IGNORED

iFi's Pro iDSD (official) - NEW Firmware - MQA and more.

On 26.04.2018 at 10:38 PM, austinpop said:

The days when rubidium clocks were considered the optimal for audio are long gone. Hopefully your engineers know this, and will tell you that rubidium (and cesium) clocks, while having outstanding long-term (resistance to drift) stability characteristics, do not have particularly good short-term stability (jitter or phase noise), which is the key to digital audio. This is reflected in the published phase noise characteristics. If you look at the published phase noise specs of the Perf 10 you referenced above, it is:

Phase noise (SSB)

<-130 dBc/Hz (10 Hz)
<-140 dBc/Hz (100 Hz)
<-150 dBc/Hz (1 kHz)
<-155 dBc/Hz (10 kHz)

In contrast, the published phase noise of an OCXO-based  Mutec Ref 10 is:

Phase noise dBc/Hz
1 Hz: ≤ -116
10 Hz: ≤ -145
100 Hz: ≤ -160
1000 Hz: ≤ -166
Noise floor: ≤ -170

I think the numbers speak for themselves. 

That is great news. Since I own an aforementioned Ref 10, it sounds like the low phase noise will benefit both audio and system clocks in the Pro iDSD. This makes me want to audition it. When are you releasing it again?!

75 ohm is a standard choice, so that makes sense.

We stated the SRS PERF-10 as the MINIMUM standard to improve materially over the internal 10MHz oscillator. The SRS PERF-10 does use a an excellent ovenised VCXO as the actual clock source, disciplined by the rubidium source for long term accuracy. 

Higher performance options (independently verified) are naturally also applicable. Just using any random 'rubidium' clock with either unverified or verified poor jitter performance (the case with many affordable rubidium clocks) will not result in improvements, but rather the opposite.

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

On 29.04.2018 at 4:30 AM, Superdad said:

The UpTone JS-2 can output 7.2 SMPS at 12V continuous all day long—with instantaneous peak capability well above that. :D

I’m excited to read that the Pro iDSD has an input range that includes 12V (the JS-2 truly shines with a real audio component such as a DAC—just ask the over 70 Mytek Brooklyn DAC owners with JS-2 :))

However, the fact that the current requirement of the Pro iDSD goes down as the voltage goes up does indicate the use of DC-DC switching regulators. Not necessarily a bad thing as the iFi folks are very good at engineering with those.

Alex, you do well and sell lots of your products. There's no need for you to promote here. We’re good, thanks!

;)

4 hours ago, thyname said:

@AMR/iFi audio This looks like a very interesting streaming DAC with headphones amp built in.

I would buy in a heart beat if it was Roon Ready.

Have you guys thought about having it Roon Ready certified? Many Roon users around... 

Thanks

We investigate with many popular options, yet some are not doable for time being.

4 minutes ago, buonassi said:

not sure this can be said for mobile audio - for which iDXD looks like it was designed

I was talking about iDSD.

And not sure what your comment means. You can stream via Roon with both mobile systems and not-so-mobile systems

2 hours ago, thyname said:

I was talking about iDSD.

And not sure what your comment means. You can stream via Roon with both mobile systems and not-so-mobile systems

ahhhh, accept my apologies please.  I totally thought I was on the new iDXD thread!  ignore all I said.  

In the meantime, Munich's High End 2018 is in the past, we were there and there was a chancce to listen to the full Pro stack there (Pro iDSD, iCAN and iESL) and our upcoming all in one no-compromise solution. If you were there, please share with us your impressions!

8.thumb.jpg.872fb5e829359b66d0cf43f5034dee34.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.2f1237a78f0dfc3a9139b54a10c653a0.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.df87b9d1da782e865ff3dc3d51867de9.jpg

30 minutes ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

our upcoming all in one no-compromise solution

Did I miss an announcement?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Pro iDSD - An easygoing explanation!

Part 1/1 – the rear panel

Introduction

Recently we posted two documents showing you Pro iDSD’s front panel and describing what the various knobs and switches do. In this document weve turned our attention to the DAC’s rear panel.

