IGNORED

Music of Westworld the HBO series

Anyone else notice the tunes the old saloon player piano puts out in Westworld?

One is a Soundgarden tune. Anyone notice which one?

I knew something was strange about it and yet so fitting. Then I recognized it and it isn't the only one.

Those player piano's are something. My parents have one from the 1910 or so era. I remember pumping the pedals of the pneumatic driven beast when a kid. Surprisingly simple mechanism, and yet it could do a pretty fantastic job of emulating a great pianist. Have to be careful with those old paper rolls though.

The makers of the series actually have a functioning piano and found a company to make new paper rolls for the songs they record. Pretty neat bit of realism in this sci-fi emulation of reality series.

There is also some Stones and Johnny Cash in episode one on the player piano. Can you name those tunes?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Anyone else notice the tunes the old saloon player piano puts out in Westworld?

One is a Soundgarden tune. Anyone notice which one?

I knew something was strange about it and yet so fitting. Then I recognized it and it isn't the only one.

Those player piano's are something. My parents have one from the 1910 or so era. I remember pumping the pedals of the pneumatic driven beast when a kid. Surprisingly simple mechanism, and yet it could do a pretty fantastic job of emulating a great pianist. Have to be careful with those old paper rolls though.

The makers of the series actually have a functioning piano and found a company to make new paper rolls for the songs they record. Pretty neat bit of realism in this sci-fi emulation of reality series.

There is also some Stones and Johnny Cash in episode one on the player piano. Can you name those tunes?

Internet is a wonderful thing - "the answer came back from the great beyond":

Black Hole Sun – Soundgarden @ 0:34:37

Paint It Black – The Rolling Stones @ 0:45:38

Ain’t no Grave – Johnny Cash @ end credits

Sent from my SM-T230 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Internet is a wonderful thing - "the answer came back from the great beyond":

Black Hole Sun – Soundgarden @ 0:34:37

Paint It Black – The Rolling Stones @ 0:45:38

Ain’t no Grave – Johnny Cash @ end credits

Sent from my SM-T230 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Come on that's cheating. I recognized them honestly by watching the show. I did rewind the Soundgarden a couple times before I could put my finger on it.

Shame, shame, shame.......

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Computer Audiophile mobile app

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Come on that's cheating. I recognized them honestly by watching the show. I did rewind the Soundgarden a couple times before I could put my finger on it.

Shame, shame, shame.......

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Computer Audiophile mobile app

The Johnny and Stones were obvious to me, but I never listened to enough Soundgarden to catch that one.

It does illustrate the overall care they've taken, as do the videography and certainly the cast.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

It does illustrate the overall care they've taken, as do the videography and certainly the cast.

Indeed, I have high hopes for it. Even liked Ford's (Anthony Hopkins) shout out to the original in that scene with the very first old robot cowboy/bartender. Not real big on the heavy violence, but I perhaps they will unfold an intricate story with good character development.

While I am selective about the shows I watch, I'm probably not as critical as some. Case in point, my wife and I really dug "Vinyl," and that got panned.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone notice the slightly different version of Nine Inch Nails "something I can never have" during the orgy scene of episode 5?

Words not included, but put the well known words in, and the context is haunting. It also leaves a more real impression of what the orgy represents.

I still recall the taste of your tears

Echoing your voice just like the ringing in my ears

My favorite dreams of you still wash ashore

Scraping through my head 'till I don't want to sleep anymore

You make this all go away

I'm down to just one thing, and I'm starting to scare myself

I just want something

I just want something I can never have

You always were the one to show me how

Back then I couldn't do the things that I can do now

This thing is slowly take me apart

Grey would be the color if I had a heart

Come on and tell me, you make this all go away

I'm down to just one thing, and I'm starting to scare myself

You make…

I love the music in that series. I recognized Soundgarden and the Stones but couldn't place the third band. On Monday night's Lucifer, the title character was struggling with killing his brother and played a dark version of Metallica's "The Unforgiven" on the piano. Some shows just nail it with there soundtracks.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

Makes me think of the music in 'Peaky Blinders' (TV series). Lots of Nick Cave, Jack White (mostly White Stripes), P.J. Harvey, Arctic Monkeys, Tom Waits, Radiohead. Even late David Bowie ("Lazarus") and a little number by Leonard Cohen, "You Want It Darker" (season 3, episode 5). Dark, violent series, but well done and great music choices.

Westworld's music choices seem quite appropriate so far.

Makes me think of the music in 'Peaky Blinders' (TV series). Lots of Nick Cave, Jack White (mostly White Stripes), P.J. Harvey, Arctic Monkeys, Tom Waits, Radiohead. Even late David Bowie ("Lazarus") and a little number by Leonard Cohen, "You Want It Darker" (season 3, episode 5). Dark, violent series, but well done and great music choices.

Westworld's music choices seem quite appropriate so far.

Hey, looking at your avatar, you're not one of Wyatt's followers are you?

I haven't watched any episodes yet but plan to after reading this story posted yesterday:

Listen: The Music From 'Westworld' Is Finally Here : All Songs Considered : NPR

Thanks for the article.

If you are just watching now, plan on a binge. This is just the kind of show where each episode opens up more questions. So my guess is you are likely to see 5 episodes in about 5 hours 30 minutes. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Season 4 began a few weeks ago and although I wasn't paying close attention to the music in the first few shows, EP.3 has a Metallica's, Enter Sandman orchestrated in a bar scene. 

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet