AMR/iFi audio

iFi's Pro iDSD (official) - NEW Firmware - MQA and more.

Rate this topic

I suppose that, in my system, the noise is fed into the preamp via the cable, since it stops when I change the input with the selector or the mute button.

[Synology DS218play NAS > Proximus BBox3 router] + HDPlex 200W lps > D-Link powerline adapters > Wireworld Platinium ethernet cable >  Ifi Pro iDSD streamer + Wireworld Electra 7 powercable > Esprit Eterna XLR cable > Gamut D3i preamp. + Esprit Eterna power cable > VTL XLR cable > Gamut M250 mkIII amp. > VTL cable >  Harbeth SHL5+ speakers + Rogoz stands - Accustic Arts active power strip (streamer & preamp.)

On 2/23/2019 at 4:43 PM, o.fz said:

I suppose that, in my system, the noise is fed into the preamp via the cable, since it stops when I change the input with the selector or the mute button.

It's possible, but we'd need to investigate further. Can you please shoot us a pm here: http://support.ifi-audio.com/

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

10 hours ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

It's possible, but we'd need to investigate further. Can you please shoot us a pm here: http://support.ifi-audio.com/

OK. I've just done it. Thank you.

[Synology DS218play NAS > Proximus BBox3 router] + HDPlex 200W lps > D-Link powerline adapters > Wireworld Platinium ethernet cable >  Ifi Pro iDSD streamer + Wireworld Electra 7 powercable > Esprit Eterna XLR cable > Gamut D3i preamp. + Esprit Eterna power cable > VTL XLR cable > Gamut M250 mkIII amp. > VTL cable >  Harbeth SHL5+ speakers + Rogoz stands - Accustic Arts active power strip (streamer & preamp.)

Pro iDSD & MQA

Some of the best things in life are worth waiting for...

1.png.4263eef279b71d134df50fa4789e3e01.png

The Pro iDSD firmware version 2.01 ‘Chilli con Carne’ is a ground-up complete re-write which totally replaced large chunks of XMOS code with all-new in-house developed new one, to reduce resource usage without losing functionality.

2.jpg.af29c1a9c4dd8a5aa213147dc0dd85a7.jpg

We wanted the best features for the Pro iDSD, including the full MQA decoder.

To make room for the full MQA decoder, the entire audio subsystem was streamlined, optimised and pared down in resource use WITHOUT affecting functionality. The MQA team also worked to maximise the efficiency of their code with hand-written assembler optimisations.

That also meant redoing USB Audio, S/PDIF Audio and I2S Audio (for Wifi Module).

The full source code package for the iDSD Pro is around 75 million characters. The Encyclopedia Britannica is ‘only’ 43million so just over half as ‘thin.’

3.jpg.72b2844063c136361275b35de4cd065f.jpg

In addition to the code re-work realized from earlier releases, there was also room for improved usability (hey, Pro iDSD is a very complex product after all), so we stepped up the testing which led to increased time between iterations. As you modify the firmware > you debug > you do limited testing (usually a few rounds in the loop) > you go to formal testing > you list the bugs and go back to the beginning. You get the gist.

It took us as long as it took because we want the product to be the best it can be. Nonetheless, we appreciate everyone’s patience!

The result? Version 2.01 (to our ears) sounds amazing.

Here's the link to the 2.01 FW for our Pro iDSD, enjoy!

(scroll down the page, files are just under the 'STEP 3:')

https://ifi-audio.com/products/pro-idsd/

46 minutes ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

Pro iDSD & MQA

Hmm.. I better should have waited with the update until tomorrow.. lol.

I downloaded the Win_iFi_Pro_iDSD_XMOS_V2.01.bin file and the update went smoothly but now I have the version 1.38 installed for some reason. And of course I have lost the MQA-ability of the 2.00 beta that was installed before. Could you check the download file please?

Bedtime here. Good night.

Mario

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

1 hour ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

Pro iDSD & MQA

1.png.4263eef279b71d134df50fa4789e3e01.png

The Pro iDSD firmware version 2.01 ‘Chilli con Carne’ is a ground-up complete re-write which totally replaced large chunks of XMOS code with all-new in-house developed new one, to reduce resource usage without losing functionality.

2.jpg.af29c1a9c4dd8a5aa213147dc0dd85a7.jpg

We wanted the best features for the Pro iDSD, including the full MQA decoder.

To make room for the full MQA decoder, the entire audio subsystem was streamlined, optimised and pared down in resource use WITHOUT affecting functionality. The MQA team also worked to maximise the efficiency of their code with hand-written assembler optimisations.

That also meant redoing USB Audio, S/PDIF Audio and I2S Audio (for Wifi Module).

The full source code package for the iDSD Pro is around 75 million characters. The Encyclopedia Britannica is ‘only’ 43million so just over half as ‘thin.’

3.jpg.72b2844063c136361275b35de4cd065f.jpg

In addition to the code re-work realized from earlier releases, there was also room for improved usability (hey, Pro iDSD is a very complex product after all), so we stepped up the testing which led to increased time between iterations. As you modify the firmware > you debug > you do limited testing (usually a few rounds in the loop) > you go to formal testing > you list the bugs and go back to the beginning. You get the gist.

It took us as long as it took because we want the product to be the best it can be. Nonetheless, we appreciate everyone’s patience!

The result? Version 2.01 (to our ears) sounds amazing.

Here's the link to the 2.01 FW for our Pro iDSD, enjoy!

