IGNORED

Article: AURALiC ARIES MINI and Lightning DS Review

Nice review.

The Sonos vs. Aries Mini comparison is really only valid if comparing the Sonos Connect into an existing speaker system.

I have three Sonos speakers (and a connect) and these get more playtime than anything else I have. The usability for Sonos is unmatched (my wife and daughter have no difficulty with it and easily navigate my local NAS collection of tracks, as well as streaming services to which I subscribe: SiriusXM, Spotify and Tidal, plus internet radio versions of local stations).

With the Aries Mini (or Connect), one has to turn on the amp, select the right inputs on it and the outboard DAC, et al. It's a first-world problem, no doubt, but ever since I placed a Sonos Play:5 in the loving room, the 2-channel system only gets used when I am alone and am "critically listening". For most music listening, the Play:5 sounds fantastic and the synching between other Sonos speakers is flawless.

One electrical plug and no other wires or boxes.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just the way I like 'em."

Nice review.

The Sonos vs. Aries Mini comparison is really only valid if comparing the Sonos Connect into an existing speaker system.

I have three Sonos speakers (and a connect) and these get more playtime than anything else I have. The usability for Sonos is unmatched (my wife and daughter have no difficulty with it and easily navigate my local NAS collection of tracks, as well as streaming services to which I subscribe: SiriusXM, Spotify and Tidal, plus internet radio versions of local stations).

With the Aries Mini (or Connect), one has to turn on the amp, select the right inputs on it and the outboard DAC, et al. It's a first-world problem, no doubt, but ever since I placed a Sonos Play:5 in the loving room, the 2-channel system only gets used when I am alone and am "critically listening". For most music listening, the Play:5 sounds fantastic and the synching between other Sonos speakers is flawless.

One electrical plug and no other wires or boxes.

Perhaps AURALiC will release a speaker with a MINI built-in, then a comparison to the Play:5 would be in order. I've never heard the company discuss releasing a speaker, but it would be really cool.

I have several friends with Sonos and they love it. The Sonos soundbar is a hit with them, but they only pretend to care about quality when I'm in the room :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Nice review Chris. For what it is, I think the Aries Mini is a fantastic product that will satisfy most people that are looking for a better sounding solution than a Sonos or an inexpensive, poorly engineered streamer. I think it's also a great solution for people that are looking to replace or have no interest in using a computer as source. I've used it as a stand alone player for a secondary system, as well as a streamer into much higher-end DACs and it performs quite admirably in both systems. It sounds better than my macbook pro and isn't burdened by many of the usual shortcomings of a computer based system. Sure there are better sounding or less expensive solutions that someone with a little knowledge could cobble together, but I have yet to find an out of the box anywhere near the price of the Aries Mini that sounds as good and performs as well as it does.

bluesound node 2? Sonore microRendu? to name a few :-)

Grow up.

I am quite grown up and prefer not to support a treasonous, tax-dogging, sweat-shop operating, POS of a company that makes overpriced, overrated products and rakes in obscene profits off the labor of the poor and the deluded that buy into their devious marketing scheme........it has nothing to do with sound. BTW, I've used streaming devices with controller apps that are supported on Android & IOS. If you think using a controller app that runs on IOS sounds better than a controller app that runs on Android you might want to see a doctor, at the very least your ears are playing tricks on you.

I am quite grown up and prefer not to support a treasonous, tax-dogging, sweat-shop operating, POS of a company that makes overpriced, overrated products and rakes in obscene profits off the labor of the poor and the deluded that buy into their devious marketing scheme........it has nothing to do with sound. BTW, I've used streaming devices with controller apps that are supported on Android & IOS. If you think using a controller app that runs on IOS sounds better than a controller app that runs on Android you might want to see a doctor, at the very least your ears are playing tricks on you.

Wow Arthur - I hope you make your own clothes, grow your own food, are your own doctor etc... It's going to be a difficult life not supporting a company that as you say, "treasonous, tax-dogging, sweat-shop operating, POS of a company that makes overpriced, overrated products and rakes in obscene profits off the labor of the poor and the deluded that buy into their devious marketing scheme"

By the way, the computing device you typed your comments into was made by who? Made where?