1.png.51da6d0589ec94b5af59b0c9488b634b.png

Analog output stage

Pro iDSD is a fully-balanced machine and as such has both XLR and RCA outputs – one pair of each. You can find them on the right side of the panel with a selector switch nearby to determine the operation mode.

2.jpg.1b5876c6130aec1748403ca3c5edcf7b.jpg

You can set the signal output to different levels for home (HiFi fixed or variable) or studio (Pro fixed or variable) use. Industry standard signal output levels apply:

·         Balanced output: 4.6V (+15.5dBu - HiFi) or 10V (+22dBu - Pro)

·         Single-ended output: 2.3V (HiFi) or 5V (Pro)

If variable mode is selected, then the output volume can be adjusted via the volume knob on the front panel.

Digital inputs

Pro iDSD offers a host of digital inputs, some of which are making their debut in iFis product range.

3.jpg.c168b7661840b8b1b43711ffd42c6a7c.jpg

Here they all are:

1.     Ethernet

If you need a wired connection directly from a router or Network Attached Storage (NAS) source, RJ-45 Ethernet input has got you covered.

2.     USB 'Type A’ source host

This input enables you to play music files from an external HDD or a USB drive (the former type should be self-powered from an external power supply). Once either external drive is connected to Pro iDSD, you can use the Muzo app to navigate and play them.

3.     USB 'Type B’ DAC input

This USB3.0 input is backwards-compatible with the USB2.0 standard and galvanically-isolated. It is meant to be used with PCs, laptops and music servers.

4.     S/PDIF Coaxial/Toslink combo digital input

If you are the happy owner of lets say a high-end CD transport, this combo S/PDIF input is there just waiting for you to use it.

5.     Micro SDHC card slot

Yes! Now you dont even have to have a laptop or a PC to use Pro iDSD. An SD card with MP3, FLAC or even DSD files can be used directly with Pro iDSD via the MUZO app.

6.     AES/EBU XLR digital input

This input is yet another alternative for users already equipped with high-end CD transports.

7.     WiFi antenna

Our WiFi infrastructure gives you a wide open door for streaming. Use the iFi streamer app, connect your Pro iDSD to a local WiFi network and Boom! – Apple Music, Audible, Spotify, TIDAL, Napster, Spotify Connect, QQPlay and many more streaming services are there to use.

·         It is also possible to enjoy Airplay network audio playback from iPhone, iPad and Mac computers.

Wirelessly, just about every music format up to 32 bit/192kHz can be streamed. However, the formats must be PCM-based. DSD is not supported.

4.jpg.c3de88b51252dd7a9ef7440f2870ddcc.jpg

8.     BNC digital input

Let’s say that you own a high-end transport, but its BNC output is audibly better than everything else. Luckily Pro iDSD has got you covered as it has a BNC input. Whats more its multifunctional. Read on for further details…

Clock system

You might have noticed that Pro iDSDs rear panel is equipped with not one but two BNC connectors and a small selector in-between. Let’s explain why.

The BNC connector on the left is multifunctional. While it can be a classic BNC digital input, it can also be used to sync to an external Atomic Clock (Stanford Researchs PRS-10, for example), a Digital Audio Reference Signal (DARS) according to AES-11 standard and the iDSD Pro clock link (10MHz).

Using the clock out a Pro iDSD can act as DARS or 10MHz clock master while, using the clock input, an iDSD Pro can be slaved to a standalone clock or another iDSD Pro. If using the iDSD Pro 10MHz clock link, all iDSD Pro in the system should be connected in a ring; this will not only synchronize all units, but it will also lower clock jitter further.

Once both products are connected, all digital data will be based on the clock inside the clock source and not the one inside Pro iDSD. In order for this feature to work, both machines are synchronized via two BNC connections; BNC Sync In (clock input) and BNC Sync Out (clock output).

