IGNORED

Computer Audiophile on the Cheap

Nothing wrong with your approach. It might even be the most sane one around. 

I think audiophiles often get caught up in that next tiny improvement in sound quality and describe small improvements as enourmous. When you do that, less expensive equipment is denigrated as "Lacking", when in fact it has most of the qualities of much more expensive stuff. That curve of diminishing returns is pretty steep in audio, and once you spend over a $1000 or $2000 it starts to really kick in- significant improvements start to cost quite a lot.

The advances in materials, electronics, and manufacturing mean that even with new equipment you can get a source, DAC, amp, and speakers for $1000 that sounds very good - at least in the US. It gets you most of the way there. Also very true with modern active systems that include a DAC. The biggest thing it doesn't do is very low bass and room filling volumes...and a lot of us don't need that. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Since my last posting "Computer Audiophile on the Cheap" has jumped into Class-D Amplifiers. I am listening to a $40 Nobsound built on the TPA3116 chip with a 24v power supply ($10). I tested the iFi iDSD nano LE as a DAC, and have concluded that I like the Schiit Modi 2 better-- it is more 'Musical'.

The iFi unit has a headphone amplifier stage, and it really does well with my Sennheiser cans, but too many POTS spoil the soup, when I used it on my system.

So True...

I have reached "the end of the line" as far as "room" audio is concerned, the way forward for me is going to be a headphone system "best bang/buck", i have Shure SRH940 from 2013 -like them, but they can be "to honest" ie sound harsh on some material, so going to look for some "non neutral", fun - phones...

And you would not belive the prices we have in Sweden, when i look at things on Amozon US - 9 sek/$ then times 2, thats our price!

Some try to sneak by custums, they don't check every parsel, but if you are done - 50% extra + penalty fees.... 

I guess there are pros and cons everyvere...

1 hour ago, Balder said:

Hi!

Nice with a topic i can relate to! I live in Sweden, we have a "local" forum, whenever you claim to "prefer" a, lets call it "budget item", you get "jumpt" on by "trendsetters" - who uses all kind of arguments to, sometimes bluntly, but mosltly "polite" tell you that you did something wrong when you came to the conclusion that the cheaper item sound very close, if not as god as the expensive item in "fashion".

Now, for me personaly, the reward of working with what you have, with small, well informed, investments and achiving a very high level of performance/money is enormous. For me it started with a dropp in inkome, that forced me to rethink the "uppgrade carousel". Instead of just bying a higher level of perfomance, i had to learn, and learn, and work within my ekonomical reality. I found myselfs with a lot of time on my hands to focus on that, not everybody has that, of course.

I have today a sound system of old and/or second hand parts that i have spent about $1000 in total - computerbased. That outperforms previus systems i have had over the years up to $10000, or more...

I know people who read the mags every month and lust for more expensive solutions to problems that don't exist. If you can be happy listening to your music, does it really matter if some paid reviewer for a magazine thinks it is good? For those of us on a fixed income, or just just not wealthy--we can make our music sound better, if we spend it carefully on things that make a difference. In my case, the High Fidelity Cables MC-0.5 made a tremendous difference at $300 per unit (although I hear they are closing out some blems for $225, without the fancy waterproof shipping case)  And some of my friends said my new 'mini Power Amplifier' sounds great until I tell them it cost only $40 and is Class-D.... You see the Audio Press doesn't hold Class-D amps in high regard, so rather than trusting their ears--they say it just doesn't sound good. Now, if I had $250,000 invested in my system, I am sure that I couldn't accept a $40 amp as anything other than deplorable. But, opinions are like a-holes, everyone one has one, and some stink....

yeah- we all have them,holes...

I don't have anything against people who work f-g hard, earn loads of money and spend them on whatever, but i can be lets say "litle uppset" with folks who look down on HiFi nerds with less "expensive" equipment, and "dare" claim "cheap" stuff to be OK. We all have different ekonmise, and it can vary a bit over a lifetime...(parden my "english" - Swed, trying to type english fast - bad idee....

You too silly goose...

You know, sometimes my mouth is ahed of my brain :-)

But i'm just a blond "Viking".... k-l first... think later, if at all... so what do i know...lol!

By the way: On my dads side my family has lived on an island as far back as the records goes, back to 1450. I own a big piece of land there, but guess what? Market value = zero! Illigal to build on it - "N-y" security zone/enviromental protected zone....So - i am stinking rich-not!

13 minutes ago, Balder said:

You too silly goose...

You know, sometimes my mouth is ahed of my brain :-)

But i'm just a blond "Viking".... k-l first... think later, if at all... so what do i know...lol!

By the way: On my dads side my family has lived on an island as far back as the records goes, back to 1450. I own a big piece of land there, but guess what? Market value = zero! Illigal to build on it - "N-y" security zone/enviromental protected zone....So - i am stinking rich-not!