(scroll down the page, files are just under the 'STEP 3:')

Do you know if the network functions were also worked on?

Alienware R7 with Paul Pang V2 USB PCIE -> iFi Pro iDSD -> McIntosh MHA100 -> Hifiman Susvara. Keeping it simple!

9 hours ago, Holzohr said:

I downloaded the Win_iFi_Pro_iDSD_XMOS_V2.01.bin file and the update went smoothly but now I have the version 1.38 installed for some reason. And of course I have lost the MQA-ability of the 2.00 beta that was installed before. Could you check the download file please?

The file is OK, but can you please turn your device off and reinstall it on a different USB port? We might have a glitch.

4 hours ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

The file is OK, but can you please turn your device off and reinstall it on a different USB port? We might have a glitch.

Ok, I tried a different USB port. Now I have 2.01 installed! Thank you!

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

Thanks a lot for this huge effort! It gives me much hope about some peculiar concerns of mine. 😁

Should I update to 2.01, if I'm not interested in MQA? Is there a complete list of the bugs the new firmware solves? 

Hi, I have installed 2 month ago the beta firmware, if I install the new 2.01 firmware, what are the differences I could notice?

The new firmware still support the MQA files?

On 2/21/2019 at 10:10 PM, Holzohr said:

I will be at home tomorrow afternoon then I will have a listen and besides I will try my Schiit Mani with the MC system. 

I have sold the Mani and am waiting for the iPhono 2 now.

And this issue with the beta 2.0 posted in the "other" thread is fixed now with 2.01. Thanks!

On 11/13/2018 at 10:50 AM, Holzohr said:

An issue I seem to have after switching from tube/tube+ mode to solid state shouldn't the tubes turn off? At least I think it was like this with the original firmware.

1 hour ago, danielet80 said:

Yes!

Hello Mr iFi,

I would be glad if I could get an answer to my question above: basically, is it worth to upgrade the firmware,  if I'm not interested in MQA, at the moment? Changing firmware is not something that I would do as a leisure, especially since it looks a bit complicated (for comparaison's sake, in my camera, I just have to put the new firmware on the memory card and turn it on).

Thank you. ☺

On 3/2/2019 at 1:26 PM, o.fz said:

Hello Mr iFi,

I would be glad if I could get an answer to my question above: basically, is it worth to upgrade the firmware,  if I'm not interested in MQA, at the moment? Changing firmware is not something that I would do as a leisure, especially since it looks a bit complicated (for comparaison's sake, in my camera, I just have to put the new firmware on the memory card and turn it on).

Thank you. ☺

Latest firmware = less bugs. Therefore yes, it's worth to upgrade regardless of whether you listen to MQA or not.

On 3/1/2019 at 9:47 PM, danielet80 said:

Hi, I have installed 2 month ago the beta firmware, if I install the new 2.01 firmware, what are the differences I could notice?

Yup!

I don't seem to be able to update my Pro iDSD with the new 2.01 firmware using either of my Mac computers (MBP 2017 or Mac Mini 2012). I was able to update to the prior firmware 2.0 using a friend's PC when that was released. Note, I have to use the Mac Mini when updating my Micro iDSD BL. I am using the supplied blue USB cable and have tried a couple of the Mac Mini and MBP ports.

1 hour ago, datasyd said:

I don't seem to be able to update my Pro iDSD with the new 2.01 firmware using either of my Mac computers (MBP 2017 or Mac Mini 2012). I was able to update to the prior firmware 2.0 using a friend's PC when that was released. Note, I have to use the Mac Mini when updating my Micro iDSD BL. I am using the supplied blue USB cable and have tried a couple of the Mac Mini and MBP ports.

Please contact us here: http://support.ifi-audio.com/

Thanks!

2 hours ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

Latest firmware = less bugs. Therefore yes, it's worth to upgrade regardless of whether you listen to MQA or not.

Less bugs? 😁

It's me or it sounds even more focused than before the update? It wouldn't be a small feat, as it was already a very accurate and precise streamer.

Les attaques (how do you say that in English - the attacks?) are stunning: sharp without a hint of harshness. 

On the other hand, I warry on myself, as I could indulge into false memories and confirmation bias. I should have another unit with the former firmware at hand to test it. If you had the intention to give me some little present, Mr Ifi, you know what to do. 😁

1 hour ago, o.fz said:

If you had the intention to give me some little present, Mr Ifi, you know what to do. 😁

Now now, this could potentially spoil you a wee bit too much, no? 😜

Yes, you're right. - I'll wait until tomorrow.

Btw, it must be before the Brexit.  After, I would have to pay high import taxes. 😩

I've just got an AC iPurifier. I noticed that the phase is on the "wrong" (right) side of the plug, compared to the continental norm (where it's supposed to be on the left side of the socket). Is it a British thing? Should I revert the iDSD's plug too? I ear differences, but they aren't huge, and it's difficult to decide which side is supposed to be the good one.

Just a stupid question.  I am not an owner of the Pro iDSD but I would like to now if I want to stream "Master" quality songs from Tidal.  How can I do it?  Using the MUZO app?

22 minutes ago, pat_kwok said:

Just a stupid question.  I am not an owner of the Pro iDSD but I would like to now if I want to stream "Master" quality songs from Tidal.  How can I do it?  Using the MUZO app?

Hi,

Please take a look at links to tutorial vids in our signature, these will guide you how to enable MQA via Tidal on your Pro iDSD. Thanks!