IGNORED

iFi's Pro iDSD (official) - NEW Firmware - MQA and more.

Pro iDSD

Global Launch Update

pro1.thumb.jpg.fb7a137508344f980c8fe9a2551dbc80.jpg

News from the Skunkworks!

As you will know from recent iFi audio communications, we are about to launch the Pro iDSD. You may also know that the entire concept of this revolutionary new DAC was driven by you – the customer. Recent feedback has led us to make a small but significant alteration to the design of the Pro iDSD’s front panel. 

We have replaced the 3.5mm balanced headphone socket with a 2.5mm balanced socket for users with flagship IEMs. There is still, of course, a 3.5mm single-ended socket for music lovers with any other headphone/IEM. 

Columbo.thumb.jpg.e1ae2b524b1052807d2724e7f496dcd9.jpg

Unfortunately, this means a delay to the scheduled launch date of 15 February.  

We are the first to admit it has taken long enough for the Pro iDSD to come to market but we have taken everything on board in its creation – from the need for a standalone flagship DAC to match the technological wizardry of the Pro iCAN to the desire to touch the dizzying audio heights of DSD1024. That’s why we are incorporating this last nugget of customer feedback. In short it’s a case of ‘in for a penny, in for a pound’.  

To give the iFi Skunkworks time to implement this change, the updated global launch will be on 15 March 2018 and the Pro iDSD will feature at the Lisbon Audio Show, Portugal (16-18 March). However, we are pleased to announce that visitors to CanJam New York, USA (17-18 Feb) and Bristol Sound and Vision, UK (23-25 Feb) will still be able to see and demo the Pro iDSD on the iFi stand. 

Again, thank you for your feedback and your patience.

We look forward to seeing you there!

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

On 2/7/2018 at 3:55 PM, AMR/iFi audio said:

...the Pro iDSD will feature at the Lisbon Audio Show, Portugal (16-18 March). However, we are pleased to announce that visitors to CanJam New York, USA (17-18 Feb) and Bristol Sound and Vision, UK (23-25 Feb) will still be able to see and demo the Pro iDSD on the iFi stand. 

Will you be showing the Pro iDSD at Axpona?

Thanks.

We'll leave it here... 

The Sound & Vision Bristol Show 2018 is in the past now. Things happened there, oh yes they did!

bris2.jpg 

Yup, that's our full Pro rig on the Pro iRack.

bris1.jpg 

Some people were impressed more than just 'mildly'....

bris3.jpg 

And we had someone (aka The Cap'n) in there to answer the most technical questions there are.

Folks, we have a major announcement.

iFi audio has recently returned from a couple of outstanding audio shows – CanJam in New York, USA and Bristol Sound and Vision, UK.

As promised, audiences had the chance to audition the pre-production model of the new Pro iDSD. This gave us the invaluable opportunity to gather feedback from the end user, directly. 

We couldn’t miss out on the final chance to let our potential customers drive the Pro concept forward just one more time.

So, as is our want, we have taken the feedback on board and are tweaking the hardware and the software in response to these comments.

It seems that certain markets required the additional 2.5mm headphone socket and some the 4.4mm – so we’re doing both. Watch this space for more info on how and why!

Inevitably this will have an impact on the official launch date of both the Pro iDSD and the Pro iRack which we intend to launch together.

Skin says he needs more time (until the end of May) to implement these tweaks and will be able to give us a definite launch date nearer the time.

1 hour ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

until the end of May

More like until the end of never.

Not even a new date.  Now you have a date for a date.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

4 hours ago, Doak said:

Sounding WAY too much like that Light Harmonic boondoggle.

Design by/via "crowd" apparently has inherent flaws. 

Not really - LH is known for never producing the kickstarter product they've taken money for. This isn't like that at all. 

That said, all the iFi hype on the thread gets a little tiresome. I'd prefer it if they'd tone down the heavy marketing speak and make only real announcements. 

But I guess they can do what they want with their thread. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

9 hours ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

iFi audio has recently returned from a couple of outstanding audio shows – CanJam in New York, USA and Bristol Sound and Vision, UK.