P.S. Maybe I missed it, but I don't believe Apple has been found guilty of treason, has it?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Google devices are made in the same place and they also filch your personal information and usage to sell to advertisers. I've been to those factories when I worked for Motorola.

Top end Android devices are all in fact made in the same place as Apple devices and they cost as much as Apple devices but they also deceptively steal your information on top of paying the same prices with next to no support or upgrade path. This is actually really well known. You are the product with Android yet you also pay for the device. What a scam they have going.

True you don't get layers of crud software or exploding batteries with Apple though...

I didn't say iOS devices sound better. I said developing to audio interfaces and hardware in iOS is far easier and more consistent than Android devices. You should read more carefully before you blow a gasket next time.

Try a little reading;

Music Creation and Low Latency Audio on Android and iOS

or this one

http://superpowered.com/androidaudiopathlatency

"Android latency issues on music apps are well-documented and are caused by Android’s audio stack simply not being capable of low latency audio output. Despite Google’s well communicated efforts (Google I/O 2012, 2013 and 2014), and improvements in Ice Cream Sandwich audio latency (Android 4.0) and Jelly Bean audio latency (Android 4.1), the so-called “fast mixer” in Android is still not able to reach the magic number of latency below 10 ms. The Google Code android sound latency issuehas became a hotly debated piece of Android audio development history already."

This is only one of the issues in developing audio interfaces with Android. Android itself is a nightmare to develop and support for because of varying hardware and versions of the OS. Almost all iOS users are on the latest version of iOS but many brand new headline Android devices sell with old versions of Android and will never be updated. Also the return is not there because Android demographics are so dismal as Android users tend not to buy software and other things.

Google often develops it latest versions of its apps for iOS first just because the demographics are better and there is more money there.

bluesound node 2? Sonore microRendu? to name a few :-)

Bluesound is getting interesting. They have a sound bar now and a sub doing out shortly. Plus they focus on high res. Too bad their sound bar is optical only like Sonos.

I've been fine with my traditional receiver and speakers plus Airplay throughout the house at the same time with my choice of speakers but I'm keeping an eye on Bluesound. Except for the Play 5 Sonos has been really lagging in development for awhile now. They haven't been doing well and are laying off people so its questionable how much innovation we will see from Sonos.

Wow Arthur - I hope you make your own clothes, grow your own food, are your own doctor etc... It's going to be a difficult life not supporting a company that as you say, "treasonous, tax-dogging, sweat-shop operating, POS of a company that makes overpriced, overrated products and rakes in obscene profits off the labor of the poor and the deluded that buy into their devious marketing scheme"

By the way, the computing device you typed your comments into was made by who? Made where?

P.S. Maybe I missed it, but I don't believe Apple has been found guilty of treason, has it?

There are plenty of companies I don't buy from or do business with because I disagree with their policies, processes or politics. I feel Apple is one of the biggest offenders in the tech world and it's my prerogative to vote with my wallet. You, sir, can do whatever you want. I also assume, perhaps I'm wrong, that I have a right to voice my opinion on this site. Am I wrong Chris?

There are plenty of companies I don't buy from or do business with because I disagree with their policies, processes or politics. I feel Apple is one of the biggest offenders in the tech world and it's my prerogative to vote with my wallet. You, sir, can do whatever you want. I also assume, perhaps I'm wrong, that I have a right to voice my opinion on this site. Am I wrong Chris?

Of course all opinions are welcomed here at CA and I like that you vote with your wallet. I just think your vilification of Apple is a bit hypocritical if you're not going to vilify the other companies doing the same things. Also, you're a bit over the top calling Apple treasonous. The company's tax measures are 100% legal here in the US. If I new how to or if I could do what it does with respect to keeping money from the Government, I'd do the same thing (provided it's legal in the US).

Bluesound is getting interesting. They have a sound bar now and a sub doing out shortly. Plus they focus on high res. Too bad their sound bar is optical only like Sonos.

I've been fine with my traditional receiver and speakers plus Airplay throughout the house at the same time with my choice of speakers but I'm keeping an eye on Bluesound. Except for the Play 5 Sonos has been really lagging in development for awhile now. They haven't been doing well and are laying off people so its questionable how much innovation we will see from Sonos.

A soundbar and a sub that focus on high res.

Damn, I can hardly wait! (NOT)

A soundbar and a sub that focus on high res.

