IGNORED

iFi's Pro iDSD (official) - NEW Firmware - MQA and more.

Has anyone messed with Pro iDSD's output setting? I have mine at the default hifi setting. To run it as a preamp, you turn it to variable correct? 

Alienware R7 with Paul Pang V2 USB PCIE -> iFi Pro iDSD -> McIntosh MHA100 -> Hifiman Susvara. Keeping it simple!

3 minutes ago, applesnowleo said:

Yes you are correct, hifi Var, I am using it as a pre amp playing directly to amplified speakers.

Cool. I'm going to compare it tonight as pure dac -> MHA100 and dac/pre-amp -> MHA100. My guess is the preamp function is mostly for speaker amps that don't have a volume control.

Alienware R7 with Paul Pang V2 USB PCIE -> iFi Pro iDSD -> McIntosh MHA100 -> Hifiman Susvara. Keeping it simple!

6 minutes ago, applesnowleo said:

For me is a simple setup, only one cable for the speakers. And 2 usb cables one for the iUSB 3.0 and another for the DAC.

It's a very simple setup and gives me a lot of musical information, with a pre amp in the setup I have to put another cable between the iDSD Pro and the Pre, and that could degrade in my opinion the sound, and the characteristic of the cable will also change the sound signature a little or a lot more, at least this was the shortest and purest solution I have found.

BTW, do you prefer solid state, tube or tube+ mode? I feel as a DAC, the solid state is by far the best sounding option for my setup. 

2 hours ago, applesnowleo said:

Is there a way of turn off wifi on the iDSD, I have searched and did not find how to turn this feature off.

Thanks.

How did you get connected to wifi? I’m trying to figure that one out. I have been using ethernet so far.

2 minutes ago, jimdukey said:

Any Mac users have the IDSD Pro?

And what about the Tube+ Mode?

I know Tube vs Solid State was mentioned already, not sure if it was Tube +.

Tube+ mode still sounds worse than Solid State mode. It takes away the awesome transparency and clarity away but doesn’t add much in terms of the typical tube goodness. For iDSD the magic is in the solid state for sure. 

1 minute ago, jimdukey said:

Thanks!!

What DSD Rates are Mac Users getting, and liking?

Don't get whether it gets DSD 512 on Mac, since the Dac is doing the Conversion.

And what Software Players?

I use HQ most often, but have A+, MC21and even Decibel.

I like DSD Upsampling, DSD 128 is the highest rate I get now.

IDSD does digital filters to upsample to DSD512/1024. It shouldn’t matter how your Mac handles the files. 

Anyone using the Pro iDSD with an USB conditioner? The iDSD is already galvanic isolated, so I wonder how much would it improve with something like an Iso Regen.

So you guys think, adding an Iso Regen with LPS may not make that big of a difference given already excellent USB implementation? Micro iUSB 3.0 is basically built into Pro iDSD which is similar to the IR based on my understanding.

Which mode (solid, tube, tube+) and filter is everyone using? I'm running DAC mode and have settled on Tube+ and Apodising. I'm still confused as if the tubes act only on the amp circuit or also on the DAC only mode. 

Anyone has tried Iso Regen or Micro/Ultrarendu with the Pro iDSD? I would like to get one of these to go with Pro iDSD. Just want to see if anyone has firsthand experience. 

4 hours ago, applesnowleo said:

A friend lend me an SMS200 ultra for a few days for me to listen the iDSD Pro removing the direct USB connection to the Mac Pro Late 2013, so the Pro iDSD is playing directly connected to the SMS 200 Ultra with a SBooster power supply using the Roon software on the Mac to stream the the SMS200, and snake oil or not it has made a substantial diference, so substantial that I am currently accounting for the monthly budget to be able to fit these two pieces into my audio system.

The only downside the iDSD Pro can have at the moment is that the software has not included until now specific support for iDSD Pro. Audirvana almost stopped development of Mac resolving the windows quirks and Roon supports ifi products more or less, at least it supports the USB protocol.

That's good to hear. Some say SMS 200 ultra sounds more musical, and Ultrarendu has more clarity and detail. I'm usually a musical guy. I might do the same as you. Did you try DSD files? On another thread, some one said the Ultra had skipping issues with DSD files, but another person said it wasn't the case.