5.jpg.5842973b25633a83927cb0438670cfa4.jpg

There are two reasons why we’ve implemented this unique functionality in the Pro iDSD:

·         All digital equipment in many recording studios is oftentimes synchronized with one standalone master clock device. We’re confident that Pro iDSD can be used in such an environment but in order to do so, it has to have the option to be connected to a separate master clocking deck.

·         Internal space limitation of Pro iDSD allowed us to equip it with the best clock and tech we could fit inside, but there’s room to maneuver still. If one has a really good (we mean REALLY good – Stanford Research Systems PERF10 or better) external clock, iFi audio has provided the option to try it out with Pro iDSD and go with what sounds best.

A small dial found in-between the BNC connectors allows you to choose one of four clock synchronization modes: Atomic, DARS, IOMHz and standalone.

6.jpg.5ac860c3b990aed963b8f9e33c62f984.jpg

DC-Loop-Out and power supply connection

The two small connections just above the external clocking dial of Pro iDSD will be familiar to iESL and Pro iDAC owners. The one on the left is a DC-Loop Out and its purpose is to feed another Pro range device from the Pro iDSD.

7.jpg.ed2f4ae8706e6369af4b8ba0f46e5e6d.jpg

This means that one external PSU can handle both Pro iDSD and Pro iCAN. You can even throw Pro iESL to the mix (connected via the HDMI interface found on the latter) and have three iFi Pro range decks operational via only one external PSU.

The input to the right of DC-Loop Out is a regular 15V/4A DC power input.

·          Tip: Any 9v to 18v DC power source with a minimum of 60VA rating can be used with the Pro iDSD (including vehicular, RV and boat-based 12V DC power). We strongly recommend the use of the included iPower Plus 15v. It offers the latest in power supply technology and is better and cleaner than any battery or aftermarket linear power supply.

For more information, please click on the link below:

·         https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi-audio-pro-idsd-the-official-thread.869144/

This is the place we’ve posted every piece of information about Pro iDSD so far.

That’s it for now but stay tuned, Pro iDSD inside coming up next!

Here's a review dated May 1

http://highfidelity.pl/@main-828&lang=en

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

iFi Audio Pro iDSD 

The official Launch release

0.thumb.jpg.7583de0487faecbf442e9baadb138160.jpg

Having sparked a revolution with its low-cost DACs that offered music fans portable 256 stereo for less than £500 a few years ago, iFi has maintained its position at the vanguard of the audio world with the launch of the ground-breaking Pro iDSD. There is simply nothing like it.

1.thumb.png.ea46ccf782bfc90b8c1a76847e74148b.png

We have paid great attention to every section of this DAC/headphone-amp/preamp – no stone has been left unturned. Tried and tested classic noise reduction techniques found in tube equipment have been combined with cutting-edge, 21st century technology to deliver a superlative performance.

The quad section uses a quad “stack” of Bit-Perfect DSD and DXD DACs by Burr-Brown in a custom “interleaved” configuration. This arrangement enables a total of eight pairs of differential signals to be used and mixed totalling four pairs of signals per channel.

In a nutshell

The iFi Pro iDSD is a revolutionary DAC that combines a number of different features to give your home audio system the best possible playback resolution and sound. It can handle all audio formats to DSD1024 or DSD512 or PCM 768K with user-selectable digital filters.

Wireless Playback

With LINKPLAY™  WiFi/network playback, built-in Spotify and Tidal, and wide protocol support for 32-Bit/192kHz and DSD64, the Pro iDSD can directly link to a router for online music play. This gives it the option to:

Play direct from SD card

Link to a router and directly stream (TIDAL/MQA, Spotify etc)

Use DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) via music stored on HDD

It’s taken a while to come to market but, boy, has it been worth it. This  innovative digital engine will shape the next generation of iFi products and they will rock the digital world.

The gang of four

2.png.e366c2153f0e2b75b6b48a3f783e81f1.png

A quad “stack” of Bit-Perfect DSD and DXD DACs by Burr-Brown work in a custom “interleaved” configuration so that up to eight pairs of differential signals can be used and mixed.

