IGNORED

iFi's Pro iDSD (official) - NEW Firmware - MQA and more.

Hello everybody, another pretty happy owner of the Pro IDSD here for about 4 weeks. I use the USB input for Roon and the ethernet port (that I really like) for LMS. The UPnP/DLNA-bridge plugin (thanks to Philippe) makes the Pro iDSD to a Squeezebox. And with activated DoP flag you can stream DSD64. Please have a look at the attached pic.

For some reason the Pro iDSD "surprised" me with kind of relay clicks this morning. I had this issue maybe twice so far and power cycling did fix it but this morning I really thought my DAC is kind of broken. Power cycling didn't help at all. The strange thing is the clicks have vanished now. Is this a known issue? I am going to mail the ifi support, too. I have uploaded two video clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XYAimlzRVE&list=WL&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOqFWWjHHy8&list=WL&index=1

Thank you,

Mario

idsdprolan.jpg

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

On 9/1/2018 at 3:03 PM, Holzohr said:

For some reason the Pro iDSD "surprised" me with kind of relay clicks this morning.

Update! It seems my USB cable (Supra) caused these clicks. Is that possible? I had these clicks yesterday morning and today again when switching on the DAC. After a while and several power cyclings the clicks have vanished yesterday but today I got the idea to remove the USB cable and voilá! No more clicks. It seems to work now (with my old Nuforce USB cable) *knocking on wood*

What else? I am waiting for this adaptor from China for my Sennheiser HD 660S.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2018 at 6:21 PM, Holzohr said:

Update! It seems my USB cable (Supra) caused these clicks. Is that possible? I had these clicks yesterday morning and today again when switching on the DAC. After a while and several power cyclings the clicks have vanished yesterday but today I got the idea to remove the USB cable and voilá! No more clicks. It seems to work now (with my old Nuforce USB cable) *knocking on wood*

What else? I am waiting for this adaptor from China for my Sennheiser HD 660S.

Ok, another update.. Supra USB cable is ok but very stiff and the USB port of my ifi Pro iDSD seems to be "whacky" a bit. But everything is ok now. And I got the adaptor. The Sennheiser HD 660S comes with an additional balanced cable so only such a adaptor is needed.

ifi1.jpg

ifi2.jpg

Btw, I own a microRendu for two weeks and - 2-3 days ago - I noted that native DSD playback was not possible though everything seemed to be right in the Roon settings (DSD512). There was only noise to hear. Well, I emailed Jesus from Sonore yesterday about my problem and he recommended me to update the SonicOrbiterOS. I was confused a bit because my µR already already had the latest version 2.6 but Jesus wrote: just press the update button, then reboot and retest. What to say, voilá! Problem solved! Version is still 2.6 but native DSD playback is possible now. I guess it will be time for a more potent computer for the DSD512 upsampling thing now.

What I like with the Rendu is the SonoreUPnP app that makes a UPnP/DLNA streamer Roon-ready and yes, it works with the ethernet port of the ifi Pro iDSD. The drawback is to me it uses the Squeezebox protocol so I have to decide either I use the ethernet port for LMS or Roon. The app works very well so far, no matter of PCM or DSD64 (DoP) playback. Neither glitches between the formats.

ifi3.jpg

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Kelly said:

So what do you mean more specifically? Does that mean Roon can in fact play to the iFi just with reduced capability? Perhaps using upnp or LMS protocol? Have you done it successfully?

If you have a Rendu then you can use the ethernet input with help of the Sonore UPnP bridge app. 

Posted October 5

Of course I hope for an Roon ready update. More than for a MQA ready update in this case.

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, danielet80 said:

Regarding the beta firmware, I read in the download section of your website that fw 5.30 "cookies & cream"  active MQA during MQA playback, so I'm a bit confused... can you explain me the MQA question?

Pls have a look at my comment

3 minutes ago, danielet80 said:

Hi Holzohr, to enable full MQA decode did you have install the beta firmware 2.0 or the 5.30 available on IFI website?

The beta firmware 2.0 that you get by email from ifi-support. The version 5.30 is not for the Pro iDSD.

39 minutes ago, o.fz said:

My question is: is it really impossible to get continuous playback from the Pro iDSD, but with the less than ideal Proton application?

Hi, I have the LMS (Squeezebox server) running on my NAS (Synology) with the UPnP/DLNA-bridge plugin and no problems with gapless playback. Bubble UPnP should work, too. Maybe you can install the MinimServer on your NAS.

Never heard about these Hi-Fi Cast or Neutron apps so far.

1 hour ago, o.fz said:

I confirm that Bubble doesn't play gapless, either with MinimServer, unfortunately. :(

You should find the BubbleUPnP Server among the community apps on your Synology package center. Please install it additionally beside the MinimServer. It is an add-on for UPnP/DLNA-servers and supports Linn's OpenHome mode. Then install the BubbleDS Next app on your tablet or smartphone.