16 minutes ago, applesnowleo said:

Sorry I did not respond to the DSD Question until now it played DSD256 and DXD352 without any skipping I use normal Cat6 cables in my home. Next Month I will buy some audiophile network cables to see how they affect the sound.

There is a Native DSD option on the SMS200Ultra but I do not know if the iDSD Pro support's it, so I am using DSD over DOP option.

The result is musical, transparent, detailed there is much that benefits from this small equipment with the iDSD Pro.

English is not my main language so if any error occur give me some discount.

I'm kind of hesitant dropping $1000 + for something that improves signal, but if it really is that big a difference, it's worth it. In all honesty, iDSD is so good as is, anything more is just icing on the case. But this hobby is as much about the icing as the cake itself.

28 minutes ago, LLS said:

Hi all

As an ifi-fan I have built up a pretty musical system consisting of idsd micro BL powered by iUSB3/igemini and feeding into an itube2 for output on an all-NHT 2.1 system. For headfi, I have the ican pro for my HD800 and Elears. I love the liquid musicality and the tweaking options, but the idsd pro will simplify the chain.

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare an ifi setup similar to mine with a simple idsd pro--ican pro combo? Would have loved to trial an idsd pro at home but the local agent does not have a home loan arrangement. 

I had the BL, pro ican HD800s all at one point. I can tell you with confidence that Pro iDSD may be the only thing you need if you are keeping HD800 and Elear. Pro iDSD is too weak to drive Susvaras, but for the HD800 you should be just fine. From the DAC standpoint, the Pro iDSD is just so much better than the BL. They are not in the same stratosphere. No real reason to compare the 2. You may be inclined to sell everything in your chain because Pro iDSD is a better DAC, good enough amp, and has micro iUSB3.0 built in.

41 minutes ago, applesnowleo said:

I didn't mention, my Roon core is installed on a Synology DS3615xs, and it works very well, I do not use upsampling, but tried for curiosity the upsample to DSD256 to the Pro iDSD and it works perfectly in my setup.

Using the iDSD Pro playing only by network cable is something to experiment by all owners of the iDSD Pro, the iDSD Pro produces a sound that is something to remember in this mode. The soundstage, separation and musicality is completely on another level that the one from a noise source with a poor USB Cable, and gives you a picture of the iDSD alone can acomplish.

What does your chain look like in this case? iDSD is not a Roon endpoint so you can't just tell Roon to play off iDSD as a network streamer right?

Someone told me using iphone/ipad as Roon endpoint with CCK adapter -> Jitterbug or equivalent -> DAC can sound as good or better than Ultrarendu + LPS. The pro IDSD already has micro iUSB, so it's another layer of noise reduction. I'm going to try this setup. I can't get around that Roon costs so much because I have a lot of Asian music, so some of the benefits of Roon may not be all there. But I'm down with improvind sound with an $30 camera adapter. I'm going to download the Roon trial. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking about adding either an Iso Regen with LPS or microRendu with LPS to the Pro iDSD chain. Given my current setup, which option should sound the best? 

1 minute ago, firedog said:

the mRendu has similar cleanup circuitry to the isoRegen (more like the Regen) built in; and since the Pro iDSD also has USB cleanup circuitry, seems like the iso would be overkill. Get the mRendu and add the functionality (and possibly better sound) of the streamer. 
Are you not satisfied streaming to the Pro iDSD?

Streaming to iDSD sound fine but I can only control it with Muzo with DLNA server setup on Jriver. There way Muzo populates the tracks is very finicky. Maybe microRendu sounds very similar with pro Idsd from PC USB. I'm just curious.

7 hours ago, firedog said:

The mRendu is a great item and gives you pretty much limitless possibilities of SW control between it's various modes. You can find a way to use almost any SW available for playback with it, other than a few closed proprietary systems. 

Anyone using a microRendu or ultrarendu with Pro iDSD?

8 minutes ago, applesnowleo said:

Hello, I am using Roon with the Pro iDSD and an SMS 200 Ultra, and this works very well, DSD plays over DOP and I hope they include native on the next Eunhasu update, they support the micro and nano in native DSD and the ID is the same of the Pro iDSD so is very possible this will happen.

Roon does not support the Pro iDSD, it supports it with airplay protocol only, but airplay is very limited and poor compared to native RAAT support, so audio will be downsample to the airplay quality and that's terrible. 