What it's valued at to you is all that matters :)

Back to topic:

I found very little info, when i googled on the Korg DS-DAC100m, i finaly got - with a free- return policy.(695 SEK($70)). Probably the best Upgr/money i ever done!

OK -the retail price on Amazon UK is £ 211(!) - that's to much for me, haven' t checked Amazon US, so, no idea how expensive it would be compared with ex Shiit? Shiit Modi 2 Uber would sett me back 2500 SEK(about $250) from US(Shiit-direkt) to Sweden(No retail here)(!). So that was not an option...

This is my first USB-DAC: but it sounds amazing to me...

I do have a "spdf" DAC: LiTe DAC-AH from 2007, modified 2008, but total "red book".

Has an interesting design: in stead of one god expensive chip, it has 4 cheap Philips old school chip/channel parallell, the idea is that diferenses in specs "evens out", and the resulting analog output signal is strong - no need for a ampchip! Sounds realy "sweet" - some folks may say it sounds "analog"(as oposit to "digital") OK?

47 minutes ago, Balder said:

Back to topic:

I found very little info, when i googled on the Korg DS-DAC100m, i finaly got - with a free- return policy.(695 SEK($70)). Probably the best Upgr/money i ever done!

OK -the retail price on Amazon UK is £ 211(!) - that's to much for me, haven' t checked Amazon US, so, no idea how expensive it would be compared with ex Shiit? Shiit Modi 2 Uber would sett me back 2500 SEK(about $250) from US(Shiit-direkt) to Sweden(No retail here)(!). So that was not an option...

This is my first USB-DAC: but it sounds amazing to me...

I do have a "spdf" DAC: LiTe DAC-AH from 2007, modified 2008, but total "red book".

Has an interesting design: in stead of one god expensive chip, it has 4 cheap Philips old school chip/channel parallell, the idea is that diferenses in specs "evens out", and the resulting analog output signal is strong - no need for a ampchip! Sounds realy "sweet" - some folks may say it sounds "analog"(as oposit to "digital") OK?

Schiit Modi 2 sells for $99 directly from Schiit here in US. The next price point is Bifrost $399. For me the Modi 2 is quite adequate.

or one can say America is the land of the future, unfettered by the past horrors of history

and the land has not been occupied by a monkey infestation so long it has been totally effed up yet (Pleistocene Overkill would be an exception)

Yeah right....

Infestations...

To that i have only one response: Donald Trump!

I complained about the high prices in Sweden....

....Trump intends to bring "work" back to US....

Custums fee on imported stuff  was mentioned...

I wooonder....is imported electronics(mainly made in China/look behand nearly every gear....) going to be cheaper? More expensive?

Well i to stupiddd, can't figure that out mmmmm.

22 minutes ago, Balder said:

Yeah right....

Infestations...

To that i have only one response: Donald Trump!

I complained about the high prices in Sweden....

....Trump intends to bring "work" back to US....

Custums fee on imported stuff  was mentioned...

I wooonder....is imported electronics(mainly made in China/look behand nearly every gear....) going to be cheaper? More expensive?

Well i to stupiddd, can't figure that out mmmmm.

U.S citizens will quit spending if they are forced to buy U.S made products.

As far as I'm concerned they should put a 40% duty on all products manufactured in countries known to be exploited for cheap labor, and lack of regulatory measures. The only reason companies should outsource is if they seek superior technology not available locally. Not so they can sell out their own country and citizens, and make other countries more powerful due to greed. 

Nope, nothing wrong with having a budget.  If there was one area where the budget gets broken, because there are no alternative low budget solutions, it's power supplies.  Can redefine what budget components sound like.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Silly goose: Well on that i totaly agree....

We had a enormous industriell base, shipyards, volvo saab, asea- who built all our nukler plants(considered to be among the safest in the world)..

and so on... they all where outcompeted by "Asian" industri, without the strong uniun - we always had here. I have seen BBC dukumetarys abuot the workers conditions there - lets just say they don't have a long life expectensy...

My new DAC states:made in Japan, sounds god, if it's true?

We, all of us; have been spoiled by cheap styff from Asia. not many think about why they are so cheap? Must be magic? And usualy: momey talks! But i suspect that a lot of that money made in Asia ends up in pockets belonging to "western bussiness men"?

3 minutes ago, Balder said:

Silly goose: Well on that i totaly agree....

We had a enormous industriell base, shipyards, volvo saab, asea- who built all our nukler plants(considered to be among the safest in the world)..

and so on... they all where outcompeted by "Asian" industri, without the strong uniun - we always had here. I have seen BBC dukumetarys abuot the workers conditions there - lets just say they don't have a long life expectensy...

My new DAC states:made in Japan, sounds god, if it's true?

We, all of us; have been spoiled by cheap styff from Asia. not many think about why they are so cheap? Must be magic? And usualy: momey talks! But i suspect that a lot of that money made in Asia ends up in pockets belonging to "western bussiness men"?

the industrial base and manufacturing will come back (and is already doing so in the US) -- it's the jobs that won't come back --- unless you can program a robot