IGNORED

Problems ripping "Enhanced CD's"

rmva

When ripping my CDs I find more and more new CDs straight from the store into my Mac wont load.

XLD doesn't see them, MAX crashes, RIP tells me the rip is gonna take indefinite years and so does EAC (on Windows XP pro, which I no longer use).

I seem to be able to rip these CDs in iTunes, but always they end up with skips and other horrible errors. So for now I keep these discs aside, thinking I'd deal with them later. 21 discs in my 'un-ripable' stack I realize all but one disc are so called 'enhanced' CDs. Is there any connection to that or is it shear chance? Can anyone help me out by telling me what to do? I have tried; cleaning the discs (both with water and some horrible gadgets I've bought), different cd/dvd drives (both cheap and very high end), and different rip software (see above) with all the variable settings before I ask this question.

Please note I'm only able to use mac software at this time. All my computers are on 10.6.2 Snow Leopard.

And also, I know you are not supposed to rip the data track, so that isn't the problem either :)

http://img410.imageshack.us/i/looksee.png/

thanks.

Ruud

~

Ruud

I don't know if the attached works as claimed, but may be worth trying.

SandyK

"You can rip Enhanced CDs using any standard CD ripper - an excellent FREE one that I use called CDex ( http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/ ) will display a list of all the tracks on the disc, and what type of track they are - audio or data.

The Enhanced content appears after all of the audio tracks, as a final Data track. To rip an Enhanced CD, all you have to do is just select all of the Audio tracks, and leave the Data track out, then rip the CD as you would a normal one. "

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Hi sandyk,

Thanks for your reply. I never select the data track when I rip or try to rip those CDs, however I will try the software in your link to see if that one does the trick :)

thx.,

Ruud

EDIT: looks like that's windows software, I have no windows system anymore.

~

I have a similar issue with various kinds of enhanced CDs when trying to rip them on my MacBook Pro.

However, when I use my wife's iMac to rip them, the problem goes away.

I'm chalking it up to hardware differnces, rather than software, in my particular case.

MacBook Pro -> AppleTV ->Rotel RSP-1570 -> Martin Logan Electromotion[br]MacBook Pro -> Icon HDP -> AKG K701[br]Apple Lossless all the way

Ruud

Something else you can try.

http://club.myce.com/f34/cloning-ripping-beatles-remastered-cds-300751/

"You might also try the old (but often effective) trick of holding don the shift key when you close the drive tray and ghold it for atleast until the drive spins-up and spins back down.

trhis often defeats the data section on a disc

including most copy protection schemes.

AD

Quote and reply Posted: 17-09-2009

#4 Seán (Administrator & Reviewer)

Exact Audio Copy should work (download here). I've even used it on enhanced (data + audio) and copy protected audio CDs and it still ripped them fine. Be sure to use the Shift-key trick Allan mentions.

When EAC starts, it will list the audio tracks and the data track. To retrieve the song names, click the icon that looks like a CD (right of the eject icon) and click 'Yes'. Select the audio tracks you want, then click the WAV CD->HDD icon on the left. "

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Hi watchnerd,

I have a new MacBook Pro, a 24" iMac (last years model) and a MacBook(late 2007). I use various external drives ranging from a 50 euro Samsung to a 300+ euro Plextor... I have this problem on all hardware (at least with the 20 or so discs mentioned) so I'm not sure if it's really hardware related (?) Are you and your wife's Macs on the same OS?

EDIT: trying the shift option

~

• 3 weeks later...

HI Ruud:

I don't know if this one can be an option for you (as I am a PC user) but I found this software several years ago,and is very useful for everything ripping, converting and also burning; this can rip copy-controlled CD's its called "CD-DA extractor" the website is:

http://www.poikosoft.com/

is very simple to use, has a high error correction, supports cue sheets, supports several extensiion files lossless, compressed or uncompressed, lossy ones almost all of them. I have ripped many Cd's that are copy controlled or protected and they sound great, easy, simple. You can download the free trial for 2 weeks and you can use the full features, then you will have to pay, yet it's a life-time purchase and you get all the future versions free. Hope this helps.

Luis

Hi Luis,

I actually know and used that software in the past. It's great, but I'm no longer using windows. For now I'm looking for ways to keep things like that, but I might have to change my mind and buy windows 7 one of these days :)

Thank you for your reply.

cheers,

Ruud.

(edit; where did my avatar go? LOL)

~

• 2 months later...