IGNORED

iFi's Pro iDSD (official) - NEW Firmware - MQA and more.

12 minutes ago, Newson said:

Sorry, I do not understand yet.

As a happy IFI Idac2 + Roon + HQplayer user I handle all audio signals for DSD256.
I plan to switch to IFI pro IDSD.

1) I ask you if I can continue using it in the same way, manipulate all signals to DSD1024 by HQplayer and / or

2) I can continue using only Roon, with IFI proIDSD to handle
  internal data to DSD1024.

I do not know if i was clear.

Summing up:

Is using IDSI Ifi Pro with Roon and HQplayer possible and can upsamplig or handle all audio signals for DSD 1024? So how is it for IFI Idac2?

The point is that you can’t use it as a Roon endpoint over Ethernet in the way you describe. For that you would need a Roon endpoint/Ethernet streamer between Roon and the DAC. 

You can use the DAC as you are describing over an input that isn’t ethernet, in other words, with USB if you want those high sample rates.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Okay, thanks for the answer. I use it with USB.

I will then have the same compatible with roon and HQplayer. This is great

100% Digital

Ifi Idsd Black + Iso regen + PC

Powered by Audiopax

Model 5 A3 + Model 88 MKII + Monitor Audio PL 200

43 minutes ago, Newson said:

Okay, thanks for the answer. I use it with USB.

I will then have the same compatible with roon and HQplayer. This is great

I am using it right now with our Roon Nucleus music server via USB (using the iDSD Pro's built in DSD 1024 up-sampling right now, not doing any up-sampling in Roon yet). I also have a i7 Mac Mini Running Roon Core and HQ Player (which is just doing up-sampling to 24/192 feeding into  our Wavelength Cosecant USB DAC  at this moment) with direct Ethernet connection to a Sonore Ultra-Rendu which I will be trying  with the iDSD Pro as well (using the Ultra-Rendu USB out into the iDSD Pro). We just got our first couple of iDSD Pro's yesterday, so am just at the running it in for several days phase right now. Also using it with the stock iFi power supply for now, will try a good linear power supply with it too at some time in the future.

Will be interesting to see how HQ Player DSD and PCM up-sampling compares to the iDSD Pro doing that (with native data inputted). Between the up-sampling/filtering options offered by HQ Player and the iDSD Pro, you can spend many days comparing the various permutations possible (if you want)!

IMG_1295(Edited).thumb.jpg.574b503e6e73e0f185a83b058c156798.jpg

---------------

Rich Brkich

Owner, Signature Sound

Liverpool, New York USA

FaceBook Page: http://www.facebook.com/Signature.Sound.HiFi

On 5/31/2018 at 4:27 PM, AMR/iFi audio said:

It's a fair bit more complicated than requests from people, though these surely motivate us to take needed actions. 

I understand there’s more to it, but here’s another request for Roon endpoint functionality to movitate you...!

I brought Roon two days ago, but I use the iDSD Pro directly connected to my computer by USB, the network option of Roon is not important to me, do you recommend a specific config in Roon to have the best sound from the iDSD Pro when connected in the same computer via USB?

Also does justify using the iDSD Pro in conjunction with the micro iUSB 3.0, I have one without use at the moment, is there any benefit of using it, or que galvanic isolation of que iDSD pro is superior or equivalent to the micro iUSB 3.0 or is this an unnecessary add-on with no benefit to the ifi iDSD Pro?

Thanks

On 7/1/2018 at 5:20 PM, applesnowleo said:

I brought Roon two days ago, but I use the iDSD Pro directly connected to my computer by USB, the network option of Roon is not important to me, do you recommend a specific config in Roon to have the best sound from the iDSD Pro when connected in the same computer via USB?

As for iDSD Pro and Roon, we don't have any specific recommendation.

On 7/1/2018 at 5:20 PM, applesnowleo said:

Also does justify using the iDSD Pro in conjunction with the micro iUSB 3.0, I have one without use at the moment, is there any benefit of using it, or que galvanic isolation of que iDSD pro is superior or equivalent to the micro iUSB 3.0 or is this an unnecessary add-on with no benefit to the ifi iDSD Pro?

iUSB3.0 won't do any harm to Pro iDSD, that's a given. Still, we do not expect significant improvements as the latter already has full galvanic isolation between that actual DAC and digital processing, thus is impervious to USB tweaks in a way which goes beyond 'just' having iUSB3.0 circuitry on-board. 

We would suggest to shift focus to here instead:

It's important to know that iUSB3.0 was designed to combat USB related issues on several fronts. It's not meant to improve a USB input in a DAC only, but in general  was developed to elevate performance of a PC/a laptop and an external HDD. What we want to say here is that if one takes care of externals, Pro iDSD will be essentially fed with a better signal and that's beneficial.

