IGNORED

Copying a CD to a USB drive without a computer in FLAC or WAV

Hi guys, trying to help my dad with copying his own purchased 1000 or so CDs to his 2TB Samsung T3 SSD drive (USB portable).

We've looked at the Vortexbox and Bluesound Vault options but they're out of his budget - $150-ish

I've showed him how to rip using XLD on his iMac but he gave up. He wants an easier solution that involves no computer lol (don't we all !)

The cheapest solution I could find so far is the Samsung UBD-K8500 bluray player. It has a CD ripping function built deep inside that rips to WAV. Handy but out of his budget - he already has an Oppo 103 player, so adding another one is overkill for him.

I told him to sell his Oppo 103 to pay for the Samsung but he refuses lol.

Just an external CD ripper that rips directly to a connected USB drive in FLAC or WAV - either is fine

Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

I fear it may not be possible for $150-ish but I'm hoping I'm wrong

A few commercial houses rip the CDs to a supplied USB hard drive. One quoted for 1000 CDs to FLAC lossless was USD1500. Google "audio cd ripping service".

So there's a choice, use a computer for free and long hours one at time, or pay someone else whether it's a commercial house or a houseful of students who'll rip while partying on. The latter may be subject to SQ variability and repairs and cleanups to the house....

The Oppo103 can be used for SACD ripping, so don't sell it.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

A few commercial houses rip the CDs to a supplied USB hard drive. One quoted for 1000 CDs to FLAC lossless was USD1500. Google "audio cd ripping service".

So there's a choice, use a computer for free and long hours one at time, or pay someone else whether it's a commercial house or a houseful of students who'll rip while partying on. The latter may be subject to SQ variability and repairs and cleanups to the house....

The Oppo103 can be used for SACD ripping, so don't sell it.

There's a 3rd and much cheaper choice - the Vortexbox. Just put a CD in and it automatically rips and gets meta data. It's above his $150 budget but no PC is required. I might have to help him go over budget if there's no cheaper and similar solution.

Vortexbox is free and can be installed on practically any PC. Get a cheap refurbished laptop on Ebay and install VB. Start ripping away.

Or, just use iTunes and rip to Apple Lossless. Ain't nothing much easier than that.

For him a headless solution like the complete standalone Vortexbox solution is better. Pop CD in and it does the rest automatically.

I don't think there's another headless solution out there that does this for cheaper. If there is someone please let me know :-)

I use VortexBox myself, highly recommended.

If its a one time thing, borrow a PC or use existing one and then reinstall Windows (or whatever). However, most of us would have a spare or backup PC lying around.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

I use VortexBox myself, highly recommended.

If its a one time thing, borrow a PC or use existing one and then reinstall Windows (or whatever). However, most of us would have a spare or backup PC lying around.

Thanks mate. Dad wants nothing to do with PC's unfortunately, which is why I had "without a computer" in the thread title

We already have the iMac solution and I've showed him and he started off doing it but he's just too lazy. The standalone 'headless' Vortexbox CD ripper (or the more expensive Bluesound Vault) is made for people like him for the ultimate convenience

Doing CD's one by one isn't an issue for me (me though.... different story lol)

I'm starting to think the Vortexbox is the cheapest of these solutions. It rips while he gets to listen to his music which is great for him.

Doing some more reading, I think I understand what you guys are hinting at in terms of old PC's.

Installing the free Vortexbox software on an old PC?

Will that completely wipe Windows off and essentially turn the Vortexbox into a "headless" machine? So you just turn the power on, wait for it to properly load and put a CD in and it does the rest?

Of course settings would be done remotely from a separate PC.

Am I getting the gist of it?

Doing some more reading, I think I understand what you guys are hinting at in terms of old PC's.

Installing the free Vortexbox software on an old PC?

Will that completely wipe Windows off and essentially turn the Vortexbox into a "headless" machine? So you just turn the power on, wait for it to properly load and put a CD in and it does the rest?

Of course settings would be done remotely from a separate PC.

Am I getting the gist of it?

Yes, just about sums it up.

Or check about installing the VortexBox OS itself on a USB and booting from the USB for the duration of the project. Last time I checked it was not possible, but everything from FreeNAS to OMV can be run off a USB these days.

Yet another option is to use an old HDD (or partition) and installing the OS on it.

All of them are cheaper alternatives to buying an old PC or VortexBox machine.

Also, the way I see it, its only for a limited run till all the CDs are ripped and you won't have the need/use for it after that. Hence repurposing or simply installing the OS on existing h/w is the way I'd go about it.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Yes, just about sums it up.

Or check about installing the VortexBox OS itself on a USB and booting from the USB for the duration of the project. Last time I checked it was not possible, but everything from FreeNAS to OMV can be run off a USB these days.

Yet another option is to use an old HDD (or partition) and installing the OS on it.

All of them are cheaper alternatives to buying an old PC or VortexBox machine.

Also, the way I see it, its only for a limited run till all the CDs are ripped and you won't have the need/use for it after that. Hence repurposing or simply installing the OS on existing h/w is the way I'd go about it.

I get you now. Apologies to all for appearing dismissive of these ideas earlier - I was a bit more clueless than I am now lol.

It's definitely required for a limited run, not a long term requirement so I like the idea of re-purposing the old hardware.

I see Daphile is another similar option too. For CD ripping it seems just as simple. Now to find an old PC around.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up finding an old HP laptop (8-9 years old) from a friend who was going to throw it out. HP 6710b

I had trouble loading Vortexbox software but I tried Daphile (similar free software based on LMS) and it's working a treat!

Started copying CD's in FLAC (uncompressed) and it works headless and automatically just like Vortexbox software.

Even though I didn't go the Vortexbox route you guys gave me the idea to use an old PC for CD ripping rather than buying the $400 standalone Vortexbox ripping device (which just has the same free software on it).

The only issue is the DVD drive on this laptop is old. Hopefully it holds up for another 12 months so i can get everything ripped. But so far it's ripping without issues.

Daphile even accesseses the AccurateRip rip database and cross-checks which I'm not sure if Vortexbox does.

Thanks again guys.

• 3 years later...

I know this thread is ancient, and the unit doesn't necessarily record to work to FLAC or WAV (that I know of at this point), but I've been testing out the LG CK43 that I bought on EBay for about $80. 

I've been able to record several CDs onto a flash drive, and they sound just as good as the CD when played on the unit. I haven't gotten around to transferring the music to my PC yet, and I haven't even read the instructions fully (as it was a display unit without instructions), but my recorded CDs sound good.

There's a drawback. I don't think it records the CD or track info, so I may have to try another app to actually catalogue the music or may have to do it manually, but that's a small price to pay for being cheap. Each CD seems to take about 20-30 minutes to record, so it's not fast. 

I'm going to explore it further in the coming days, but if you want to record some CDs without a PC on a budget and aren't pressed for time, this unit will do it.