The need for the RAAT protocol made me buy an SMS200 Ultra, after investing on the Roon infrastructure this is a need for future acquisitions. The combination of the SMS200 Ultra and Pro iDSD is impressive, but very expensive because the SMS 200 Ultra works best with an upgraded power supply.

If the RAAT protocol was included in the iDSD Pro the need for a SMS200 or other device like this could not be justified, to not talk about the added investment at least in my case.

This makes sense. I was trying to get Roon to play through iPad as endpoint -> Pro iDSD via CCK adapter. It would play like 2 seconds then everything stops. 

2 minutes ago, applesnowleo said:

I have a pretty stable network connection, I do not use the wireless on the iDSD Pro, the wireless protocol on the iDSD I think is only 2.4ghz, and if is only 2.4ghz wireless, simply forget the wireless and go to wired connection is faster and stable. I have no audio dropout's in Roon.

If you play audio from Roon to the iDSD Pro, Roon has to downsample the file to be compatible with Airplay supported format, so starting the track could have a little delay. With a streamer play has no lag, and works as expected with all formats that the pro IDSD Supports.

Appleplay works. What I was trying to do is use iPad Pro as Roon endpoint and run a CCK again to Pro iDSD via USB. Others have reported excellent sound quality using this method with other DACs. Some say better than Ultrarendu. Anyways I tried it, I can get like 2 seconds of audio then Roon just cuts off. I think I need to wait for Roon to support Pro iDSD as an USB DAC.

27 minutes ago, Newson said:

I currently use the IFI Idsd black and HQplayer + room.
The upsampling for DSD512 sounds fantastic using my PC.

The question:

Does anyone who owns the Idsd Pro compared the upsampling to DSD512 using the pro Idsd x HQplayer using the PC?

I have. I have settled on DSD512 after giving all the filters a good run. To my ears HQP's upsampling is not adding anything more, so I went back to use Iriver for better interface. 

6 hours ago, Newson said:

I regret the indifference and / or absence interest (mutual?) In support of Roon.....

thanks Gordec

I don't have Roon any more. I think if I still have Roon I would still use HQ Player with it's CUDA offload to GPU. I'm not quite sure what you are asking :).

15 hours ago, Newson said:

Sorry my dear for my English.

I did not refer to you.

The IFI pro Idsd is a good product.

But, for me to buy .... a good integration with Roon + HQplayer is required ..☹️

I don't think Roon endpoint is ever coming for pro Idsd, but you can always use microrendu, sotm, or even an iPad to run pro Idsd as a Roon endpoint. Roon randomly assigns Asian music ID tags and won't let me customize it, so I had to give up on it.

1 hour ago, Stings said:
1 hour ago, Stings said:

I tried using the MUZO Player app to play from a USB flash drive that i inserted into the Pro IDSDs USB-A slot. Whenever i try to play a new song the Pro IDSD locks up and i have to power cycle it to get it running again.  Spotify works fine but I can’t play from the USB drive. When a song crashes the IDSD I am no longer able to play from any source. The network level of the iDSD freezes. The wifi disapears and the device also disappears from the network until I power cycle the Pro iDSD. Its like it is having a problem knowing if it should be looking at the network or the USB input.

Muzo is the only option for playing from a USB device? There is no internal GUI right?

1 hour ago, Stings said:

I tried using the MUZO Player app to play from a USB flash drive that i inserted into the Pro IDSDs USB-A slot. Whenever i try to play a new song the Pro IDSD locks up and i have to power cycle it to get it running again.  Spotify works fine but I can’t play from the USB drive. When a song crashes the IDSD I am no longer able to play from any source. The network level of the iDSD freezes. The wifi disapears and the device also disappears from the network until I power cycle the Pro iDSD. Its like it is having a problem knowing if it should be looking at the network or the USB input.

Muzo is the only option for playing from a USB device? There is no internal GUI right?

Is your USB drive FAT32 format or NTFS? Only FAT32 works.

1 hour ago, Stings said:
1 hour ago, Stings said:

What is the USB-B looking connector on the ifi idsd pro? It is different than the standard USB-B to USB-A cable connectors? Is this so we have to buy ifi USB cables? Will our normal USB-B cables work? If not, where do I buy a longer 5’ USB-B to USB-A cable from ifi, that or an adapter?

Regular USB B cables work fine.