IGNORED

Article: AURALiC ARIES MINI and Lightning DS Review

I had Aries mini + sbooster for 8 moths and in the end I must say that Raspberry 3/Digi+ board/IFI iPower/Max2play OS/LMS(Logitech media server) sounds better and still you can use it via Wifi(actually it sounds better over Wifi). If you need also DAC, still I think that there are much better choices like Raspberry 3/Digi+ board/IFI iPower/Max2play/LMS + Shiit Modi Multibit DAC 250$. And if you need to spend this kind of money for streamer just go with Sonore microRendu!

All nice suggestions except for the fact they are either not for the target market of the ARIES MINI or they aren't 1:1 comparable products.

So Aries mini is basically for people who doesn't care about sound quality, but easy of use. In that case Aries mini should sell in Best Buy :-D

I don't follow your logic.

For what it is price is too high. You can have Raspberry Pi 3 for 35$, HiFiBerry Digi+ for 40$ and IFi iPower for 50$ .That is 125$ in total and still it sounds better than Aries mini 500$ .That is just not good value. Even if you add Shitt Modi Multibit 250$ it is still 375$. Even if you add 300$ linear power supply for the aries mini it can't match Raspberry rig. With linear power supply we arfe getting to 800$ and for less you can have microRendu 690$(with IFi iPower)[h=1][/h]

Have you personally done these comparisons head to head? And personally heard the sonic differences you claim?

If so - very interesting.

If not - then it's just speculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

yes, I have used and compared all of them for couple of months. Raspberry Pi rig vs Aries mini with sbooster vs microRendu and this the result:

First place: microRendu

Second place: Raspberry pi rig

Last place Aries mini with sbooster

Understood, and your points are well taken.

I came at the Aries Mini as a former Logitech Touch user, so I just wanted to point out to those looking for a modern renderer to consider the Aries Mini too.

To those who would argue that the Sonore microRendu is more suitable, that may well be. It wasn't out at the time I bought the Aries Mini. At some point I would love to compare the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

There is no contest between Aries mini with sbooster vs microRendu. microRendu is on another level even with Ifi iPower power supply

OK now I see what you're saying. You are saying apples are better than oranges. Not Apple B is better than Apple C. No worries.

Strange reply :-) . All of them are just "streamers" and they do the same job. How did you come up with apples and oranges :-)

OK fair enough - I'm glad you used your ears to form this opinion.

Can you confirm that, for the purposes of this comparison, all 3 units were functioning as a UPnP renderer - i.e. pulling files from a UPnP server from the network? And that in all cases, they were connected to the same external DAC?

Thanks for sharing your findings.

Yes, the same DAC and NAS ext.. I have tested it with both Chord Hugo DAC and Shiit Modi multibit.

btw. Shiit Modi multibit DAC is much better DAC than one integrated in Aries mini

If you view them all as just "streamers" that's ok, just not how I view them. Some require computer savvy for installation, some are digital only,, the MINI has an entire ecosystem plus analog outpu and real product support etc.. Looking at the products as a whole they are apples and oranges.

P.S. I'm not saying the MINI is for everyone. I have all the products you mention and like all of them. Different horses for different courses.

Ok, it's your view, no problem with that

btw. Auralic them selfs think that Aries mini and microRendu are comparable as they released pdf file where they list streamers in similar price and list their features and ext. This mean that Auralic consider microRendu as direct competition

http://www.auralic.com/download/streaming_compare_chart.pdf

microrendu has also good customer support...

Computer savvy? Anyone can with couple of clicks create SD card with OS for Raspberry rig. If this is too difficult you can order final product ready to play music from max2play.com or other companies.

Nice review Chris. For what it is, I think the Aries Mini is a fantastic product that will satisfy most people that are looking for a better sounding solution than a Sonos or an inexpensive, poorly engineered streamer. I think it's also a great solution for people that are looking to replace or have no interest in using a computer as source. I've used it as a stand alone player for a secondary system, as well as a streamer into much higher-end DACs and it performs quite admirably in both systems. It sounds better than my macbook pro and isn't burdened by many of the usual shortcomings of a computer based system. Sure there are better sounding or less expensive solutions that someone with a little knowledge could cobble together, but I have yet to find an out of the box anywhere near the price of the Aries Mini that sounds as good and performs as well as it does.

bluesound node 2? Sonore microRendu? to name a few :-)