IGNORED

Headphones at noisy workplace

Hi guys.

I am looking for closed over ear headphones. for use at work with my iPhone 6s Plus.

I work in a noisy environment, driving a large diesel forklift, been using Shure 4/535se in ears, with over the ears safety phones for some years now, but that gets tiring after a while.

Bought the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro earlier this year to try at work, but unfortunately they let too much noise in, also the iPhone has problem driving them without amp to satisfied levels.

My question to all you guys is this, do you know any better closed over ear headphones to use with my phone than the Sennheiser HD 380pro ?

I mostly listen to podcast while working, but sometimes music too.

Hopefully I will get some suggestions from you guys.

Thanks.

If the claimed 32dB ambient noise reduction for the 380 is not enough, I think you're going to have problems with any sort of passive phones. There is no sense in ruining your hearing just to alleviate boredom at work.

Can you borrow a set of active noise reduction phones and see if they work in your enviroment?

Greg

Etymotic IEMs are supposed to be the highest passive noise reduction set available but I get that you are looking for Over Ear. The best active noise reduction units I have tried are the Bose QC35. With that said they only work well with constant noise such as an air conditioning unit, lawn mower, etc. In my living room trying to block conversation, they do not work as well as IEMs.

Recommend getting some professional drummer over ear headphones such as Vic Firth or CAD - they provide great isolation for musicians. Check your local music store or amazon.

Excellent suggestion which made me think of one more. What about the ones pilot's use? Helicopters and other aircraft are notoriously noisy, surely they use some sort of well isolated cans.

Is the in-ear monitor uncomfortable for OP? Some people find custom in-ear monitor to be more comfortable and will block out even more noise than the Shure. Otherwise, I agree with others' suggestion that you want to try noise cancelling headphones like Bose. But you should try them out first because I find the counter-waveform that the noise cancelling circuitry generates to bother my eardrum a lot. Most people aren't bothered by it but if you are, it won't work for you.

• 2 weeks later...
Is the in-ear monitor uncomfortable for OP? Some people find custom in-ear monitor to be more comfortable and will block out even more noise than the Shure. Otherwise, I agree with others' suggestion that you want to try noise cancelling headphones like Bose. But you should try them out first because I find the counter-waveform that the noise cancelling circuitry generates to bother my eardrum a lot. Most people aren't bothered by it but if you are, it won't work for you.

The QC35 noise canceling is the least bothersome ever. In fact, I don't find it at all bothersome, and older editions were bothersome.

• 2 weeks later...
Audio-Technica QuietPoint headphones does the job well at half the price of Bose QuietComfort. However, do note that ANC headphones do come with a downside of non-audiophilic sound quality.

The QC35 comes very close to audiophile sound quality at home where it's quiet. On public transport, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I've arrived late to the discussion, but offer that I have the Sennheiser 280 Pro as well as the Etymotic ER-4p and both work well in my environment, with the IEMs giving better separation (~40db).

However, your described environment appears to be louder than that where you can use headphones or IEMs safely to attenuate the sound. One of the temptations is to use headphones and IEMs driven at high levels to defeat distracting sound. Unfortunately, high sound levels can damage hearing, but may interfere with cognitive tasks as well.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

The QC35 comes very close to audiophile sound quality at home where it's quiet. On public transport, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

My ten cents. Have owned four iterations of Bose QC cans, and currently own QC35's and QC25's. Last three iterations very good ANC but certainly no audiophile sound quality from any of them. The sound quality of Bose QC25 and QC35 is not even in same ballpark vs my Ether C headphones. Of course the Ether C's are considerably more expensive, but they are one of the true audiophile cans out there. Buy Bose QC25/35's for the ANC. Good enough for podcasts, travel, listening to music in hotel room, back home mowing the lawn. Bose QC headphones not good enough for audiophiles primary music listening headphone. >also< Bose QC35 Bluetooth function not 100% there yet. Some dropouts and static depending on where QC35's used. Prefer single AAA battery replacement in QC25 to recharging the QC35's wired-in rechargable. One day Q35 battery will need Bose servicing and that means extra expense and down time, and if user forgets to charge QC35 but needs the ANC function they are SOL till they charge 'em. Lastly the earpads in last three Bose QC headphones are mediocre and under moderate to heavy use, they start coming apart and replacements are $30 bucks a pop until user needs to replace them again for another $30. Third party earpads sold on eBay and amazon for the Bose headphones are not as good as the Bose earpads at noise isolation for those who may be tempted to save a few bucks. Been there, done that.

“Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Steve Bannon

Chief Strategist for President Trump and attendee on United States National Security Council.

One of the temptations is to use headphones and IEMs driven at high levels to defeat distracting sound. Unfortunately, high sound levels can damage hearing

So true.

“Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Steve Bannon

Chief Strategist for President Trump and attendee on United States National Security Council.

My ten cents. Have owned four iterations of Bose QC cans, and currently own QC35's and QC25's. Last three iterations very good ANC but certainly no audiophile sound quality from any of them. The sound quality of Bose QC25 and QC35 is not even in same ballpark vs my Ether C headphones. Of course the Ether C's are considerably more expensive, but they are one of the true audiophile cans out there. Buy Bose QC25/35's for the ANC. Good enough for podcasts, travel, listening to music in hotel room, back home mowing the lawn. Bose QC headphones not good enough for audiophiles primary music listening headphone. >also< Bose QC35 Bluetooth function not 100% there yet. Some dropouts and static depending on where QC35's used. Prefer single AAA battery replacement in QC25 to recharging the QC35's wired-in rechargable. One day Q35 battery will need Bose servicing and that means extra expense and down time, and if user forgets to charge QC35 but needs the ANC function they are SOL till they charge 'em. Lastly the earpads in last three Bose QC headphones are mediocre and under moderate to heavy use, they start coming apart and replacements are $30 bucks a pop until user needs to replace them again for another $30. Third party earpads sold on eBay and amazon for the Bose headphones are not as good as the Bose earpads at noise isolation for those who may be tempted to save a few bucks. Been there, done that.

I might accept it if you say exactly why the QC35 is not near audiophile quality.