IGNORED

iFi's Pro iDSD (official) - NEW Firmware - MQA and more.

I've discovered that

1. I've lots of CD that requires continuous playback,
  2. The Neutron thing gives me a headache.

Please,  Mrs/Mr Ifi, could you tell us when gapless playback will be available on the (otherwise) fantastic Pro iDSD?

Thank you and happy 2019.

[Synology DS218play NAS > Proximus BBox3 router] + HDPlex 200W lps > D-Link powerline adapters > Wireworld Platinium ethernet cable >  Ifi Pro iDSD streamer + Wireworld Electra 7 powercable > Esprit Eterna XLR cable > Gamut D3i preamp. + Esprit Eterna power cable > VTL XLR cable > Gamut M250 mkIII amp. > VTL cable >  Harbeth SHL5+ speakers + Rogoz stands - Accustic Arts active power strip (streamer & preamp.)

38 minutes ago, o.fz said:

I've discovered that

1. I've lots of CD that requires continuous playback,
  2. The Neutron thing gives me a headache.

Please,  Mrs/Mr Ifi, could you tell us when gapless playback will be available on the (otherwise) fantastic Pro iDSD?

Thank you and happy 2019.

At the moment we have no firm date but we do acknowledge the need.

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

On 12/27/2018 at 11:04 PM, gordec said:

Anyone knows if micro/ultrarendu or SMS 200 supports Pro iDSD? I want try to go streaming route purely for better SQ. It's already awesome with Paul Pang USB card and Uptone JS2 feeding the USB and Pro iDSD, but I wonder I can squeeze a little bit more out of it with a network renderer. It may be fools gold.

Yup, this will work. In fact one of our tech guys rolls with this setup. He has DLNA/UPnP on his sms-200 enabled, which is then set up to output USB audio into Pro iDSD pro and his phone is reading a USB stick attached to the SOtM.

• AMR/iFi audio changed the title to iFi Audio PRO iDSD - The Official Thread
22 hours ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

Well... Not sure if I'm positively reassured by your answer...

[Synology DS218play NAS > Proximus BBox3 router] + HDPlex 200W lps > D-Link powerline adapters > Wireworld Platinium ethernet cable >  Ifi Pro iDSD streamer + Wireworld Electra 7 powercable > Esprit Eterna XLR cable > Gamut D3i preamp. + Esprit Eterna power cable > VTL XLR cable > Gamut M250 mkIII amp. > VTL cable >  Harbeth SHL5+ speakers + Rogoz stands - Accustic Arts active power strip (streamer & preamp.)

Sorry for all my (stupid) questions: I'm a complete newbie in these matters.

Is it possible that the sound changes with the player? I'v the distinct impression that Neutron sounds better than Bubble upnp... By better, I mean sharper, with more space between the instruments. How could this be possible? Am I crazy?

2 hours ago, o.fz said:

Well... Not sure if I'm positively reassured by your answer...

We pay attention to our customers' requests/needs, digest and - if possible - implement them. That's pretty much it.

1 hour ago, o.fz said:

Sorry for all my (stupid) questions: I'm a complete newbie in these matters.

Is it possible that the sound changes with the player? I'v the distinct impression that Neutron sounds better than Bubble upnp... By better, I mean sharper, with more space between the instruments. How could this be possible? Am I crazy?

Yup, that's possible.

On 1/2/2019 at 3:10 PM, AMR/iFi audio said:

I do not own a ProIDSD, but I was quite excited when I initially read about it. However, I felt really depressed when I heard that gapless playback was not factored in when the product was initially designed and that firmware would need to be changed to support it (if this is possible, as you wrote in a later post). It sounds as if gapless playback support for the ProIDSD is an aftertought. I find it hard to understand how such an essential requirement in a network renderer can have been ignored in a product that took years to develop. I just hope that gapless playback will effectively become a reality in the ProIDSD, and that its implementation will not be of a "proprietary" type requiring the use of a specific controller, but rather be based on the same UPnP protocols as used for ex. by BubbleUPnP on Android.

Regards

On 1/1/2019 at 1:41 AM, AMR/iFi audio said:

You're welcome. Also, since 2019 is here: 

https://tidal.com/playlist/aee6099a-20ba-4560-9f40-d4b595ced8a6

Hi, I just update successfully the firmware 2.0 beta in my iDSD Pro. I noticed that in this firmware the restore volume don't work as the regular firmware: it is a bug or the function will return to be implemented in the regular/public firmware?

