IGNORED

New Amarra 4

3 hours ago, NickDun said:

It's not the most reliable software on a Mac no ... I dont manage anything in it. All my music is held on disk and then I import into the library whenever it crashes (not too frequently), hangs on quitting (very often) or when I want to add something new (unpredictable behaviours expected). It seems incapable of searching for a song, especially on Qobuz, but searching for an artist is ok, and sometimes finding an album works. But dont expect to do too many searches before it will freeze.

So ... just know what you want to listen to, find a track on a discography site outside it and then search for artist and look for the album that track is on. Finding classical music is frankly a nightmare.

I have learned where it puts stuff so I dont fight it anymore. I cancelled my payment twice but came back to it because for me it still sounds the best. Test? Under African Skies on the Paul Simon Gracelands album ... the cowbell at the end sounds like a cowbell on Amarra ... it sounds like a cymbal on things like Audirvana.

Nick

Yes, can't fault the SQ. I might try the Amarra for Tidal version instead. 

4 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

IMO, the latest version works fairly well, although it certainly does have its glitches—database wise.🙁

I keep persevering with it because I haven't found a sound quality I prefer.🙂

I'm currently comparing to Roon and A+ and am surprised Amarra is much better. it seems to lift a veil so that each recording sounds very different and the musical details are revealed. 

3 hours ago, DancingSea said:

As a veteran of the Amarra swamp lands, I eventually gave up entirely on it.  With Roon plus HQPlayer 4 (backend) I'm able to get equally good sound, and an infinitely better library management system and iPad remote.  Amarra was so tedious to use.  Roon is smooth like butter, never a glitch, ever.  I ended up buying a Roon lifetime license.

This is without upsampling I assume? 

• 1 year later...
On 12/29/2021 at 1:07 AM, DancingSea said:

Well, I’ve done numerous experiments and the sound quality is noticeably better when I remove the Mac Mini (and the MicroRendu 1.4) from the chain. Be it via physical disks, or directly connecting a USB drive to the Marantz, or utilizing Tidal Connect directly, with no computer. 

In every case, the sound is simply much better.  Removing the computer and any software computer based player sounds way better.  I’m guessing I need to spend a lot to bring the computer chain to a level playing field. 

Are you using analogue out from the 30n?

39 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

Yes, I'm using the 30n as a DAC outputting analog via the variable output to, currently, a Decware ZRock2 (amazing!) into a Decware CSp3 (amazing!) into the Marantz Model 30 in power amp mode.... sounds beyond anything I thought possible....

I sold the mR, but now have an iFi Zen Stream with iFi Elite power supply.  Roon through it to the Marantz 30n sounds pretty good.  Not quite as good as discs, or Tidal Connect directly through the Zen Stream, but the Decware CSP3 allows me to adjust the output gain which has compensated a bit for the Mac Mini/ Roon's deficiencies.

Lately I mix my listening up.  One night physical CD/ SACD.  Another Tidal Connect via the Zen Stream (really sounds great), and then another with Roon via the Mac Mini/ Zen Stream just because I have a lifetime Roon license and Roon has it's benefits for music discovery....

In short, I'm very spoiled!

Ah makes sense, I thought you were using the 30n as the Tidal connect streamer. How is the Zen stream connected, USB?

• 2 weeks later...