IGNORED

Article: Holo Audio Spring Level 3 Kitsune Tuned Edition R2R DAC Review

Superdad-

Am hoping you will give us a "mini review" of the Dac - I'd like to hear what another experienced user thinks of it.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Superdad-

Am hoping you will give us a "mini review" of the Dac - I'd like to hear what another experienced user thinks of it.

Sure. I've been told I'll receive it by mid-December, but then I'll need to run it in, experiment a bit, and make it through the holidays. So don't expect to read much from me about it until after the first of the year.

I have to report to bibo01 and others that I "think" I like 16/44 upsampled (via HQplayer) to 24/352.8k (via I2S) as it renders a more accurate (to my ears) upper extension and a slightly tighter bass. But so far these changes are so subtle as to be easily mistaken for expectation bias if not careful. This redbook upsampling is no-brainer-easily-heard in HQplayer via other dacs.

Ted,

I use XXhighend which is similar to HQ player. XXhighend can upsample to 24/768. Can the Holo Audio Spring take 768 in NOS mode? I realise the I2S is limited at 384. But without the I2S is the Holo capable? Have you tried the Intona on the Holo USB input?

I've had the Intona before my Benchmark DAC2 but since recent updates with XXhighend I have now removed the Intona. I believe althought the Intona does some good things it also has a negative effect that takes something away from the sound. USB needs more work and probably included in the DAC.

Robert

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Happy New Year. Part Three Continued added to the end of the review. Big changes with the Intona in place. Dunno why, frankly.

Ted, happy new year and thank you. I am waiting for my Spring Level 3 to be delivered in about a month. I know Ted at Kitsune really recommends using the Intona. Have you tried the SU-1 after the Intona, then HDMI to the Spring? I know from your previous post that you felt HDMI to the Spring was superior.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Ted:

Happy New Year.

How are you up-sampling to DSD 512 (22579200)? When I try that, I get no sound, but I can up-sample to 256 (11289600). I am using HQPlayer/NAA, and I an selecting default: HoloAudio ASIO under Settings>Device. SDM Pack>none, DirectSDM>not checked.

I do not see DSD512 sample rate available if I have any other settings. This way I see DSD256 and 512 both available but no sound for 512. Let me know please. Thanks.

Sig8,

Hi. Although my changed recommendation today was when using the microRendu as NAA (and DSD512 easily done there) I also use a Windows 10 NAA and DSD512 is available there too. Hmmm, I know your music server build is similar to mine. I use fiber (and FMCs, especailly the Trendnet at microRendu end, not the TP-Link used elsewhere).

Tbooe,

I need to work out the Intona for the SU-1 cuz even on it's side it blocks the HDMI connector to the point where I cannot get a good connection. Stay tuned.

Thanks Ted. I assume you must have a very short USB cable or adapter going from the Intona?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Ted: You will need hard adapters or two to connect SU-1 to Intona I would like to try without W4S Recovery, but I was not able to connect to SU-1 without it, but will try again.

How do you insert an image here, I thought I knew?

I don't follow. ?

I have Intona connected to SU-1 and I am trying to insert a picture here, but I am not been able to do that? Icon here wants you to insert from a url? Can you tell me how to attach or insert a picture here please.

The third icon from the right will allow you to insert an image.

@ted_b sorry I missed that point about using the Sonore adapters.

@sig8 did you figure out whye you cant do DSD512? Once I get my Spring DAC I will be trying it through my SU-1

Other components:

Based on what I hear from three USB Interfaces, upsampling really depends on the interface's ability to turn the USB into something the DAC's output can't mangle too much.

Some interfaces take well to say DSD128 upsampling, but higher tend to drag the life out of the music. For PCM, some interfaces don't take well to upsampling at all, and prefer the natural sampling rate of the file, while others don't mind upsampling and sound better. NOS dacs look like they can receive upsampled data to maximum and be happy with that result.

No hard and fast rule applies, it's a matter for experimentation.

No lame excuses now, mind, galvanic isolation should be in all DAC USB front ends, especially those DACs priced several thousands of EUR/USD. The techniques are now out of the box for USB 2.0!!