I was using the MinimServer with BubbleUPnP Server "on top" a couple of years ago and gapless playback has worked this way, definitely. 

1 minute ago, gordec said:

Anyone knows if micro/ultrarendu or SMS 200 supports Pro iDSD? I want try to go streaming route purely for better SQ. It's already awesome with Paul Pang USB card and Uptone JS2 feeding the USB and Pro iDSD, but I wonder I can squeeze a little bit more out of it with a network renderer. It may be fools gold.

The Rendu do via Sonore's UPnP Bridge app: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/29373-ifi-audio-pro-idsd-official-thread-its-happening-folks/?page=17&tab=comments#comment-882470

10 hours ago, gordec said:

How do you feel it sounds coming from microrendu vs straight out of USB?

I find the ethernet input amazing soundwise. Indeed I have prefered it versus the USB output of the microrendu. Not sure if it was due to the ethernet input or Squeezelite or all together. Ifi seems to have implemented a big buffer. It takes about one minute until the playback stops after unplugging the LAN-cable.

Btw I have sold my microrendu. I was thinking about the ultrarendu but now I use a NUC instead with Jussi's NAA ramroot image. The ethernet port is reserved for my LMS, running Philippe's UPnP/DLNA-bridge plugin. I think Sonore is using his plugin for the rendu app.

• AMR/iFi audio changed the title to iFi Audio PRO iDSD - The Official Thread

The ifi ps for my Pro iDSD seems (not really it seems. it does) to cause a lot of EMI. I have already suspected this because I always could hear an unsteady noise out of my active speakers (with no music playback). Not from my listening place but when I am close to the speakers. I use the pre-amp feature of the Pro iDSD. At least I didn't have this kind of noise with my former DAC/pre-amps (Oppo HA-1, PS Audio DS DAC)

I have made two clips. Sorry for the quality.

EMI by ifi power supply

EMI by HDPLEX LPS 200 (19v output adjusted to 15v)

I wonder if my ifi power supply is faulty or if it is typical behaviour for this kind of ps. The HDPLEX does an amazing job btw.

Cheers

Mario

11 hours ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

Can you please shoot us a message here: http://support.ifi-audio.com/

Yes, thanks. That I will do.

13 hours ago, o.fz said:

Hi Mario,

This is interesting. I've also noticed that the iPi is rather on the noisy side. At idle it produces a level of noise I never heard with my old CD player. So I also tried the HDPlex thing. It's less noisy, but it changes a lot the iPi's sound. As I bought it for its fantastic sound quality, I didn't kept the HDPlex for more than 2 or 3 hours in use and went back to the original power supply, that I definitively prefer.

If the noise is a problem for you, you may try a symmetric (XLR) connection with your preamp. It will be less noisy.

Having the HDPlex at hand, I made a curious experiment: I put it on my router and my NAS. The result has been incredible: I got a much quieter sound, with more air between the instruments and a better soundstage (a cliché, I know, I can't help, it was so). Clearly, their cheap power supplies produced a lot of noise, that was probably fed into the DAC through the Ethernet connection. So, the HDPlex stays here, for an unexpected use.

You may also like the Wireworld Platinium Ethernet cable,  which works very well with the iPi. Its rather pricey, but it has no rival among the other cables I tried.

Olivier

Hi Olivier,

thank you for the feedback. I have a symmetric connection between the Pro iDSD and my active speakers. The HDPLEX (the model from last year with absolutely no hum) ist still feeding the Pro iDSD at the moment but I will replace it again with the ifi ps later.

About the EMI from ifi's ps.. not sure if it has an influence on the DAC side but it definitively has an influence on the other side, in my case the Schuko-side. It gives EMI back to the other power outlets. Btw. that's in contrary to the switching ps that UptoneAudio delivers with the LPS-1.2. The UptoneAudio ps even seems to act like a EMI reducer in my system. Strange..

About ethernet, I use wireless connection between router and the ifi Pro iDSD. Well, I still have a 12V ifi iPower that I could use for my router.

1 hour ago, pl1jns said:

Mine is noisy too. If I turn the amp volume up with no music playing i get a lot of hash clicks and pops. This doesnt happen with a CD player connected. I have also tried it with a different power supply and it isnt that.

I already have a support ticket going had replies but no solution yet

Thank you for the feedback, too! Yes, it must be the ifi power supply. The Pro iDSD accepts input voltage from DC 9V/6.7A to 18V/3.35A so I am thinking about a Keces P8 mono 9/12V 8A or dual 9/12V - 12/15V 4A. Though not really keen to spend € 699. 

