IGNORED

Best windows software player

On 10/4/2016 at 5:29 PM, beerandmusic said:

I started a previous thread, but just called it best Software player, but got too much input on MACs, and i refuse (like the vast majority of pc users) to bite the apple.

Apple has decent players (or so i have heard, e.g. A+), but there is nothing decent for windows players. They are all missing something.

I have had Apple machines and they were good, but recently Apple has removed MagSafe, useful USB ports and bumped up prices for machines with quite small memory and ordinary screens. The Airbook 13 remained the last worth buying but was comprehensively beaten on price and features by the Lenovo 711 - which also had the Kaby Lake CPU I wanted.

Lenovo711_See_De_Clip4_June_2017.jpg

Amazingly Apple have no 'folding-back' designs in the range either, which I wanted as a touchscreen interface for the HiFi. The picture above is running Win10 and SeeDeClip4 music server/player.

I got tired of Apple's iTunes and Windows Groove, WMP etc because I wanted to be able to separate the player and server if required and also none of them sorted my music collection properly, which is part WAV arranged in Artist/Album format from when I ripped my CDs years ago, and part MP3/Flac/M4a etc from more recent purchases. I wanted these properly ordered and to be able to play all of them from any spot in the house, and to be able to use off-the-shelf consumer gear to do it: So I wrote SeeDeClip4 as I could find nothing that did all that.

BTW I usually stream 24bit music: Chrome (running SeeDeClip4 on the Lenovo above) can cope with many rates and resolutions.

Battling the Loudness War with the SeeDeClip4 multi-user, decompressing, declipping streaming Music Server.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, unbalanced output said:

quoted Keith_W saying: "Only software that supports HQP is Roon, Muso, and Alchemy. 

Currently I'm listening to a 96kHz/24bit Flac on my Apple via Chromium, being streamed from SeeDeClip4.

The main problem I have is not the kit that accepts HQ audio but actually finding the stuff, mine mainly comes from sound engineer friends, so it's not very mainstream :)

If you do use it please let me know which bits you like, dislike, want changed, and what may not work: This is software that's in active development. It also has an HF custom coloured dither for those pesky 16bit tracks that I'm rather pleased with. It will certainly browse your folders properly (3 different options of folder-vs-metadata integration) and has absolutely no issue with HQ audio as long as you chose Chromium/Chrome to play it through. Feedback is always welcome of any kind, it all makes the process better.

Firefox I discovered only likes 16bit audio, but you can literally throw anything at Chrome, I think Google's quite serious about making their stuff work: with rather helps my HQ audio.

Battling the Loudness War with the SeeDeClip4 multi-user, decompressing, declipping streaming Music Server.