Damn, I can hardly wait! (NOT)

This would be combined with other speakers as Sonos does to make a 5.1 solution as Sonos does. If you are not familiar with Bluesound they have a website.

As I said....I'll stick with receivers and speakers but at least Bluesoubds is upping the game over Sonos

Of course all opinions are welcomed here at CA and I like that you vote with your wallet. I just think your vilification of Apple is a bit hypocritical if you're not going to vilify the other companies doing the same things. Also, you're a bit over the top calling Apple treasonous. The company's tax measures are 100% legal here in the US. If I new how to or if I could do what it does with respect to keeping money from the Government, I'd do the same thing (provided it's legal in the US).

http://www.globalresearch.ca/ireland-and-the-apple-tax-scandal-the-entire-political-establishment-colluded-with-apple-in-an-act-of-economic-treason/5543652

The Age of Corporate Treason

I like the aries mini enough to use it in my main system in place of a dedicated and optimized mac mini running audirvana plus. mac mini now does server duty for the aries. i like the integration with Tidal, but your idea of having your Tidal 'favorites' show up in your main library would be killer.

One aspect that can be confusing relates to the ROON question. I mistook the fact that Auralic is clear about the mini never being a ROON endpoint to mean ROON is unable to stream to the mini at all.

When setting up my mini, I had the misfortune to stumble into an issue with the included TIDAL subscription. TIDAL themselves were very slow to respond to support requests, however Auralic demonstrated uncommonly excellent support. It's a rare CEO who takes a direct personal interest in resolving an issue.

Based on my experience I'm convinced that Auralic has a very bright future ahead. Now, if only they would release the Lightning software from it's fruity confines so that I'm not stuck peering at the interface through the screen of my phone ...

Quote from The Computer Audiophile "I have several friends with Sonos and they love it. The Sonos soundbar is a hit with them, but they only pretend to care about quality when I'm in the room :~)

Hi Chris, thanks for the laugh and thanks for keeping your demeanour while some of your members loose theirs. Come on guys it's a hobby, no need to take it all so seriously.

I've had the Mini for 6 months now and play files via an external HD and stream from Tidal using LS on my iPhone. Initially painful but now the app is working well and no issues. It is currently in my main system and will stay there but I'm thinking of installing an internal SSD so that it becomes a very mobile device. I use an external DAC but the integrated one is OK but not great IMO.

One thing I do take seriously is American corporations avoiding paying tax in Australia by setting up off shore "loans" to countries like Ireland, so they pay some tax there but at a greatly reduced rate. It maybe legal but it is morally wrong to take advantage of the infrastructure built by a country's people and then avoid paying fair taxes by taking the money offshore.

This is not tax minimisation it is tax avoidance and there is a very large ground swell developing in Australia to close the loop holes, from the prime minister down to the man in the street, however, to be successful we will need to encourage other countries to join the fight.

Believe me when I say it's creating a lot of ill feeling.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Not seeking the moral hi ground just looking for fairness and common decency - listen to what your own Mr Buffet has to say about tax avoidance in contrast with Trump. If you really believe it is OK for companies not to pay tax in the countries where they earn their profits then you deserve Trump and I can understand why he has polled so well.

What you need to understand about tax law is that it that is constantly being undermined by smart arse tax lawyers who are paid obscene sums of money to constantly find legal loop holes for companies to AVOID tax. It's a constant merry-go-round.

The looser is the poor smuck stuck on wages, or a salary, whereby the company he works for deletes his tax for him so he never has a chance to minimise it. The poor are subsidising the rich. Another example of obscene behaviour by american corporations is well documented in the excellent movie "The Big Short". The looser was the average American, while the criminals got off scott free, because simply put the LAW was wrong.

I ran my own business for 15 years and I can assure you I'm not a left wing radical and I deplore the nanny state but if our leaders and large corporations don't start behaving ethically then the reaction you are currently seeing (e.g. Briexit and Trump) will only multiply.

PS what do you mean companies don't pay tax? what planet are you on?

