earlier, however there are still some items we are working through.

If you'd like to get a copy of this build, please send me a note at ralph at sonicstudio dot com. This build is not for public consumption yet so I need all of your cooperation in keeping the download links sent out to yourselves, please do not post publicly.

best

Ralph

One note to clarify using Amarra 4 and loading your tracks:

1) Scan iTunes library button will scan your iTunes library for Tracks, Artwork, and Playlists and import them into Amarra 4. If you get a Finder or IE window, navigate to your iTunes Library.xml file or iTunes Library.itl if the .xml file is not present.

2) Use Choose Folder button to start a new library if you don't use iTunes. Navigate to your music folder and click Open. Then cick the Scan for Music button.

3) Once you have a library established, use Add to Library button to add additional tracks or music folders to your library.

I hope that helps.

Best

Ralph

Best regards,

Hi All,

best

Ralph

Hi All,

Thanks for your interest in the new build for testing. We got it out to a few people and identified a couple of issues we need to resolve and then can send out a new build. Everyone who sent me a message, i have your email addy and will send out a new link just as soon as it's available. We really appreciate everyone's time and we really don't want to waste any of it.

best

Ralph

Best regards,

• 2 weeks later...
so bloody conflicted as is pisses me off that I have paid for Amarra (when it was $500), Amarra Tidal and SQ and now it appears that luxe 4 is promising to do what these programs should have done...

Really glad to see Jon, Ralph and the Amarra gang continue to progress their work and respect how hard it can be but as a consumer not really feeling it. Here is to hoping that 4 is the program that computer audiophiles have been waiting for I for one am going to pass until the program is road tested and bullet proofed.

Thanks for your feedback and sorry for the frustration. We are working at resolving the issues reported and do appreciate your feedback. The next release has many improvements with more on the way.

best

Ralph

Best regards,

• 3 weeks later...
Oh dear Sonic Studio, I'm starting to feel sorry for you a little bit if I hadn't had to pay for the software :-)

Anyway as everyone has said the new beta version keeps crashing as soon as you click scan folder.

However I've managed to get it to scan the folder, you have to delete the 2 new files they've put in the amarra folder in your applications folder. Then when you open Amarra 4 those 2 files will reappear but the scan will be okay and it won't crash Amarra.

You are correct, small oversite on our part, sorry for any inconvenience. A new installer is available for download the does not create the two files initially. They were a leftover from our testing.

Nothing else in the installer has changed except this item. The new installer is there in case you need it.

Best

Ralph

Best regards,

I could not resist to test the latest Amarra version. The iTunes XML option, which is my preferred option, is still crashing. The folder scan is working properly until now, but a little slow. Sound wise I could not notice a lot of difference between Audirvana 3 and Amarra on my system; perhaps Audirvana is a little clearer with some more dept/separation. Audirvana seems to be a little warmer/flatter. But this is just my first impression.

If the scan is crashing, please take a look in your Amarra 4 folder and open the AmarraScanFiles.txt file. The last entry in the file should give you an indication of what file is causing the crash. Let us know what file it is. You can try removing that file from your library and re-scan to see if that resolves the issue.

best

ralph

Best regards,

18 hours ago, DancingSea said:

I have many AIFF files, along with even more ALAC.  For me, all load equally well.  The only snag came with a couple of one track SACD rips.  Meaning, the whole album, in this case, Garcia & Grisman, was one long 6 GB track.  This caused Amarra 4 to crash on import.  And that was in the ALAC format.  But I think it was the track size more than anything else.....

I revisited Amarra SQ to use with iTunes and Tidal.  I find Amarra HiFi better sounding for iTunes and will wait for Luxe to use with Tidal - though SQ did sound good with Tidal, just prefer A4's overall sound to SQ....

Try the updated build of Amarra 4 for the larger files, you should be able to load the Garcia&Grisman track without issue in v233.

best

Ralph

Best regards,

• 3 months later...
On 7/3/2017 at 3:22 PM, Otherworld74 said:

I just got Amarra 4, upgrading fron v 3. Does Amarra 4 have a cache mode?

Yes, we do, Amarra caches 2 or 4 tracks depending on local library or TIDAL use.  This is not selectable at this time, under consideration for future builds.

Best regards,

• 3 weeks later...