Software is yet another matter burdened with its own issues, please take a look at this document we wrote with Damien Plisson of Audirvana: http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/html/dp777_tech-papers_cmpDataBit4dummies.html

Our point is that it's good to not try to improve Pro iDSD alone as it can handle itself nicely but everything that comes before it. 

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

On 7/6/2018 at 3:56 AM, Em2016 said:

Hi @AMR/iFi audio

Does iDSD Pro support Chromecast? Or in the plans?

Roon now does support Chromecast so that would kill 2 birds with 1 stone, if possible.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-1-5-build-333-is-live-with-chromecast-support/45611/3

We roll with Muzo app and everything in this package.

Folks, below you'll find the review of our Pro iDSD written by Andrej Turok, a musician. This publication originally appeared in Finnish High and Style mag. Enjoy!

High and Style - Pro iDSD Review

In a compact package, we have an audiophiliac bomb that explodes with dazzling quality, versatility and technology. From the other Prague exhibition (see the report in this issue) we have taken away, apart from impressions and hearing experiences, a small box with something surprisingly different. EXaudio has borrowed a premium amplifier with high-end transducers for the test, proud of the Professional Tube / Solid-State DAC / Headphone-amp prediction. Well, then.

1.thumb.png.64eaefa75540e4ba007707c7f2dbd792.png

It is not a shame to claim that iFi once again shuddered the digital world. Setting up the revolutionary QUAD core Burr Brown chip introduces an entirely new quality to the upcoming generation of their products. The unfamiliar compact displays  benefits such as, complete galvanic isolation of all inputs, four DAC sections, a variety of digital- including Bit-Perfect Direct-to-Print mode, USB 3.0 Type B and USB 3.1 Type C self-powered, the newly developed SDIF AMR, including the implementation of the new HD-VDi (HD Electronic Digital Input) solid state, cache, and the Global Master Timing® timer. The entire X-Core 200 processor is the X-Core 200. The all-new XMOS XU216 X-Core generation with a maximum of 2000 MIPS (two billion instructions per second) can work in dual mode as a USB interface and can decode all signals until sampling 768 kHz / 32 bits and DSD512 as well as streaming resources from the wi-fi network.

Construction

The sympathetic silver brick has asymmetrically placed rotary vents with the eye of the lamp in the epicenter at the top of the carriage. The front panel has two dimensional potentiometers on the edges - the left-hand selector, the volume selector on the right. In addition, the first is a smaller "sweep" to set the selected digital filter. At the very center of the Nautilus submarine is a circular OLED display. Here is a large jack on the headphone jack, a small three-position "

"sensitivity (gain) bounded by SE and BAL inputs. The rectangle of the angular "lady" provides rich connectivity. From left to right symmetrical as well as asymmetrical (XLR and RCA) outputs plus aluminum adjusting screws with Pro (Var), Pro (Fixed), HiFi (HFI) and Hifi (Fixed) positions. Upstream to the center is the LAN connector, then Host and Device inputs, coaxial and optic, XLR, SDC shaft above, BNC Sync in and Sync out down, sync mode screw, and finally power up from external power and DC loop out. Inside the intestines, the sections are separated by two massive compartments, the red printed circuit boards are precisely embedded in the top components. The main "volume" potentiometer (Balanced Analogue Volume) is from ALPS.

2.thumb.png.7488091229e82758f55c1fff43269325.png

Practice + Listening First, I took the machine into the studio and attached it to my "brand new" rack with 64-bit architecture. I caught up with something from my current work, but also from the archive of record varieties of all sorts of genres and origins in resolution 96/24 and 192/24. Sennheiser HD 650 classics are used as headphones. The machine works with the top Burr-Brown DSD and DXD DAC in a special configuration that lets you use and mix up to eight different signals, which in practice means four pairs of signals per channel. Wow! The FPGA (Integrated Circuit for Post-Production Configuration) provides excellent digital remastering. Four-element 64-element transducers feature 256 element per channel. I was hoping for the noble sculpture of the sound sculpture. The outstanding performance relied on an unprecedented frequency range with heavier heights than the toad of a toddler, a medium filled with informative aliquots and basses tighter than the Cumbulka Doñana. I have also tried to connect with my active Dynaudio DBM50 studio monitors. Their sound I have in my ear deeper than punker piercing. My EMU 1820m sounds are also 192/24, but here I thought fine texture even more precise - it's just a machine of a new generation and you will not make progress. Then I picked up some high-definition DVD-A discs and compared the work of the modified converter on the Panasonic RA 71 to the way the things the test machine is. The difference is obvious. Again stems from the finer miniature, smoother heights, more opulent space and vibrant dynamics. I used the ability to listen to music from an external HD (through the optics) through the headphones and Stark Jane speakers. Christmas came in early May.

iFi PRO iDSD

I'm a pacifist, but I would kill for this connection (mosquitoes). Wi-Fi network streaming of the most essential services is also cool. MQA decoding (Master Quality Authenti- cated) approximates the sound of the air to the contact with the cable or optical fiber. Supporting many relevant protocols, including Airplay, along with the already mentioned fixed memory and SD card, gives you so many options that you can be put to death while not having one and the same title for years. If there is a flicker (for any reason) frosted or unstable, there are digital filters, sampling or jitter reduction thanks to accurate clocks, so you can adjust any starter in a desirable form. Voila!