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

I'd like to share my experience switching over to the Aries Mini. I used to be a Logitech "Squeezebox Classic" user starting as from 2006 and it served us well until its power supply let us down early 2016. I am a Mac user and my entire iTunes library (#14k songs) was stored in ALAC format on the iMac running the Logitech renderer which streamed music via wifi to the Touch. The main technical benefits of this setup were the ability to stream music without having to suffer the pains of using ethernet cables and the ability to backup the music library regularly using the Mac's built-in "Time Machine" backup system. Playing music required for the Mac to stay switched on at all times however we remained quite happy with the setup. I did some limited listening comparison between SONOS and the Bluesound Node2. I discounted the SONOS as I found the sound to be altered somehow. I did like the sound coming from the Node2, I found it to be more open and detailed. I was ready to go for the Node2. However, I read some positive articles about the Aries and decided I needed to have a go at it as well. I happened to be in France near Toulouse and I took the time to go to a hifi shop where it was possible to audition the system under proper conditions. I was blown away by the experience, the vendor showed me how this really affordable device proved itself worthy of playing music whilst being connected to audiophile equipment (for example coupled to Triangle and Reynaud speakers, I can not recall which integrated amplifier was used). I was convinced at once and bought a unit on the spot. Back at home, I got it connected in a breeze and made some technical adjustments to my setup. The music library is now located on a QNAP NAS (incl. local backup) that is connected via Ethernet to the Apple Airport Extreme wifi router. The Aries Mini fetches the audio files through high speed wifi ac. It never experienced any drops even though I got a wife and kids who are heavy consumers of internet and remote media. The IOS Lightning Server is a high performance workhorse, it reindexes the entire library over wifi in less than five minutes. The IOS client app is still at version 3.3 (Sep 2016) and that is another story. It used to work fine as long as the Mini's firmware was v3.0. Since the server's firmware upgrade to v4.0 I find that the client app crashes every so often. I am eagerly waiting for the new version to fix the stability issues (December 2016 ?). Also, having gotten used to the app, I miss some minor "usability" improvements like the ability to browse the entire library by artists alphabetically and view their respective albums sorted by year of release. For your information, my amplifier is an integrated from YBA (french made) and the loudspeakers are Spendor LS3/5a's getting support from a Spendor S-3 subwoofer. It's far from being the world's best, most accurate setup i but we enjoy it every single day, several hours per day. It works reliably and we tap our feet very happily, wife and kids included.

• 3 months later...

Hello

I am the owner of a Mini. I find that I am quite a bit annoyed with the Lightning DS app - as well as some of the inconsistent messaging from Auralic about features like Roon compatibility, room correction features etc as it applies to the top-end Aries, the LE and the Mini. So I have been considering a move to a small-green-computer server with Roon (for the UI) + HQPlayer (for the upsampling and convolution filters) and a microRendu. Given that you have designed quite a few servers and have also reviewed the microRendu very favourably, can you describe any changes you have noticed between the two platforms - that is - any differences between the Mini and SMG+microRendu?

I am quite convinced of the hardware that the Mini has - but the software has set my teeth on edge from day1 and I would love to switch if the two could be compared. I only use the USB out of the Mini and use an Ayre Codex as my DAC - and plan to do the same with the uRendu - that is - have the uRendu connected to the DAC as a NAA endpoint for the stream produced by HQPlayer.

Of course, I am asking purely from a sound-quality standpoint - and not a general comparison since the Mini is meant for a very specific sort of demographic and a more general comparison is likely to not be as useful to anyone.

Enamel

The waffling on information seems even more suspect seeing as the device does do hi-res since Tidal started streaming it.

As of now, I see hi-res albums in showing up as 24-bit on the UI.

However, their website says MQA will never come to Auralic (when it clearly has): Will MQA support comes to AURALiC device? – AURALIC LIMITED

The link you posted was from last years CES - which was when they announced their intention to support MQA initially.

Now - I understand that all of this is completely explicable. Initially MQA was intended to have direct support in the DAC - but they have since reversed that stance and support software decoding. However - the problem is Auralic's communication in this matter does not keep up.

As for their promises of room correction: What makes ARIES different from other streaming product? – AURALIC LIMITED

See what I mean by confusing/mixed messaging? :) Anyways - my real issue is with their software being hard to use and quite buggy - and only secondarily related to their customer communication. My quandry is - should I have to suffer these issues to get sound quality - or is equivalent sound quality (or better) possible with the uRendu and sonic-transporter with Roon+HQPlayer?