42 minutes ago, pl1jns said:

My noise is definitely not the power supply as I tried a different one and the noise was still there. I wouldnt assume its the power supply unless you have checked it with another one

Ah ok. Out of interest what different ps did you try with the Pro iDSD? In case the Pro iDSD itself produces the noise the HDPLEX atleast seems to block it from entering the surroundings in my case. But I have to agree with @o.fz feeding the Pro iDSD by the ifi power supply and the sound is more "crispy" and "opens up". I guess I have to order such a Keces P8.

I also played with the volume knob a bit, turning up and down (with no music). At first there was noise and some crackles(?) coming from the speakers but after some moves more this kind of sound vanished.

Thank you. I have read Rajiv's review. I fear I will never be owner of a PH power supply. 🙂

Another topic: thanks to the findings of DC from JPLAY forum it is possible with help of Phillipe's UPnP-bridge server (indeed a plugin for LMS) to stream from Roon via Squeezebox/UPnP to JPLAY Femto (USB). Either via kernel streaming, wasapi or asio.

The side effect of installing the UPnP server is it makes streaming possible from Roon to the ethernet input of the ifi Pro iDSD, too. It works like Sonore's UPnP-app but in this case you don't need a Rendu.

I am still new to Jplay. The asio driver from ifi comes with a control panel for latency and buffer settings. Setting the latency to minimal makes a DAC Link of 1000 Hz on the Jplay settings possible. That's what everyone want if I understood it right. The latency is on "safe" by default. A DAC Link of 700 Hz was the highest possible with latency on safe.

51 minutes ago, RichB said:

The most noticeable occurrence was with a Joule-Electra preamp which is about 20 years old.... the all tube phono stage in it (sitting about 3 feet away horizontally from the iDSD pro) in MC gain mode was clearly picking up interference which was rather audible from the speakers... less so in MM mode, but still there. Turning off the iDSD Pro made the interference  (like that mentioned above by OFZ) made it go away... 

Interesting. I have the same issue with a Schiit Mani when I use my MC high output system. Less with my MM system. I have to turn off the ifi Pro iDSD especially when I want to use the MC system.

Well, it seems I have found a solution for now. Using a Keces BP-60 and a PS Audio Dectet in chain the ifi power supply is connected to one of the unfiltered outlets of the Dectet now and I get steady EMI below 40 mV. Before I had connected the DAC to a filtered outlet all the time. (I got the Keces for a couple of days.)

I will give the MC high output system another try on weekend. Maybe the "semi-open" case of the ifi Pro is not that ideal?

1 minute ago, o.fz said:

(I added the description of my system, in my profile, but I don't see it under my posts. Should I do something to make it public?)

To make it visible under the posts you must fill the signature under " account settings".

Pls have a look where you have filled the signature. There you can chose the font size.

I will be at home tomorrow afternoon then I will have a listen and besides I will try my Schiit Mani with the MC system. 

46 minutes ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

Pro iDSD & MQA

Some of the best things in life are worth waiting for...

https://ifi-audio.com/products/pro-idsd/

Hmm.. I better should have waited with the update until tomorrow.. lol.

I downloaded the Win_iFi_Pro_iDSD_XMOS_V2.01.bin file and the update went smoothly but now I have the version 1.38 installed for some reason. And of course I have lost the MQA-ability of the 2.00 beta that was installed before. Could you check the download file please?

Bedtime here. Good night.

Mario

4 hours ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

The file is OK, but can you please turn your device off and reinstall it on a different USB port? We might have a glitch.

Ok, I tried a different USB port. Now I have 2.01 installed! Thank you!

On 2/21/2019 at 10:10 PM, Holzohr said:

I will be at home tomorrow afternoon then I will have a listen and besides I will try my Schiit Mani with the MC system. 

I have sold the Mani and am waiting for the iPhono 2 now.

And this issue with the beta 2.0 posted in the "other" thread is fixed now with 2.01. Thanks!

On 11/13/2018 at 10:50 AM, Holzohr said:

An issue I seem to have after switching from tube/tube+ mode to solid state shouldn't the tubes turn off? At least I think it was like this with the original firmware.

1 hour ago, danielet80 said:

The new firmware still support the MQA files?

Yes!

3 hours ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

Also, for anyone interested in Roon and Pro iDSD, this is how the chain should look like:

Roon --> Squeezebox streaming --> UPnP-bridge --> UPnP renderer (ethernet port of iFi Pro iDSD).

Copycat! 😎

2 hours ago, o.fz said:

OK, Mr Ifi doesn't answer to precise technical questions. I made several test by myself, and I would conclude that the iDSD indeed works better with the phase on the right side of the plug. So, on the continent, one should use German "Schuko" sockets, or, with French sockets swap the wires inside it, if the electric wiring is conform to the norm.

I now have a Keces BP-600 in use and "behind" the Keces it doesn't matter how to plug the plug. At least from a technical view.