IGNORED

Amazing Music of the World.

@semente Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares reminds me always of Bulgarian girls doing backing vocals during Goran Bregovic's concert (BTW he was accompanied by the most unbelievable brass section I've ever heard live!)

[video=youtube;-RDjX6Hjb3c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RDjX6Hjb3c

@christopher3393 I never quite got into Tibetan music even after hearing it live many times. I know however that many free jazz musicians were inspired by it! I often wondered whether Peter Brotzmann's - Machine Gun wasn't example of such inspiration (probably my personal association..)

Like this?

Arc Descents David Hykes & The Harmonic Choir

That's definitely suited to the style!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I don't know if this recording has been mentioned before but it's a long time favourite that kept me company during my travels in India and Nepal in the late 90's:

This might be something you would like - Zakir Hussain (Tabla) with Rakesh Chaurasia (Bansoori)

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

John Mclaughlin's "Remembering Shakthi" lineup of Zakir Hussain, Shankar Mahadevan and V. Selvaganesh included a mercurial talent by the name of U Srinivas - famously known in India as Mandolin Srinivas. Sadly he was taken too early from us but when he was here he was special. A recognized child prodigy, his innovation in using the (electric) mandolin in Carnatic music was tremendous. Fortunately he did tour globally and there are videos on Youtube for us to remember him by.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

I love Zakir Hussain's playing in both contemporary and traditional contexts:...here with Remember Shakti, featuring John McLaughlin, the late Carnatic mandolin virtuoso U. Srinivas (incredible musician, check out the traditional album Rama Sreerama,
for example), et al:

...and accompanying bansuri (traditional Indian flute):

This might be something you would like - Zakir Hussain (Tabla) with Rakesh Chaurasia (Bansoori)

John Mclaughlin's "Remembering Shakthi" lineup of Zakir Hussain, Shankar Mahadevan and V. Selvaganesh included a mercurial talent by the name of U Srinivas - famously known in India as Mandolin Srinivas. Sadly he was taken too early from us but when he was here he was special. A recognized child prodigy, his innovation in using the (electric) mandolin in Carnatic music was tremendous. Fortunately he did tour globally and there are videos on Youtube for us to remember him by.

Great minds think alike! ;) Seriously, grateful for your insights and appreciation of the music of India in this thread. As for "world music", an unwieldy behemoth of a genre, I now have many good tips to orient future exploration. Thanks.

Like this?

Arc Descents David Hykes & The Harmonic Choir

Sounds interesting though I'd prefer an overtone choir with more 'lower abdomen' energy.. you know something like this but with ..overtones.. ;):);)

BTW something's wrong with the first guy's hair and beard, they just don't suit the other two guys, don't you agree.? ;)

@Nikhil

You are a real culture ambassador of India on CA! Searching the net for Mandolin Srinivas.. And Kalbelia.. Fantastic!

Dear Nikhil:

I must now sent you both a gift and a bill for the lost work hour that I sat transfixed watching this wonderful concert! It has been decades since I saw Zakir Hussain in person. He is always a delight. But Rakesh Chaurasia is somehow new to me, and I was absolutely transported by his heartfelt and transcendent playing.

Thank you so much for sharing this.

Peace,

--Alex C.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

@Nikhil

You are a real culture ambassador of India on CA!

But, but... he mis-typed 'Shakti'! :D

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Exuma, originally from Cat Island, Bahamas, "known for his almost unclassifiable music: a strong mixture of carnival, junkanoo, calypso and ballad"
This reminds of so many musically diverse things - from James Brown to nyabinghi and is none of them at the same time. It's so original! Thanks a lot! I think I will order their first two albums. BTW on their (his.?) 1986 'Rude Boy' (ROIR) album they played plain ska :

As for nyabinghi (my favourite is Ras Michael & The Sons of Negus) :

No Night In Zion - A Nyabinghi Session inna Church (Marseille, France):

I think the name of the band speaks for itself..

Minimalist miking.. (room acoustics a bit to live for my taste but the atmosphere of the recording compensates IMO)

[video=youtube;8TFvlvbl-30]

Thanks. A great band who's singer's joyous heart is fully in it!

Here's Los Super Seven. Apologize for quality:

51CF5PiS1QL.jpg

I listen to practically every genre of music. Jazz, blues, rock, classical.. But world music is a very special part of my collection, probably because of its (I think the right word will be) 'earthly' quality it usually has. At the same time I'm convinced there are many artists from different parts of the world I haven't discovered yet.

Please feel free to list your 'desert island' world music recordings regardless of genre (reggae, ethno-jazz, just about anything that has ethnic roots or just such an element).

Here is my personal shortlist :

Mari Boine - a Norwegian vocalist exploring Sami culture - especially 'Eallin', 'Eight Seasons' and 'Live in London' bootleg.

Wow. That was incredible! Must get.