sphinxsix

Amazing Music of the World.

João Bosco. As for the country of his origin - you've guessed it right.

What’s true of all the evils in the world is true of plague as well.
It helps men to rise above themselves.

―  Albert Camus, The Plague.

16 minutes ago, semente said:

If you're into Brazilian music, I suggest that you explore the work of Caetano Veloso, of his sister Maria Betânia and of Chico Buarque.

And there's this amazing album, a studio remake of a memorable concert in Buenos Aires:

+Caetano Velozo

By some reason recent posts lead me to recollection of great Italian, Fabrizio De Andre, man of great poetic gift and sad fate.

Some groovy sounds from Dap-Kings saxophonist Cochemea Gastelum solo release.

Yes, ketchup is a Chinese condiment.  Shamisen needs Japanese condiments.

IMO worth checking out.

Image result for Avital meets Avital

An original 'fusion' idea.

As Sufism urges unity and harmony and brings together eastern and western philosophy, in this programme traditional Persian music embraces Johann Sebastian Bach. Together with Iranian singer Haleh Seyfizadeh and tar player Ali Ghamsari, the Dutch theorbo virtuoso David Mackor, and the Canadian soprano Elisabeth Hetherington, the Netherlands Wind Ensemble will perform an oriental Bach in an intimate embrace with old Persian music.

1 hour ago, sphinxsix said:

An original 'fusion' idea.

Always thought fusion between two or more things appears when one is not capable of doing something particular well... Not a critique, just an observation.

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

Always thought fusion between two or more things appears when one is not capable of doing something particular well... Not a critique, just an observation.

For me fusion creates a chance for creative process based on a tension between two (or more) elements. The result is obviously not always interesting. I value lots of 'fusion' music e.g. Miles' from his 70's jazz-rock period (I'm sure you you will agree he was a great jazz musician) and also many musicians who fused diverse folk music with other genres like rock, jazz, funk, electronic or classical but I also understand that one can be interested only in folk/ethno music in its 'pure' form (I also am).

2 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

For me fusion creates a chance for creative process based on a tension between two (or more) elements. The result is obviously not always interesting. I value lots of 'fusion' music e.g. Miles' from his 70's jazz-rock period (I'm sure you you will agree he was a great jazz musician) and also many musicians who fused diverse folk music with other genres like rock, jazz, funk, electronic or classical but I also understand that one can be interested only in folk/ethno music in its 'pure' form (I also am).

Every creative process involves constructive conflict or tension between elements of some sort or another. Polyphony uses two independent voices to create harmony, etc. My remark was about very different thing. I see no necessity of mixing Bach with great Persian tradition, both are quite excellent and totally perfect by itself.

Yes I like Miles Davis music for last 40 or so years, and in any given time I was preferring Kind of Blue over Agharta. Of course I understand Miles was going out of the box many times by incorporating fresh elements from outside, but it was purely organic, kind of smelting down process, when you input some existing elements and get something very new as an output. Rather than mechanically fuse two non-mixing media, whatever. 1+1=more than 2)

22 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

I usually describe it as something akin to adding ketchup and mayo to a Thai curry... Yuck.

Or pineapple on a pizza.

Or 7up and ice in a nice red wine (hint to mother-in-law).

Though it may make things more palatable to people who are not prepared to embrace the difference, but enjoy a slight exotic twist.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes