IGNORED

New Amarra 4

I gave up on AL4 a few months back when it really got to Totally Unusable and went back to 3. Had another go at L4 few weeks ago, and have to say that I have used it for weeks without being aware of using it, ie: it doesn't draw attention to itself by Not Working. I don't really use it as a library, I clear the albums and add a few off my drives every so often, but as far as playback goes, it seems to be as stable as 3 ever got to. SQ way ahead of anyone else, this software would not have survived this long if it wasn't, QED. So, kudos where they are due, something is going in the right direction. 

• 3 weeks later...

Totally Agree with Dancing Sea. I have to have Audirvana just for the native DSD. I think if Amarra had that and it stayed as stable as it currently is, there would be no competition. I'll qualify by saying that I don't really use it for library work. To me, Amarra are spending a lot of time trying to develop stuff everyone else can already do, and they should just focus on the thing they do better than anyone else and just go hi-end Virtual Soundcard. 

• 5 months later...

I did the same thing, downgraded back to 3 then came back to 4 about six months ago. In my experience since 4 has been stable, nothing like the problems it had the first year it was out there. I don't put it to the test as far as library goes, I clear it out every time and put in what I want off my drive which is fine for me. The only lingering problem I have with my setup is the odd Big Bang between tracks when I am upsampling and using the software volume at the same time. I moved over to HQP for most of my listening now, but I still like to go back and put some native PCM 192 stuff through Amarra because I quite like the dark sound signature. I don' think there is any player or combination of players out there that covers all the bases, I have to have A+ for my ISOs for example. Think Amarra has a place as one of your players, but the whole industry hasn't got to maturity yet. 

• 4 weeks later...