IGNORED

WiFi router in the music room

I am VERY late to this particular party but I've just taken my WiFi router out of my listening room and it's made one of the biggest differences sonically I've experienced with my own particular system.

My NAS is my source (now with a linear PSU) and it was connected directly to a noisy Netgear EX6200 router. I previously had tried a microRendu and I recall the Sonore guys had recommended not to have a wifi router in the same listening room but I just didn't get around to sorting that out at that time. Anyway I've just now removed the router and put in a TP-Link powerline adapter to join the rest of the powerlines we already had runnning in the house.

Wifi is still available in this room so I can use Roon on my phone to control Roon Server playback on my Qnap NAS. But the house's main wifi router (now down to just one) is about 15 meters away.

But disconnecting the NAS from the noisy router made an incredible difference. Shouldn't be surprising because any component that adds noise to the system chain is obviously doing harm but I was a little slow in fixing this.

Its a TP-LINK AV2000 because I needed 2 ethernet ports. One for the NAS and one just in case I add something else later lol.

Most of you already know all this but if you haven't gotten around to removing your router from your listening room and in particular physically disconnected from any sources, then I suggest you do it asap! I took too long.

Cheers!

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up.

Your observation is important as I was actually thinking of moving my router to the listening room!

It appears that connecting your NAS to the TP-Link powerline adapter in your listening room improves the SQ despite the usual noise associated with power lines.

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Industry Affiliation : None

Thanks for the heads up.

Your observation is important as I was actually thinking of moving my router to the listening room!

It appears that connecting your NAS to the TP-Link powerline adapter in your listening room improves the SQ despite the usual noise associated with power lines.

Hi Jon, I'm happy this proved useful for one person! I'm no expert, but I think the wifi router connected to and in close proximity to my rig proved the greater of two evils, compared with the power line noise. I have my PS Audio Dectet also helping with that too. But there was nothing between my noisy router and NAS apart from a direct ethernet connection.

I could have kept the router there and added an optical/fibre connection between the router and NAS but I think severing the tie completely and getting rid of the router was the cheaper and better overall choice.

Thank you for the post. I have a wireless bridge in my music room so I can get music from my NAS which is connected upstairs to my wifi router. In my case, there was no easy way to access to my music other than perhaps using the powerline adapter as you mentioned. I went the fiber route between my bridge and music PCs (HQPlayer and NAA). I was pleased with the slight improvement I got adding the fiber. Ideally I would like to add a fiber switch upstairs and run some fiber down to my music room but thats not going to happen anytime soon so for now my wireless bridge + fiber optic is the best option.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Thank you for the post. I have a wireless bridge in my music room so I can get music from my NAS which is connected upstairs to my wifi router. In my case, there was no easy way to access to my music other than perhaps using the powerline adapter as you mentioned. I went the fiber route between my bridge and music PCs (HQPlayer and NAA). I was pleased with the slight improvement I got adding the fiber. Ideally I would like to add a fiber switch upstairs and run some fiber down to my music room but thats not going to happen anytime soon so for now my wireless bridge + fiber optic is the best option.

Thanks mate, the fibre route is another good solution that I looked at too. Another great option for others to consider, for sure.