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

The third icon from the right will allow you to insert an image.

@ted_b sorry I missed that point about using the Sonore adapters.

@sig8 did you figure out whye you cant do DSD512? Once I get my Spring DAC I will be trying it through my SU-1

Realize the SU-1 only goes to DSD256. My DSD512 take is with USB directly in from either Windows NAA or microRendu NAA (both going through Intona). I know this is redundant but wanted it out there. :) Also, the microRendu will take direct (i.e not DoP) DSD soon, but still at DSD256.

Realize the SU-1 only goes to DSD256. My DSD512 take is with USB directly in from either Windows NAA or microRendu NAA (both going through Intona). I know this is redundant but wanted it out there. :) Also, the microRendu will take direct (i.e not DoP) DSD soon, but still at DSD256.

Interesting about the SU-1. When I first run NAA, I would swear that DSD512 shows up as a supported format. I am going to need to double-check that

Other components:

Ok, so that explains it. I was going through SU-1, so only to 256. I will try direct, but doubt it will beat going through SU-1.intona.jpg

This is my Intona (in my case JCAT USB Isolator) with array of hard adapters. I tried without W4S Recovery but was not able to connect to SU-1 (with Intona in tow). Intona surely gives a big improvement. Adapters are necessary to connect everything. JCAT USB Isolator is upside down as installed resting on some padding to keep things in line and to not put load on the connectors. Hard adapters sound better than cables for sure after Intona.

This is my Intona (in my case JCAT USB Isolator) with array of hard adapters. I tried without W4S Recovery but was not able to connect to SU-1 (with Intona in tow). Intona surely gives a big improvement. Adapters are necessary to connect everything. JCAT USB Isolator is upside down as installed resting on some padding to keep things in line and to not put load on the connectors. Hard adapters sound better than cables for sure after Intona.

Unfortunately, unless you are powering your (after-the-Intona) W4S Recovery with batteries or our LPS-1, you are defeating much of the isolation provided by the Intona. Certainly the Recovery is improving signal integrity over what the Intona produces, but you will be in for a real treat if you power the Recovery with a supply that does not let leakage currents back in right at your DAC.

Unfortunately, unless you are powering your (after-the-Intona) W4S Recovery with batteries or our LPS-1, you are defeating much of the isolation provided by the Intona. Certainly the Recovery is improving signal integrity over what the Intona produces, but you will be in for a real treat if you power the Recovery with a supply that does not let leakage currents back in right at your DAC.

You will like my answer Alex; I am powering W4S Recovery with Uptone Audio LPS-1, heard of them? Great piece of gear, I got two. Also have Paul Hynes SR7 on hand. But as I said I would like to try without W4S or Regen, but was not able to connect to SU-1 so far, need to try little more. Thank you for your advice though, greatly appreciate, certainly don't understand that kind of details.

Ok, so that explains it. I was going through SU-1, so only to 256. I will try direct, but doubt it will beat going through SU-1..

@sig8 and @ted_b I just checked my settings in HQP and I am able to select DSD512 as an option going through the SU-1. Unfortunately I do not have a DSD DAC until I take delivery of my Spring in about a month so I can't verify. I am using a PC running Server R2 Essentials in core mode as an NAA.

Other components:

@sig8 and @ted_b I just checked my settings in HQP and I am able to select DSD512 as an option going through the SU-1. Unfortunately I do not have a DSD DAC until I take delivery of my Spring in about a month so I can't verify. I am using a PC running Server R2 Essentials in core mode as an NAA.

Believe me, as a Spring and SU-1 owner, all it can do is DSD256 for now.

Believe me, as a Spring and SU-1 owner, all it can do is DSD256 for now.

I absolutely believe you. I am just curious because @sig8 said he didnt even have DSD512 as an option in HQP whereas I do.

Other components:

This review is very interesting. You state that you prefer DSD512 as the oversample rate of choice after the super cap upgrade. Since DSD obviously can't be processed through a R2R network, that basically means you prefer the Holo's DS chip to its R2R ladder. What does it use as a DS chip? Sabre? 4490?

Edit: Sorry, just read the notes on the product page. Looks like this thing just converts DSD to PCM. Lol.