I run some MQA tracks from Tidal: it is normal that appears the MQA logo but the frequency of reproduction remain at 45Khz? It depend by the track that I listen to or a setting to do?

On 1/5/2019 at 2:37 PM, danielet80 said:

Hi, I just update successfully the firmware 2.0 beta in my iDSD Pro. I noticed that in this firmware the restore volume don't work as the regular firmware: it is a bug or the function will return to be implemented in the regular/public firmware?

I run some MQA tracks from Tidal: it is normal that appears the MQA logo but the frequency of reproduction remain at 45Khz? It depend by the track that I listen to or a setting to do?

Restore volume is when iDSD was last played, on boot up it goes to that volume.

Also, please see this: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQPLXT5ThYY

On 1/4/2019 at 2:33 AM, André Gosselin said:

I do not own a ProIDSD, but I was quite excited when I initially read about it. However, I felt really depressed when I heard that gapless playback was not factored in when the product was initially designed and that firmware would need to be changed to support it (if this is possible, as you wrote in a later post). It sounds as if gapless playback support for the ProIDSD is an aftertought. I find it hard to understand how such an essential requirement in a network renderer can have been ignored in a product that took years to develop. I just hope that gapless playback will effectively become a reality in the ProIDSD, and that its implementation will not be of a "proprietary" type requiring the use of a specific controller, but rather be based on the same UPnP protocols as used for ex. by BubbleUPnP on Android.

I agree with you that gapless playback is a basic requirement on a high end DAC and that it should be implemented as a general feature. However, the Neutron app plays gapelessly and works well with the Pro iDSD. To my ears and in my system, it's the best sounding app I've used so far. So this current limitation should not be regarded as a deal breaker, notwithstanding Neutron's irritating quirks and oddities. I also suppose that we can trust Ifi when they say that they're working on the issue.

Back to music now.

23 hours ago, danielet80 said:

Thanks, but this video not help me because I don't use the DAC to listen files streamed from PC. I use the DAC connect to the Cocktail Audio X50D, can you help me about this configuration?

Also, can you tell me something about the restore volume that don't work anymore with the beta firmware?

Can you please shoot our support team a line here: 

http://support.ifi-audio.com

On 1/6/2019 at 9:43 PM, danielet80 said:

Also, can you tell me something about the restore volume that don't work anymore with the beta firmware?

The beta FW on iDSD Pro and the volume restore should work fine.

9 hours ago, pl1jns said:

Does anyone know or can anyone comment as to whether adding a JCat net card femto possibily with JCat USB card to my PC would result in significant sound improvements. Currently i am streaming via usb from PC to the iFi idsd pro

Although we don't comment on other manufacturers' work, the better signal is sent to a DAC, the better it has to work with. Of course DACs differ in how they are subject to various improvements, that's a completely differnet story. 

On 1/8/2019 at 10:19 PM, AMR/iFi audio said:

The beta FW on iDSD Pro and the volume restore should work fine.

Yes, you're right, the volume before turn on the DAC was "0", so the volume restore don't work. If I turn up the volume and shut down the DAC, next time volume comes restored. My fault, sorry.

21 hours ago, danielet80 said:

Yes, you're right, the volume before turn on the DAC was "0", so the volume restore don't work. If I turn up the volume and shut down the DAC, next time volume comes restored. My fault, sorry.

All good!

Just thought I'd take the time to post a couple of Pro iDSD reviews in here. Maybe get you guys talking? What do you like about it? What don't you like?

Here's what Chris Martens from UHG and hifi+ had to say when he took the Pro out for a spin...

http://bit.ly/iFiaudioProiDSDChrisMartens

And Herb Reichert from Stereophile had this to say...

http://bit.ly/iFiaudioProiDSDHerbReichert

Looking forward to your thoughts...

Pro iDSD

The ifi ps for my Pro iDSD seems (not really it seems. it does) to cause a lot of EMI. I have already suspected this because I always could hear an unsteady noise out of my active speakers (with no music playback). Not from my listening place but when I am close to the speakers. I use the pre-amp feature of the Pro iDSD. At least I didn't have this kind of noise with my former DAC/pre-amps (Oppo HA-1, PS Audio DS DAC)

I have made two clips. Sorry for the quality.

EMI by ifi power supply

EMI by HDPLEX LPS 200 (19v output adjusted to 15v)

I wonder if my ifi power supply is faulty or if it is typical behaviour for this kind of ps. The HDPLEX does an amazing job btw.

Cheers

Mario

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro