IGNORED

Amazing Music of the World.

Thanks for the link.

The writer's views are quite similar to mine, although he expresses himself in a much clearer manner and has deeper knowledge of the subject.

He even mentions Peter Gabriel's label whose name I had forgotten...

The recording I suggested is probably of an early more traditional phase.

R

RealWorld (Gabriel's label). They have many exceptional recordings of Khan and others. They provided downloads for years, then sadly stopped and went exclusively to CD and vinyl.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

@ semente

I'm quite into klezmer but I admit mainly in modern or jazz-fusion form. I recommend strongly John Zorn and his label (Tzadik) recordings. For example:

Yay klezmer! :)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Like this?

Arc Descents David Hykes & The Harmonic Choir

That's definitely suited to the style!

• 6 months later...
28 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

@AnotherSpin

As for me - Nooran Sisters prove that spirit of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan is alive and well although in different country and in female bodies! Awesome!

As for your winter spent in India I feel pure envy.. :)

Anyone who calls up recollections of NFAK is someone I have to hear.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Omar Sosa & Seckou Keita 'Tama Tama' from their 2017 'Transparent Water' album.

A very good album. Highly recommended for african folk fans.

https://www.7digital.com/artist/omar-sosa-and-seckou-keita/release/transparent-water-6038120

+1

4 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Yes, Peter Gabriel gave a winning ticket to some real world artists. Unfortunately, overproducing, westernizing and mixing styles artificially in many cases.

Yes, agreed.  Much of this particular album maintains essential simplicity, though.

Shankar - 2 fantastic albums:

"Pancha Nadai Paillavi"

"Eternal Light"

Saw him with John McLaughlin.  Mind-blowing.  (Since they were opening for Miles Davis, that was just the start!)

Sometimes of course all is not as it seems.  I saw a wonderful concert many years ago with Ralph Towner and John Abercrombie.  I was a friend of a friend of the promoter and got to go backstage afterwards.

A guy was asking Abercrombie in disbelief how he’d managed to play a particular passage during the show.  Abercrombie laughed and said the name of some effects pedal.  He said “If I could do that without [the effects pedal], I’d be a motherf**ker!”, and laughed again.

Perhaps Arabic-inflected more than truly Arabic, but I love Bombino, especially the album “Nomad.”

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, semente said:

When they first appeared their music was a very fresh and innovative approach to the tradition heritage but after a couple of records they lost their north and ended up disbanding some years later.

It was clever of WW to pick them up for his tribute to Lisbon.

Have one of their albums, but don’t remember which right at the moment.

Edit: ‘Existir,’ released in 1990.

9 hours ago, Superdad said:

Oooh, maybe we can start a thread about Wim Wender's films--and the generally amazing soundtracks to them! :D

I even have soundtracks to films of his I have never seen.  I enjoy most of his films (though I've yet to tackle the 5 hour version of Until the End of the World), but sometime the score is better than the movie (The Million Dollar Hotel).

I love both soundtrack and movie of UtEotW.

12 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Adnan Joubran.

Nice.  Reminds me of Shadowfax.

• 1 year later...

'World Music' by Joseph and James Tawadros - actually my album of the evening No.2 :) - I've taken two days off and discovering a new and interesting oud (and not only oud as this album proves) player doesn't happen to me every day..  

Once again - thanks @semente

It seems that some drainage of my bank account is unavoidable again..

http://josephtawadros.com/

Those boys got some genes.  Wonder whether it was mom, dad, or both.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 9/2/2019 at 1:59 AM, Nikhil said:

I like the instrumentation. Reminds me of the band Morphine, which I loved.

• 3 years later...
22 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

My album of the evening.

Album cover

Emahoy Tsegué-Maryam Guèbrou: The barefoot nun who became Ethiopia's 'piano queen'

https://youtu.be/kiR_JFdEqr4

(The link could not be embedded because youtu.be does not allow embedding of that video.)

From the title of the BBC article I get a vision of WC Fields as a carnival barker intoning “The barefoot piano queen of Ee-thee-OH-pee-yah!”

Sorry, too active imagination.