As promised, audiences had the chance to audition the pre-production model of the new Pro iDSD. This gave us the invaluable opportunity to gather feedback from the end user, directly. 

We couldn’t miss out on the final chance to let our potential customers drive the Pro concept forward just one more time.

So, as is our want, we have taken the feedback on board and are tweaking the hardware and the software in response to these comments.

It seems that certain markets required the additional 2.5mm headphone socket and some the 4.4mm – so we’re doing both. Watch this space for more info on how and why!

Inevitably this will have an impact on the official launch date of both the Pro iDSD and the Pro iRack which we intend to launch together.

Skin says he needs more time (until the end of May) to implement these tweaks and will be able to give us a definite launch date nearer the time.

Great news for those wanting those options.

Can you summarise what the final headphone outputs will be now.

2.5mm + 4.4mm + ..? 

And which of all headphone outputs will be balanced outputs.

Thanks.

On 3/9/2018 at 2:32 PM, AMR/iFi audio said:

Hello iFI.  I've purchased a total of 8 items of yours over the last few years, including five separate DACs.  When I first heard about this new delay, I was encouraged that iFI finally saw the light and decided to include a 4-pin XLR jack on the iDSD Pro.  But apparently not.  I suppose the inescapable reality is that the audiophile market is flat (or worse) in the U.S., but is doing well in the Asia.  Ergo, the 4.4mm Pentaconn connector seems to be a way to help sell the unit in Asian markets.

I note that what iFI is saying is that hopefully, you'll (at last?) have an announcement for a solid release date at the end of May, not that the iDSD Pro will be released then.  Understand that many (including myself) are waiting for units to appear in the wild so that we can begin to get feedback on the sound quality.  That will be months after the initial rollout when the first units go to head-fi crowd which typically gives rave reviews to almost everything.  So now things are looking more like 2019.  Wow.

I wish iFI the best, but this latest snafu makes me doubt the competence of your design and marketing teams.  Good luck.

On 10.03.2018 at 8:27 AM, firedog said:

That said, all the iFi hype on the thread gets a little tiresome. I'd prefer it if they'd tone down the heavy marketing speak and make only real announcements. 

Well, we get from where you're coming with this. If we could have only concrete nfo we'd post such a content a lot more frequently. But it is what it is, Pro iDSD is very important to us and highly complex as a product. Since we've gathered some feedback recently and there is some room to make alterations, we've decided to do so.

We take no joy in delays, honestly. That's not a marketing stunt of any sort. We simply do what we have to in order to have as many people satisfied as possible. Sometimes it means additional delays. That's all.

On 10.03.2018 at 8:27 AM, firedog said:

But I guess they can do what they want with their thread. 

Yes, that's true, but we listen to what people have to say (good and bad) about our products nonetheless.

6 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Ergo, the 4.4mm Pentaconn connector seems to be a way to help sell the unit in Asian markets.

Yes, it does help and we have to pay attention to these places too. If a delay isn't too big, we're up for it and that's what happened this time.

I note that what iFI is saying is that hopefully, you'll (at last?) have an announcement for a solid release date at the end of May, not that the iDSD Pro will be released then.  Understand that many (including myself) are waiting for units to appear in the wild so that we can begin to get feedback on the sound quality.  That will be months after the initial rollout when the first units go to head-fi crowd which typically gives rave reviews to almost everything.  So now things are looking more like 2019.  Wow.

We do understand. At times we have to go with the lesser evil for the greater good and that's what we did with recent delay. But 2019? Now let's not be this grim, there's no reason. B|

I wish iFI the best, but this latest snafu makes me doubt the competence of your design and marketing teams.  Good luck.

We got the message. Pro iDSD is a complex project driven by people and we do our very best to satisfy their needs. Again, even if another delay has to take place and some bashing on top of it. We take it on the chin, we understand you.

Folks, just a quick reminder:

The Audio Show 2018 
...is currently ongoing in Portugal's capital city - Lisbon

[IMG] 

And we're there! You'll find us on the 3rd floor of Pestana palace. If you're around, visit us!

We're rocking with Pro iDSDs, BLs, Pro iCANs, Focal's Utopia headphones etc. 

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

See you there!

Nothing on iFi website, but Music Direct is listing them.  Anyway, please tell what digital input formats are accepted.

And I know you've (iFi) heard this forever, but the 2.5mm Coaxial connectors don't belong *anyplace*.

For *heaven's sake*, why don't y'all do the right thing and use mini Amphenol (called "XLR" but actually Amphenol) connectors on desktop gear?  Two (not 3) pin for mono SE or BAL on line connections, or 4 pins for 2ch headphone BAL.  Actually, 4 pins for mono SE and BAL would be ideal for star quad cables.  That said, the 4.4mm TRRS for 2ch BAL headphone connection is certainly better than anything smaller.  I know, you probably wanted to do that forever too.

Cheers.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

7 hours ago, Sam Lord said:

Nothing on iFi website, but Music Direct is listing them.  Anyway, please tell what digital input formats are accepted.

And I know you've (iFi) heard this forever, but the 2.5mm Coaxial connectors don't belong *anyplace*.

For *heaven's sake*, why don't y'all do the right thing and use mini Amphenol (called "XLR" but actually Amphenol) connectors on desktop gear?  Two (not 3) pin for mono SE or BAL on line connections, or 4 pins for 2ch headphone BAL.  Actually, 4 pins for mono SE and BAL would be ideal for star quad cables.  That said, the 4.4mm TRRS for 2ch BAL headphone connection is certainly better than anything smaller.  I know, you probably wanted to do that forever too.

Cheers.

There's still some time left before its official launch, but rest assured that we'll publish a material regarding Pro iDSD's rear and we'll explain thoroughly what it can do. Please stay tuned!

Folks, Salon Audio Montreal Fest is the place to be this weekend.

Over 100 exhibitors, over 300 brands! And yes, iFi audio is there as well. Montreal's Hotel Bonaventure during this weekend is yet another place to witness what our Pro iDSD is capable of. If you're around, please visit us!

The show starts on the 23rd of March 2018 at 11:00 local time and ends on the 25th of March 2018 (17:00).

0.thumb.jpg.bf9f9563d4a9198f68d6b5405a1a88fa.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.b6ecd2c852387a4ad29b62076986a55b.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.20d113b641269115dcaf6909ca568800.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.c2b34296a5e557ec3d7a5cace4dfc1b7.jpg

Folks, it's that time of a year, you know... eggs and all that jazz. Hence please allow us to leave our critter here:

5abd69ce95d97_iFiEasterEgg.thumb.png.f3831a69e2603521cc2eb3c33c0aa372.png

... aaaaand that's it! Right? RIGHT?!?

Well, nope.

We have something very special to share with you tomorrow. Very, very special.

Stay tuned!

Extra Ordinary MQA Easter Egg

[IMG]

Introduction

With Easter just around the corner, iFi audio has delivered an eagerly anticipated upgrade option as a very special Easter gift.

iFi first introduced MQA into its product mix with the nano iDSD Black Label in November 2017. Since then, iFi customers across the globe have been asking when this option would be available in other iFi products. The good news is that the latest improvements to the nano Black Label firmware version 5.30, ‘Cookies & Cream’, does just that.

Mqa for all

This latest firmware flavour not only adds the latest scoop to the nano iDSD Black Label sundae but it also dishes out MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) audio to the full range* of iFi audio products going back to 2013!

[IMG]

This ‘legacy’ update means that you can now download the MQA upgrade (PC and Mac) straight from the Support section of iFi’s website at no extra cost.

Mqa optimised

Firmware version 5.30 will optimise your device for MQA and can handle up to DSD256 and PCM384. Enjoy the MQA magic like never before.

And Finally…

None of the above would have been possible without the MQA software engineers who worked tirelessly alongside the iFi software team to make this unique opportunity happen. Thank you.

Go to https://ifi-audio.com/audio_blog/mqa-firmware/ to enjoy your upgrade.

This firmware provides MQA rendering as this is the ideal solution for portable products and those with power considerations. This means the workload is shared between the host (the computer) and the client (the DAC). The listener will still enjoy full MQA experience.

For more information on MQA, go to http://www.mqa.co.uk/customer/how-it-works

Legacy

*The only exception is the original iDAC.