IGNORED

New Amarra 4

On 6/26/2017 at 1:46 PM, DancingSea said:

I am curious if Amarra updated/ improved their sound engine with A4.  Or is it just the same sound engine as A3/ SQ etc with a more pleasing user interface - visually that is?

I don't see anything on the Sonic Studio touting "a new and improved sound engine."  Its all about their new interface and related features.  One would think that if the sound engine was improved, they would list that as a main selling point.

So maybe my perception that A4 sounds better the Amarra SQ, or Amarra 3/ HiFi is just an illusion, a product of expectation bias?

Does anyone know if A4 has a new sound engine?

John do you have this plugin preQursor2 ?

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, jos said:

I was not using Amarra anymore; giving up, to much trouble to install all my music files and so on. But right now, I installed te latest version I received today and I did start using it in the iTunes only mode with minimized Amarra Window. I really think this is the way to go! But it should be more like Pure Music with relay gain and so on. And I really want to see Amarra on top of my iTunes screen as my player. Now I think they should make two versions; one with their own database and one on top of iTunes. But that is just my opinion. I only need one on top of iTunes and I think most of us. What is your opinion?

I'm firmly into A+

Dancing got my Stellar today. Will hook it up tomorrow and be asking you some questions. Like first I want to by pass the internal pre amp and listen to it them I want to use Stellars pre amp.  I'll be using RCA's now until I get the XLR's later. Also where do you hook a REGEN at and what kind of adapter do I need? Enough for now.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I downloaded his apple script. I'm wondering if I install HQP and add his script how will it effect A+ incase I want to go back to it. But you didn't answer my question, if I can still work my library from external HD? I"d hate the thought of loading all my music into my Mac Book. It has a small flash drive. And what do you mean "t all boils down to your relationship with HQPlayer"? Also "independently like HQPlayer"?

Well thats good to hear about the Library, I got my self thru A+ and my ifi nano with the help of this forum. I don't mind tinkering just as long as if I screw up I can get back to home. I have one script created 10/1/17 and the newer one 1/20/18

It's good to see people using Mac. Changing subj. I'm going to try my Parasound Preamp with my Stellar and see if I can hear a difference. One person we both talk with disagrees with that. BTW I don't need a trial version of HQP I have a full working version but don't think it's upgradable.

On 6/26/2017 at 2:17 PM, copy_of_a said:

FWIW here are my settings & plugins.

A+ prefs (from my Desktop computer with a little NAD D1050 DAC… but the actual settings are the same as in my main system):

Audio System -> Low Level Playback options:
- Exclusive access mode: engaged
- Direct Mode: disabled
- Large I/O buffer: engaged
- Integer Mode: engaged

Upsampling:
- steepness: 22
- Filter length: 500,000
- cutoff: 0,95
- AA: 100
- pre-ringing: 0,86
- Forced Upsampling: power of 2

AU:
1. PSP preQursor2*
2. PSP Mix Saturator
3. PSP X-Dither

I have my music coming into a Mac Book from an external HD. I tried your settings in A+ and get too much harshness so back to A+ default settings. I have the Stellar Gain Cell DAC. Haven't tried connecting the REGEN yet. I only have about 25hr's break in so far. I do have the Parasound P5 HALO preamp that I'm not using since I have a preamp in the Stellar. Will need to test it yet. It's only 1 year old.

Plugins:

preQursor:
- analog pre-amp: +8
- filterbands engaged but all set to zero
- output gain: -3db
- SAT: engaged

Mix Saturator 2:
- seperate Low and High filtering disabled
- saturation: 20%
- Shape: Valve 1 (the smoothest option)
- Mix (Dry/Wet): 65%

Dither:
- Mildly shaped Dither (Smooth NS „A“)
- (additional) Dither Shape: Flat
- Dither Level: High
- bit depth: 24bit

Now, as said above, it’s not my goal to exactly match Amarra’s sound.
This is less processing - A4 sounds bolder.
To get the same „richness“ as Amarra set the pre-amp of preQursor from +8 to around +12 and Saturation to 30%-40% (mix to 65%-75%)... in case you really use this plugin.

______

Saturation: I’ve tried the Klanghelm IVGI saturation plugin but even at the lowest setting it’s too much for my taste.
It sound really good (very good!) - as an effect - but too bold to match Amarra sound and much too bold for my personal taste.

Since I already have a high quality saturation plugin I don’t want to check all the other plugins mentioned here.

Personally I also like preQursor2 alone (with SAT enabled in conjunction with -3db output gain) … but the second addition of some saturation (at very low settings) is certainly nice if you want to get closer to Amarra.

Dither: 24bit TPDF Dither will do - you don’t need to buy a plugin for this purpsose…

Hope that helps.

* make sure to update to the latest version of preQursor2 (2.0.2)!

prefs.thumb.jpg.b4d3abd5397e2e0935fba045384594e9.jpg

plugins.thumb.jpg.2289236707720ac6e930ae9c39d645da.jpg

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
23 hours ago, DancingSea said:

Thanks for your thoughts.  For me, once I got on the DSD bandwagon, A4L just hasn't measured up.  And I enjoy all of HQP's filter.  Also, Roon - albeit unnecessarily expensive - works so very well.

The Direct Stream Junior is still breaking in.  It converts everything to 20x DSD, so I'm interested to give A4L a test through the DSJ as I won't have to rely upon Mac based software DSD upsampling.

I've always liked Amarra's organic tone and iTunes integration eases the ridiculous pain caused by the A4L library system.   But I have almost a TB of DSD files, and having A4L convert that to PCM is simply unacceptable.

Roon, while not perfect, is luxurious with its ability to have my entire library, red book, hi res PCM, Tidal, and DSD all elegantly integrated in one place.  No more work arounds, dragging stuff to folders, standing on one leg and praying it works ;)

So you like Amara better than HQPlayer and what is A4L? Thanks

Allen has become a good friend to me and I don't mean this next comment as offensive. You and Allen are constantly trying hard to shame me, but thats your stuff not mine. I thank you for all your help. I ask many people for help and now I'm helping Allen with Great DVD guitar tutorials that I'm starting to give him. We have had a few nice talks by phone. I don't find any complaints with A+, after a guy shared some filter change. My first hookup to the MR with default A_ setting was bad. I almost gave up until a CA post came thru. And I'm always looking ahead, not in new hardware, I'm  out of cash. Got to get a few graphic design freelance jobs.