Conclusion - For two-and-a-half thousand euros, there's an incredibly burgeoning knot of technology with which you're in the sound jungle better than Rambo. Nothing will surprise you, the possibilities are practically unrestricted and open to the future. Above all, however, the sound quality will get you (just like me). This apparatus is immensely musical, accurate, does not stain, does not disappoint the body, and if some body painting is needed, then it is ready to allow your hearing the acoustic adaptation you want. The soundtrack makes the iFi Pro iDSD champion almost without competition!

Pros

+ universal, timeless component

+ great sound

+ does not have a major competitor

Cons

- I just guess the price, which despite all of them

the benefits are not for everyone.

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

:) I'll be receiving one for review soon.

I look forward to it too. This review was sketchy.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

4 hours ago, lmitche said:

Rajiv,

Will you have a DSD512 source (Hqplayer and/or Roon) available for this review?

Larry

No, but I'm open to ideas.

My whole chain is optimized on the low power end of the spectrum, with the Zenith SE as my music server. Obviously, this machine does not have the horsepower to do DSD512 upsampling, but on the flip side, the combination of SE, tX-USBultra and Ref-10 provides outstanding SQ.

Even absent DSD512 upsampling upstream of the DAC with HQPlayer, I am very interested to evaluate other unique aspects of the Pro iDSD, a few of which are:

• the internal DSD512 and DSD1024 upsampling
  • the use of external power supplies like the JS-2 and even the SR-7
  • the use of a 10MHz reference clock via my Mutec Ref 10.

But with that said, I have been debating how to incorporate DSD512 upsampling into my domain, without throwing out all the other optimizations. Nuno at Innuos has promised to get me NAA running on the SE, but it has not happened yet. However, even with NAA, isn't it the case that some DACs only support native DSD through their Windows drivers?

I could consider temporarily using an sMS-200ultra in my chain, running NAA, but I'd have to confirm whether it supports iFi DACs in native DSD.

And then there's the small matter of - I don't have a machine in house with a suitably powerful processor. Just for my benefit, what is the threshold for DSD512, with the xtr filter? i7-7700 or better? Or even more powerful?

Anyway - I'm not making any promises I'll be able to incorporate DSD512 upsampling in this evaluation of the Pro iDSD. If it happens, great. What I would hope is that all the other aspects of the evaluation still make for a compelling review. If it doesn't, I'm sure I'll hear about it!

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

My whole chain is optimized on the low power end of the spectrum, with the Zenith SE as my music server. Obviously, this machine does not have the horsepower to do DSD512 upsampling, but on the flip side, the combination of SE, tX-USBultra and Ref-10 provides outstanding SQ.

Even absent DSD512 upsampling upstream of the DAC with HQPlayer, I am very interested to evaluate other unique aspects of the Pro iDSD, a few of which are:

But with that said, I have been debating how to incorporate DSD512 upsampling into my domain, without throwing out all the other optimizations. Nuno at Innuos has promised to get me NAA running on the SE, but it has not happened yet. However, even with NAA, isn't it the case that some DACs only support native DSD through their Windows drivers?

I could consider temporarily using an sMS-200ultra in my chain, running NAA, but I'd have to confirm whether it supports iFi DACs in native DSD.

And then there's the small matter of - I don't have a machine in house with a suitably powerful processor. Just for my benefit, what is the threshold for DSD512, with the xtr filter? i7-7700 or better? Or even more powerful?

Anyway - I'm not making any promises I'll be able to incorporate DSD512 upsampling in this evaluation of the Pro iDSD. If it happens, great. What I would hope is that all the other aspects of the evaluation still make for a compelling review. If it doesn't, I'm sure I'll hear about it!

Hi Rajiv,

I am sure you will write a great review, with or without including DSD512 support. I was just curious as for some of us, dsd512 upsampling is the only way we listen to music.

Thanks,

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

13 hours ago, austinpop said:

A major overhaul would be the use of the IFI IDSD pro with HQplayer and Upsampling for dsd 512.
I use HQplayer with IFI Idac2 and upsamplig for DSD256. How sounds good! So I want to go for the T + A DAC 8 and upsamplig for DSD512

Or invest in IDSD Pro if you have better audio quality.

100% Digital

Ifi Idsd Black + Iso regen + PC