Digital Processing

3.jpg.3dee81eab8b8a44f77e6e70b8dec7be0.jpg

The new XMOS XU216 X-Core 200 Series 16-Core processor has a maximum of 2,000 MIPS (two billion instructions per second) calculation power in dual-issue mode as a USB interface.

Crysopeia FPGA Digital Engine

4.png.37914faa81a9a24fcdda6cfc13210bab.png

The FPGA excels, by handling the up-sampling duties to attain the DSD1024 audio format. In fact, the Pro iDSD can handle all audio formats to DSD1024 or DSD512 or PCM 768K with user-selectable digital filters.

Wireless playback

5.png.894d3641959047d1a8f71405385edfa5.png

With LINKPLAY™ WiFi/network playback, built-in Spotify and Tidal, and wide protocol support for 32-Bit/192kHz and DSD64, the Pro iDSD can directly link to a router for online music play.

Many format options

6.png.c988e3540bcb065637b9a8fd101e6490.png

It can handle all audio formats to DSD1024 or DSD512 or PCM 768K with user-selectable digital filters and also gives the user the option to listen to tracks via MQA.

7.thumb.png.f9e82d225b2970ff9792c99f58c6817d.png

Sample Rates: 

• PCM up to 768kHz
  • DSD up to 24.576MHz
  • DXD and double speed DXD (2xDXD)

Inputs:   

• USB (required for DSD, DXD and sample rates above 192KHz)
  • AES3 (XLR - single link)
  • SPDIF (RCA/Optical combo)
  • BNC multifunction In (SPDIF/AES3id In, DARS In, 10MHz In, Atomic clock in)
  • BNC multifunction Sync Out (DARS out, 10MHz out)

Outputs:   

• Balanced XLR at 4.6V (+15.5dBu - HiFi) or 10V (+22dBu - Pro)
  • Single-Ended RCA at 2.3V (HiFi) or 5V (Pro)
  • Headphones 6.3mm & SE 3.5mm Jack at 0.55V/2.1V/5V
  • Headphones BAL 2.5mm Jack at 1.13V/4.6V/10V
  • Headphones out 1,500mW RMS X 2 @ 64 ohm, 4,000mW max. 2 X @ 16 Ohm

Volume Control: 

• Balanced (quad) Alps potentiometer, motorised with IR remote control
  • XLR/RCA outputs can be selected as fixed level or adjusted
  • 6.3mm Headphone Jack is always adjusted

Other Functions: 

• Various digital and analogue filters can be selected for DSD and PCM up to 192KHz

PCM Filters:

• Bit perfect (no digital filter, minimal analogue filter)

44.1 - 192KHz, always used for 352.8 - 768kHz

• Bit perfect II (no digital filter, analogue filter corrects HF roll-off)

44.1 - 96kHz

• Minimum Phase (Filter minimises pre- and post-ringing)

44.1 - 192KHz

• Standard FIR (Brickwall Filter)

44.1 - 192KHz

• Additional fixed second order analogue filter @ 80kHz

DSD Filters: 

• Four different filters (selectable) with varying bandwidth
  • Additional fixed second order analogue filter @ 80kHz

The retail price of the Pro iDSD is:

• US $2,499 (ex-tax)
  • €2,749 (incl. VAT)
  • £2,499 (incl. VAT)

8.thumb.png.d8c1d0344242af0cd2a95e8a88954e7a.png

And lastly, Wojciech Pacuła of Polish HighFidelity.pl reviewed Pro iDSD and awarded it his Red Fingerprint. English version of this publication is to be found here:

http://www.highfidelity.pl/@main-3246&amp;lang=

image.png

Hi, What DSD Rates will be possible on Mac/HQ Player with IFi Pro DSD Dac?

I use the DSD over Dop.

HQ can be configured to do no oversampling, but I want to get DSD 1024 with PCM and DSD Files.

What if HQ sends Upsampled DSD 256 to the IFI?

Or is no upsampling from the software the way to go?

I hope the higher rates will be available on Mac!

Thanks, Jim Dukey